PDA

View Full Version : I cannot belive it

ogarchamplin
03-02-04, 12:23
I just went to my family doctor because of my anxiety and panic attacks. When the visit was over he informed me that i suffer from a Panic disorder but also OCD. I was shocked by this because i never felt i suffered from this. I am a checker of things before i leave the huse but thats it. My doctor said that its my thoughts that are OCD.

Harrisburg, Pa

Meg
03-02-04, 13:59
Then you can apply that to us all. It's usually only rituals and severe 24/7 obsessiveness that get the diagnosis although the DSM criteria does outline obsessive thought patterns so theoretically he's probably right according to the criteria.
Don't get too hung up on it anyway - they're all anxiety based and the solutions are similar.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Laurie28
04-02-04, 12:11
I agree with Meg. OCD in my opinion (and i'm not an expert!) is if your checking is ruling yuor life. I know some professionals link OCD with intrusive thoughts but it is all anxiety and it can all be tackled in the same way. Please don't get too hung up on names!!

Lucky

paul
04-02-04, 17:57
hello,i have ocd and i think its quite normal to check things before you leave a place,especially your house.like they said only if it becomes ritualistic and compulsive that it becomes a problem,thats what i do.however i dont know the details of your checking habits so i cant comment too much on them.anyway meg has said it already ,even if it is ocd its all related and the treatment is similar,its just another name for another field of anxiety,

good luck with it anyway,free feel to ask anything about ocd if your not sure

all the best

paul

Lottie32
10-02-04, 10:01
I was on the way to Burleigh Horse trials with my friend. We had travelled 20 miles, and got throught he rush hour traffic in Nottingham.

She then shrieked, couldn't remember if she had unplugged the kettle, and made me turn around and drive all the way back to discover that she had (no surprise there then).

We got there an hour later than we intended.

If you are doing things like this you have a problem which needs addressing! I always check the door three times to make sure it's locked. But if I'm late and in a hurry, I would never turn back cos I'd only checked it twice.

Try not to worry too much about it, most of us have some sort of OCD traits. It's when they rule your life you start to have a problem!

Charlie

Meg
10-02-04, 22:15
My friend was coming up from South London to stay with me. She got to Leicester after a bus, a tube and a train for 2 hours. She called me 20 mins before arriving that she ' knew' she had left her windows open and HAD to go back ..and she did to find closed windows. He finally arrived 4 hours later.. She does not have a recognised anxiety OCD or anything else problem ! She's normal !

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...