PDA

View Full Version : Feeling lonely

Cookie
21-12-05, 22:59
Hi everyone,

I didn't really know where to post this. I figured depression was a big factor in how I'm feeling so here I am! I just wanted to get a few things off my chest really.

I'm feeling incredibly low lately and very isolated and lonely. I think it's the time of year, everyone's going out with their friends for a christmas drink and I'm stuck at home. Since suffering with anxiety and panic attacks, my friends have slowly but surely dropped off one by one, (obviously not real friends were they?) but now I'm in need of a friend, I have no-one. Don't get me wrong, I have people I can talk to on the site, but it's not the same as having a 'best' friend is it?

I'm trying my hardest not to let my depression win, but it makes it so much harder when you haven't anyone to lean on. I'm just feeling crappy to put it bluntly. Christmas should be a time for happiness shouldn't it?

Shell.x

clickaway
21-12-05, 23:33
Hi Shell,

I know exactly where you are coming from hun - whilst I could cope with Christmas as it was a daytime thing with family, it was New Year's Eve that really got me as everybody was partying except me.

Or so I thought.

Maybe I've got that much older and can now cope with it fine. So things haven't changed, it just how we think that has.

Have you enquired locally whether there is a group you can join with like minded people?? Sometimes they aren't easy to find, but why don't you ask the Community Mental Health Team in your area if there is any kind of support group that might be of use.

Take Care,

Ray

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

alexis
21-12-05, 23:48
Hi Shell, I can see exactly where you are coming from, I think you only have to look around to see how many people are struggling, It is Christmas and it is hard work! To see everybody else enjoying, what in my case and probably yours is what was always enjoyed before starting with this.

Not a lot I can say really other than treat yourself, do some pampering ,hire a DVD. Take care Shell.xxx

love from Alexisxx

If I help one person today it was worth getting up.

kate
22-12-05, 09:13
Hi Shell,

I too know exactly how you are feeling. Surrounded by people having fun and partying makes for depressing stuff. I too have lost a lot of "friends" over the years and it is hard not having anyone to talk to.

I just keep telling myself that once Christmas and the New Year are out of the way then spring is just around the corner bringing with it lighter evenings and nicer weather.

Love Kate xx

Ma Larkin
22-12-05, 11:01
Aw Shell, I know how you're feeling hun. I feel like i've been abandoned by everyone I care for this year. I've got 3 kids that are going to keep me busy, but no adult company. Everyone is going out partying now, I couldn't even go on my works bash because I couldn't get a sitter (the kids will only stay with my mum and she was working). Its such a lonely time of year for some of us and it seems to drag when you just want it to be over and done with. I have 2 weeks off work and it seems like a year! I do have an abundance of friends who have been really good to me, but I haven't got a real friend that really understands my anxiety. Because I've got the kids, apparently I should appreciate what i've got but there are times when a little adult conversation would mean so much to me, someone to understand what its like for anxiety sufferers and doesn't judge me when i'm feeling a little bit jittery. I'd love a jolly mate to cheer me up at Xmas and make me feel a part of it, wouldn't you? I suppose we never know what's around the corner and we can only hope that one day someone will truly understand us. Take care and try and make the most of it. You're not on your own, Les, xx

Piglet
22-12-05, 11:22
Hi Shell,

I know its not the same as having a bestest friend to do stuff with but you have definately got the site and we can all identify with what you are saying/feeling.

I sorta love Xmas and sorta hate it all at the same time:)

21st Dec is the longest day of the year I think and then we start coming back down the other side which is rather nice. That means we are halfway through and pointing in the right direction for spring.

Perhaps you could come into chat in the evenings and see who's about???

Most of us will still be around hun regardless - if I don't get on then it will only be because I have eaten a ridiculous amount and need to be left to slim back down to get out of the chair!!!!!

Love Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Yvonne
22-12-05, 15:04
Hi Shell

I do think this can be the worst time of year for people who are suffering anxiety/depression.

Happy Clappy stuff everywhere. Carolls that just make you want to weep. People seem to be so happy and when you are not feeling that way it can be really hard to get a grip.

I get lonely during the daytime and the best thing for making yourself to feel a little better is to get on this site. You don't feel so alone and realise that there are loads of people feeling as you do yourself.

Please don't get too low. Take lots of care

Yvonne

Y Goble

Meg
22-12-05, 16:49
Hi Shell,

Think I'm around for most of it.. want to meet up sometime between Christmas and New Year and we'll see if we can persuade Miss Parkin and Tammy and Jules and Trev to join us for a very informal impromtu something.

Meg xx

alexis
22-12-05, 17:16
O i wish I lived closer Id be there, just found out all mine return to work on Boxing day, whatever happened to the good old days, lol

love from Alexisxx

Meg
22-12-05, 17:22
Alexis, If we sort one out - come anyway ..its not thaaaat far !

Meg

alexis
22-12-05, 17:28
Keep me informed Meg and i will see how i feel. After all I got to London. Direct trains without football suporters are the best.love from Alexisxx

Karen
22-12-05, 18:07
Hi Shell

Sorry you're feeling low and very alone at the moment. I think the time of year makes it worse because thoughts tend to focus on spending time with families and loved ones.

I'm also going to be spending Christmas alone this year and expect I'll spend a lot of time online so I don't feel completely isolated.

As Piglet said, it might not be quite the same as having a 'best' friend but we are all still here for you. The meet up would be something for you to look forward too as well.

Alexis - I am sure you can do it! As you say, you made it to London and stayed overnight too!

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Luke92
02-03-09, 18:30
I often feel really isolated, even though I have a pretty good social life. I often feel like watching telly, just to feel connected to the world, or ring a mate, just so I don't feel isolated. I think its just part of it. :D x

simonT
04-09-09, 16:02
Hi everyone,
that time of the year is fast approaching,feelings of trepidations are starting to creep in..
too much travelling,hard work,making money...but then what's the point.Money does not/cannot buy happines.
i fear to spend the festive season on my own again.
any advice ???
simt