PDA

View Full Version : omega 3 fish oil, does anybody find it good for depression?

smudger
20-01-10, 13:30
Hi, to help my depression Im trying to find a an omega 3 fish oil supplement with a high percentage of EPA. Ive found one that is guaranteed 90% epa fish oil rather than the normal 12% to 20% that you get in supermarkets and health shops. Trouble is, its £14.99 for 60 tablets and I need 2 to 4 for 3 months to start with. SO EXPENSIVE. Ive googled but cant find anything else. Does anybody find it helps please?

smudger
20-01-10, 13:30
meant to say I need 2 to 4 daily to start with, thats why its expensive!

suzy-sue
20-01-10, 13:48
I take it but it didnt help with my anxiety or depression ..But it is good for you in other ways too .Especially this time of year as we do lack vit D because there is no sunshine .It can help with concentration levels too ... Sue x

smudger
20-01-10, 14:53
Thanks suzy-sue. Thats useful to know. I cant multi task these days as I have concentration issues! I read a story yesterday by a soldier who suffered anxiety and depression and tried omega 3 but found in its less concentrated forms it did not help his depression. He has since found a 90% concentrate which he swears by. I can only find 1 supplier though!Suppose I could live on oily fish like a penguin! Love fish but not every day!

suzy-sue
20-01-10, 14:57
YOUR WELCOME HUNNY ...:roflmao:It does seem expensive but a lot of goood stuff is ,.You get what you pay for .But worth it ,if it helps in someway ..:hugs:Sue x

smudger
20-01-10, 15:02
I agree, and we are what we eat! That will be my epitaph!

Cat80
20-01-10, 16:49
I took the ones from Holland and Barretts and Simply Supplements (only costs £4.95 for 120 capsules 1000mg). They didn't do anything for my anxiety and depression and they made me feel quite sick when on them, quite a common side effect it seems.

They do seem to work for some people though so I hope they do for you :)

smudger
20-01-10, 17:09
Thanks for your feedback Cat80. I think the Holland and Barratt ones are not high enough in fish oil for some people to be effective coz theres other stuff thats added. Ill double check though. I think 90% EPA is the key word. I think Ill give omega 3 a try though, I'm willing to do anything if it helps! Just got an issue with sourcing the most effecive and concentrated at a good price!

Cat80
20-01-10, 17:36
I tried some with the 90% EPA, I can't remember where I got them from but I know it was online as I spent my time trying to find the cheapest ones lol (they are not cheap are they).

I tried them in the end for only about a month that time (this is after trying some from Holland and Barretts and Simply Supplements) but again couldn't hack the nausea side effects. Definately give them ago, make sure you try them for 3 months as that is usually how long it takes for any sort of vitamins etc to make a noticible difference.

smudger
20-01-10, 20:52
Again Cat80, thanks for that.I don't USUALLY get nausea with supplements so hopefully won't this time. :)