PDA

View Full Version : Breast tissue thickening any experiences?

meg86
20-01-10, 12:28
Hello ladies :)

Hope that some of you have been through something similar! i have a large area of thickened tissue in my left breast that i first noticed 3 months ago, under the thickened tissue it feels like lots of soft bumps, no actuall fixed lump.

I have been to my doctors 3 times about this and they wouldnt refer my for a scan due to my age! (im 23) the first doctor i said it was very swollen and gave me some cream, it hadnt gone down so i went to another doctor who keeps saying " nothing there nothing there" its so frustrating as she wouldnt feel the other breast to compare and my mum came with me to tell her there is a definate thickening!! and she can feel it but she kept saying you are fine etc etc. She also examined me very differently to the other doctor, it was like a prodding technique, if i checked my breasts the way she did i wouldnt feel anything either!!

I am due to see another doctor tomorow so wish me luck :) i am just worried as alot of breast cancer websites say that cancer can appear as a thickening or a lump, i dont know why i am being dismissed like this.

I can see lots of threads on breast lumps but not thickening, it would be nice to know if someone has had something similar :) thank you!! xxx

Balinese
20-01-10, 13:27
It makes me so cross how young woman are dismissed like this.

I'm sorry I can't say that I have any experience of this, but I hope tomorrow the new doctor is able to reassure you, or refer you on if need be.

x

meg86
21-01-10, 09:40
anyone :weep:?

i love tea
21-01-10, 10:17
Hi Meg,

I'm having a similar problem at the moment. Saw the nurse and the doctor on Tues, and the doc said the tissue is swollen in my left breast, but that because it is a large area, it's a reassuring thing - either glands or hormones. I've got to go back after my next period for a check up.

I have just started back on the pill, so I'm hoping that's caused the problem, although I've been panicking about lumps since Christmas, so I can't remember if the tissue was swollen before, or whether it's all the prodding I've been doing!

Let us know how you get on at the doctors. Take care x

meg86
21-01-10, 10:58
Thanks for replying i love tea :)

Thats what my doctor first said to me, my left breast was swollen, and i didnt feel any lumps a first but yea i am guilty of poking and prodding away and its very lumpy and thick now feels scary :( , He said minor hormonal fluctuations can cause one breast to be swollen, with you going back on the pill this is very likely your cause.

Thank you and good luck to you to xxx

Jo3016
21-01-10, 14:09
Hi Meg

How did you get on at the doctors?

I have just returned from the breast clinic where I thankfully was told that there was nothing to worry about. I had an examination and an ultrasound. I hope you manage to get a referral because it does really put your mind at rest.

Take care x

meg86
21-01-10, 14:36
helllo Jo :) yay so glad that your results came back clear :yesyes: i bet you are relieved!!

My appointment isnt until 6.30 tonight, wish me luck!! i really hope i get a referral to!! :) xx

Jo3016
21-01-10, 14:39
Thanks Meg and good luck to you too - just insist on a referral. It is your right. Will be thinking of you x

meg86
22-01-10, 09:29
Hello!

Went to my 4th doctors appointment and still no referal :( i have been to 3 different doctors now i have to move on from this i guess, i expressed that i was very concerned and that i recieved a leaflet through confirming that cancer can be in the form of a lump or thickening, the doctor wasnt very nice to be honest, she didnt say hi when i walked in she was completely expressionless and when my mum tried talking to her she turned her back on her! with that being said she was very thorough with her examination.

She said she could tell it was inflammed but nothing really to worry about and thinks i could possibly have a little bit of mastitis. I really cant worry about this any further, i feel a bit better today but i know soon the anxiety will come in and ill be back to square one. Wish me luck!! thanks xxx

i love tea
22-01-10, 10:10
Hi Meg,

I'm sorry you had another frustrating visit, although I think you can be reassured that you didn't get a referral. I was chatting to my sister about this last night (she's a nurse) and she said that even if there was the tiniest bit of doubt in the doctor's mind, they would refer someone with breast problems.

I think it's a common theme with many of us on this forum that it's when we don't get concrete answers that we can't 'let go' of the anxiety - I certainly know that's true for me. We just want the reassurance of knowing 100% what the problem is, but often with things like this, it seems we may never know the cause, and I'm sure it will settle down soon...

Take care hon :flowers:

kags
20-10-10, 18:46
Hello ladies :)

Hope that some of you have been through something similar! i have a large area of thickened tissue in my left breast that i first noticed 3 months ago, under the thickened tissue it feels like lots of soft bumps, no actuall fixed lump.

I have been to my doctors 3 times about this and they wouldnt refer my for a scan due to my age! (im 23) the first doctor i said it was very swollen and gave me some cream, it hadnt gone down so i went to another doctor who keeps saying " nothing there nothing there" its so frustrating as she wouldnt feel the other breast to compare and my mum came with me to tell her there is a definate thickening!! and she can feel it but she kept saying you are fine etc etc. She also examined me very differently to the other doctor, it was like a prodding technique, if i checked my breasts the way she did i wouldnt feel anything either!!

I am due to see another doctor tomorow so wish me luck :) i am just worried as alot of breast cancer websites say that cancer can appear as a thickening or a lump, i dont know why i am being dismissed like this.

I can see lots of threads on breast lumps but not thickening, it would be nice to know if someone has had something similar :) thank you!! xxx

hi
im 46 but have had the same problem my doctor sent me to a Breast Clinic the dr there said it is just thickening of breast tissue due to hormones, i had a mamagram and a scan both were clear im sure you will be ok i know how scary it is

karen