PDA

View Full Version : Self Esteem

Bill
19-01-10, 03:34
What is beauty?

I was watching a film recently called Shallow Hal. In case you haven't seen it, it's about a man who is hypnotised so that he sees all women as glamour models when in reality he wouldn't give them time of day. When he meets one woman, he cannot understand why others can't see her in his eyes. Even her father runs her down because in reality she's a "large girl" so can't see why anyone would be attracted to her. When Hal hears what her father thinks of her, he mouths off at him telling him how beautiful she Really is, even though of course Hal is seeing her as a glamour model.

However, as time goes by, eventually the spell is broken and he then sees her for her true looks but by then he's realised he's fallen in love with her and can't be without her. He sees past her weight problem and they end up together.

Just a story I know but with a valid point...

One thing I find Very Sad is when people have such low opinions of themselves because others have always run them down and never given them praise so that after years of being told they're no good, every time they look in the mirror, they see themselves through those peoples eyes and so can't believe they really do have anything attractive about them.

I was wondering, how many people on here consider themselves as unattractive or "nothing special" and can't believe it when others have told them how lovely they really are?

One thing I feel we should all remember, if we fall in love with purely looks, the romance will never last because we all age with time. However, inner beauty is everlasting so no matter how our outer looks change, if we fall in love with someones inner beauty, the romance will last because we will always love them for the person they are.

Even if we have a long wet nose, bushy eyes, hairy whiskers and short legs a person will always be beautiful if they have a beautiful personality because That's what counts most!

Ignore the bad things people say and instead listen to your heart. If you could never mean hurt or harm, then what others say simply isn't true because the real truth lies in you.....

Sometimes I feel in some ways animals are better than humans and it's not they who are taught by us but us who should learn from them.:hugs:....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOspN586Nzk&feature=related :woof

Bill
19-01-10, 03:44
Picture of my best friend, my dog so hugely missed.:bighug1:

leo05
19-01-10, 05:19
big hugs hun and he is so so cute xxxx and yes i can relate to your post 100%

I was wondering, how many people on here consider themselves as unattractive or "nothing special" and can't believe it when others have told them how lovely they really are?
i am one of them people

hugs hun and am here for you xx
lea

Under~The~Stars
19-01-10, 12:53
Hey Bill :hugs:

What a great post, as always :flowers:

I have seen the film "Shallow Hal" so I know what you're talking about.

It's an interesting subject...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say.

True beauty in my eyes has nothing to do with looks! It's what someone is like on the inside that counts...

I don't see myself as being attractive, either by looks or personality. I really don't like myself, and therefore can't see why others would see me any differently. Interestingly, they do say you can't be loved, until you love yourself. I find it very difficult to hear it when/if people say I am lovely. I can't accept it.

I agree with you regarding animals. My dog is my best friend. I've always found it fascinating how an animal who can't speak can give me more love and affection than any human... Doesn't it go to prove that actions really do speak louder than words? :) My dog has such a soothing effect on me, and can help in the darkest of days, and yet he doesn't even say a word... :)

Lovely photo of your best friend, Bill. Beautiful... :hugs:

x