PDA

View Full Version : Introduction - health anxiety

lollypop!
20-01-10, 14:44
Hi, I'm a 27 year old female. I've had a variety of different anxiety issues at varying degrees of intensity since my first panic attack at age 10.

I've found visiting this site really helpful since discovering it a year ago but have just been reading others posts and didnt sign up. I guess because i felt like my problems are not as severe but if I am honest with myself, although i appear to function normally, anxiety is destroying my life. And I do need support from others who know what a hell the inside of your own head can be.

My main problem is health anxiety. Mostly I turn every little symptom into some form of cancer but I have also lost a job in the past because I convinced myself my anxiety symptoms were M.S!

I am seeking support now because I want to overcome this problem before it takes over any more of my life and enjoyment of it. In two days I am moving to a fabulous new city on the other side of the country for my dream job with my gorgeous boyfriend whom I adore. I dont want my hyperchondria to ruin my 'new' life.

My boyfriend is very supportive at various times when I have confessed my fear of having numerous ailments from early menopause to skin cancer! He listens, he researches, he assures me everything is probably fine with with that research instead of just blowing it off. BUT how long can he do this for before he gets sick of it??? I dont want to risk it anymore. I want to get better. And I want to be a great teacher not one pre-occupied with her own fantasy illnesses!

My current phobia is that I have inflammatory breast cancer. In reality is is probably something like this: I had bigger, heavier breasts from pms. I was scared it was from cancer. I did a breast exam. My breast were lumpy as most women's are during pms. So one spot in particular freaked me out and I prodded it for about a week. Then noticed a white spot which is probably a montgomery gland. I didnt know so i popped it. Now it is sore and the area red from 7 days of prodding so there you have it - it now has the markings of Inflammatory breast cancer (redness, dry skin from soap doing multiple breast exams, a change in the nipple, tender - you name it!). Trying to keep a level head but im freaking out and hoping all the above is the truth and not the dreaded C lurking!!!

nomorepanic
20-01-10, 14:46
Hi lollypop!

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Jaco45er
20-01-10, 16:01
Hi lollypop and welcome:)

MONKEE_MAGIK
20-01-10, 16:19
Hi Lollypop,

Welcome to NMP! :D

I am also a 27 year old who had been fighting with health anxiety since I was very young (i think I must have been about 7 when i had my first health related panic attack!).

Again the same as you I try and function normally, have a wonderful supportive partner, have a job but deep down I am struggling to keep the anxiety at bay.

I recently relocated with my other half just over a year ago so I am also in a similar position to you.

If you want a chat I am more than happy to offer any support I can!

Monkee

lollypop!
21-01-10, 14:34
Thanks everyone :)

Monkee, It is nice to hear from someone in such a simliar situation (although, its not nice that anyone goes through it at all!). It does make me feel less alone. I hope we can be a good support in overcoming this together.

MONKEE_MAGIK
21-01-10, 22:27
Hi Lollypop,

I know what you mean! I am up for overcoming this anxiety as it has taken up too much of our lives!!!!

Monkee :D

Lauz
22-01-10, 02:58
I can relate, anything symptom I have I automatically think the worst. Has become more apparant recently and have been to councelling and have put it down to compounded grief since I lost a 3 close people in my life in a matter of 6 months, all suddenly and unexpectedly along with other lifes stressed I've gone throught his year.
So you could only imagine what thoughts were going through my mine when I had my first panic attack a month ago and didn't know it was a panic attack!

Most recent is that I have headaches or more like dull pressure feeling in my head which in reality is possibly from my neck (as that is stiff and sore from an injury) or from the meds that I am on for my anxiety and panic. Most rational explanation yes, yet I have to think irrationally and think the worst!

I feel for you, and I don't know really how to help get out of the rut, cause really we only do this to ourselves by worrying and being paranoid about every little thing.
Just remember your not alone, and not silly cause I know it can be so frightening.

Something to make you giggle though, 2 months back I noticed the skin between my breast and my arm was larger (I had put on a bit of weight), yet one side was bigger than the other, so I started probing around to the point that I felt my underarm so much it was sore and tender that I was convinced there was a lump. I went to the doc and he said it was just FAT :)

Neesh X
22-01-10, 17:33
Hi lollypop,

Im 24 and have sufffered with anxiety for as long as i can remember. I have lost two close family members in the last 2 months and my anxiety has reached a whole new level and its all stemed from constantly worrying over my health- a chest pains a heart attack, head ache is a brain tumor etc.
I am slowly learning to cope with it now im not completely cured but there is definatly a light at the end of the tunnel. I feel a little better each day.

There is help out there and i really hope you start to feel better soon. Use all the help and support you can get from yor doc family and friends and the new friends you make on NMP.
Neesh Xx
:)