PDA

View Full Version : Can't put weight on

adamant
20-01-10, 10:36
Right my BMI is 20.2 which they say is normal but I am stupidly skinny. I hate it so much.

It worries me becuase of the ammount I eat. I eat a lot and cannot put a single pound on. I dont loose any weight though, Just can increase it.

My hips stick out so much, its horrible. My usual diet is something like:

breakfast - 4 weetabix, Glass of Orange juice.
dinner - 3-4 sandwhiches, yoghurt, apple
evening meal - usually a big meal, rice, tuna, chips, chicken etc etc
4th meal - large plate of pasta or similar
before bed - toast or another sandwhich

I also snack all day and eat lots of fruit.

at one point I was eating nearly double my calories intake and not putting a single inch on.

Could it be my thyroid that is stopping me putting on weight? Is there a way I can help with this without going to the doctor just to see if my condition improves? Any vitimins I could take or something?

Thanks

Brunette
20-01-10, 10:52
You are eating quite alot there so you might well have an overactive thyroid which means your metabolism is in overdrive, burning up the calories you consume very quickly. Taking vitamins or other supplements won't make any difference to this.

A simple blood test will show this up and medication will put it right. Please have the courage to visit your doc, it really is something that an be sorted out easily.

Good luck

B

Jellie
20-01-10, 11:15
Hiya, I have the same problem although my BMI is very low. My siblings also are underweight but eat like theres no tomorrow.. It would be good to check your thyroid out for sure as that does seem to do that. Also protein is supposed to help, i was thinking about getting a protein shake to help me build up a little (not like muscley but to a normal size hehe). If its not thyroid sometimes people just have good metabolisms but its always good to double check first for sure.
:hugs: x