PDA

View Full Version : Dr Google the timewaster

westofengland
20-01-10, 23:04
Thought I'd share this story - been worried about oral cancer recently, no particular reason except I enjoy a drink, used to smoke, etc. Oh, and I've read the stories about oral sex and throat cancer (still only around a 1000 cases in the year in the UK)

Noticed some bumps on the bottom of my tongue and thought I'd 'Google' what a healthy tongue should look like. I couldn't find another tongue that looked quite like mine and must have spent the whole of Sunday on this fruitless research. Ended up going to the dentist in a panic, he just took and quick look and said "just the mucous membrane in your mouth, quite normal."

I'm so sick of all the time I have wasted 'looking for trouble on the internet'. Does anyone feel the same way?

I guess on the positive side I have learned about what to look out in terms of mouth cancer, but you know what, I wish I had that Sunday back. I'd do something more constructive like playing with my kids.

louise123_uk
21-01-10, 00:25
Yep, ive had the whole tonsils issue, which then extended to noticing things on my tongue, got a bit obssessed with mouth C, myself, I think partly because a teacher I used to like just died of it recently, and the websites on google are pretty scary when they talk about it I know!! Dont ever google it again is what Ive learned, have a hug!

eleanor_rigby
21-01-10, 00:25
I have had a sore throat for months! I am only 20 and because they won't do smear tests on girls under 25 I decided to book a HPV test (HPV - the virus that causes cervical cancer and the virus that is linking oral sex and throat cancer). Anyway that came back positive! I have been told it's a common virus particularly in my age group and will clear up on it's own but I'm still going to go for smear tests before I'm 25 to be on the safe side. But I've given oral sex so I'm like ahhhhh am i at risk for throat cancer?! There are no tests, no way of knowing. And my throat is constantly hurting and it makes my ears hurt. I went to the doctors, they agreed my throat was swollen. Said my ears were fine, that I had swollen glands, and that there was nothing they could do. SIGH.

westofengland
21-01-10, 12:03
i wouldn't worry too much like they say, HPV is really common and they reckon most people who are sexually active get it at some point. Yet the cases of oral cancer from it are still very low - Cancer Research say that you are more at risk of getting OC from drinking and smoking. If you don't smoke, drink moderately and eat well, you should be fine! Men are more at risk than women too.

If everybody who gave and received oral sex got OC don't you think there would be a massive public health warning campaign!

Starscream
21-01-10, 12:08
The only problems I have are with my mouth and unfortunately I can't seem to stop looking online to re-assure myself and making it worse seeing things like ulcers and tongue issues being linked to severely scary illnesses.

I am obsessed with my mouth now and I can't do anything without checking it 50 times a day

gypsywomen
21-01-10, 12:16
the worst thing you can do is google ,glad throat better

WeeSmallHours
21-01-10, 15:08
Google can be the enemy. I am on antibiotics right now for pneumonia, and I have been googling about side effects. I have taken this antibiotic countless times over the past 10 or 15 years never with any issue. It started yesterday when I was prescribed an antibiotic I had never had so I asked for the one I have had positive experiences with.

I had dark and a little cloudy urine early this morning, which is listed as a side effect that maybe you should call your doc about. But I had to call already after seeing him to get them to change the Rx. Urine like that can also occur from dehydration and I have not been having liquids since my throat has been bad. I did go to the bathroom again and everything was fine.

I don't know why I get into these google research phases.