PDA

View Full Version : Plucked up the courage to talk! Health Anxiety!

Massy76
20-01-10, 21:50
Hi all, I am 33 years old and suffer from health anxiety/panic attacks daily. My particular fear is of a heart attack! It all started just over a year ago in my car when i started to get chest pains every now and then - been told countless times it is my posture/costochondritus! Its all manifested now into a constant state of anxiety. I have reflux also and this does not help. I have been tested for all the usual heart stuff and told i am fine - i walk away from the doc's all happy as larry then a few hours later the doubts come into my mind! My problem is now that i am always anxious i always feel like crap. Always tired, feel like in a dream, trouble concentrating, stomach trouble, sinus problems along with the chest and arm pain. When i panic i go all sweaty which feeds the fear of a heart attack even more! I never really have any breathing issues though apart from sometimes i get this kind of sinus pressure and i notice my breathing more. Doc has just put me on Citalopram 20mg but i am unsure about taking it. Dont think i could cope with the initial side effects. Well thats me!

nomorepanic
20-01-10, 21:51
Hi Massy76

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

melvin
21-01-10, 17:45
hi mate you sound exactly like me lol iv been having this breathing thing going on for months had all test i also get hot when im about to go into a panic attack witch makes me panic even more its a bloody nightmare

Sweetpea6
21-01-10, 18:33
Hey Massy, welcome!

Before I forget, I went on 10mg of Citalopram about six weeks ago and experienced no side effects at all, despite readng many horror stories and the scary leaflet in the box. You have been given a higher dosage, and every person is different so don't hold me to this, but it has really helped to reduce my anxiety. Lots of people say the result is worth the initial side effects. You could also type 'citalopram survival guide' in the search box at the top of the screen; it was written by PsychoPoet and is very comprehensive.

All the best in your road to recovery.

clairity
21-01-10, 18:36
hi. can i first of all say well done for taking the first step and asking for help. its the hardest step but you will feel like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders. you will find lots of help and support on here. in regards to medication i was very aprehensive when the doctor first put me on cit 2 weeks ago but as told by someone close to me people talk medication for all sorts of health ailments everyday so why not for mental health. the side effects are different for everyone, i felt sick as a dog for the first week and am still feeling really tired but i do feel much lighter in the head. i hope you feel better soon. xxx

Vanilla Sky
21-01-10, 21:29
Hi Massy , you are not alone in the anxiety fight , it does manifest into particular obssesions , i have had a few but i always end back up at the heart thing so i can relate . Welcome to NMP , you will find it helpful and supportive here, Love Paige xx