PDA

View Full Version : HIV Fear

bloomingfox
21-01-10, 10:00
Hi, I am constantly worried that I have contracted HIV through touching blood. I know deep down that it can only be transmitted through sharing needles, unprotected sex etc, and I don't do either of those, I am happily married to a devoted husband with a three year old and another on the way. An example of this is that I went to see the midwife yesterday at the health clinic and I watched her every move (made sure she washed her hands before touching me etc), and she did everything as expected. I was picking up my coat that I had put down on the spare chair when I noticed that it had also been leaning against the metal bars of the curtain screen that goes round the couch, that would have been ok except that the metal bars seemed to have blobs of brown stuff on it, which I straight away took to be blood. I had to go straight home and wash my coat, I am now convinced that my car and my medical notes that I had to hold are contaminated with the blood. My mum and my husband have tried to convince me that it was probably rust or something else but it doesn't help. Does anybody else suffer like this? I have also finally booked a doctors appointment for this afternoon and hope they can do something for me.:winks:

Starscream
21-01-10, 10:08
I have a blood fear as well but it doesn't help that all the issues I have with my mouth are related to severe immune deficiency problems including Aids so I'd say I'm a lot worse off in that respect.

I think you need to get your issue out your head though. Seriously. There's more chance of you winning the lottery twice than contracting a virus that way.

Girl_Interrupted
21-01-10, 13:07
Hi there, I had a HIV fear for 20 years, so I know how you feel. Its highly unlikely that you have been contaminated with it, HIV needs a host to live in and outside the body the virus will die within minutes. So the risk factor is very very low. I can pretty much say you are 100% ok : )

Stressed32
21-02-10, 23:50
HIV can not live in the air very long, minutes at best. It is a very weak virus. You are fine!