PDA

View Full Version : Medication anxiety / pneumonia

WeeSmallHours
20-01-10, 23:11
Unfortunately I have come down with a pneumonia. It is very annoying, I had it 13 months ago. First 2 times I have had it since I was about 8. I have no idea what is going on. The doc thinks i caught this one early so I am hoping I am not stuck in bed for 3 weeks like last time. I turned down the pneumonia vaccine in the fall because I prefer to avoid medications. That seems to have been a bad choice.

I had a cold a couple of weeks ago, and I thought I was better but I think I pushed it too fast (exercise, social activities) and screwed myself. I also had been in a high state of anxiety/panic attacks leading up to the cold. I think my immune system has taken a pounding.

I saw a doc today, where I had the chest x-ray, but it wasn't my normal GP as she was out of the office. But I didn't want to take a chance on waiting. He prescribed me an antibiotic but it isn't what I have taken for the past 15 years or so whenever I needed one. Well, I went and filled the Rx on the way home and then googled to read about side effects. Not good. First page all about lawsuits, etc. I called the doc and had them call in a Rx for what has always worked, including the last time I had pneumonia. I swear they thought I was crazy. My GP knows all my issues and it would not have been a problem.

It is also annoying that my heart rate has been over 100 bpm the past day or so. The doc said it was related to the pneumonia and fever. But my heart was part of what my anxiety was last month and I have been checking my pulse all the time! It was fine a few days ago, so I know there is no issue. Just going crazy.

Sorry for the long post. Very bored laying in bed.

Veronica H
21-01-10, 00:55
Sorry to hear you are feeling poorly. I hope you get the correct meds soon. I think the heart beating a bit faster than usual is to be expected. Try to distract yourself from tuning in to it if you can. How about Sudoku or crossword puzzles. These are very good for keeping thoughts in the moment.

:bighug1:Veronica

WeeSmallHours
22-01-10, 21:10
Thanks for the reply. The antibiotics seem to be working on the pneumonia quite well. Just took it for the 3rd day and the fever and lungs are better. However I have been worried still regarding side effects, even though I am taking the meds I have used in the past.

I have been spending way too much time on google reading about side effects, which I think is just increasing my anxiety. It is going to be nice to be done with this.