PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyone

cat25
21-01-10, 15:34
Hi All,
Thought I'd introduce myself, my name is Cat, I'm 25 years old and have been suffering from panic attacks/anxiety for around 5 months now. I suffered for the first time from panic attacks over three years ago now, around a very stressful time, they only lasted around one month-so you can understand my dispare when they returned out of the blue recently. I've tired counselling, completing my 6 sessions with some small improvements, I've tried cbt workbooks and herbal remedies but am too afraid to go to my doctor as I have had a deep set phobia of them for years!
Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated-as I'm sure you all know it gets pretty tough and lonely at times and it would be good to talk to people with similar problems :blush:

nomorepanic
21-01-10, 15:36
Hi cat25

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

magpie girl
21-01-10, 16:54
hi cat and welcome:D:D:Deveryone on here is really friendly with great advice and support.

lonewolf
21-01-10, 19:44
Hey well done for taking the first steps, it really does help and you will find great support here. from people who know where your coming from hope to talk to you soon

Lilica-Demetier
21-01-10, 20:53
Welcome Cat. At Least you have shown that you want to get better and you obviously are a fighter to try hard with counselling and CBT. Doctors don't know everything but will understand your fears because there are many people who feel the same, like me.

The best thing that's working for me is filing my time with things that I enjoy and keep my mind active even though I get really lonely and upset most of the time, it's good to try and escape it a little while everyday.

Maybe setting yourself some goals is a good idea, realizing what the triggers are for your anxiety/panic attacks and trying to challenge your negative thoughts to beat it. It does take a long time to manage your anxiety but I think it can be done. I must say though, I couldn't have gotten out of the terrible hole I was I last year if the doctor hadn't upped my dose of anti-depressant. I wish I didn't need them but I know I do.

Hope you find the website helpful.

cat25
22-01-10, 13:02
Thanks for the welcome everyone, I've been checking out the site-there's so much information its a bit overwhelming! Everyone does seem very friendly though-I really cant believe just how many people suffer from the same thing, its nice to know I'm not the only one and to have a chance to talk to people who know how it feels-and don't regard you as a nut-case!

cat25
22-01-10, 13:06
Welcome Cat. At Least you have shown that you want to get better and you obviously are a fighter to try hard with counselling and CBT. Doctors don't know everything but will understand your fears because there are many people who feel the same, like me.

The best thing that's working for me is filing my time with things that I enjoy and keep my mind active even though I get really lonely and upset most of the time, it's good to try and escape it a little while everyday.

Maybe setting yourself some goals is a good idea, realizing what the triggers are for your anxiety/panic attacks and trying to challenge your negative thoughts to beat it. It does take a long time to manage your anxiety but I think it can be done. I must say though, I couldn't have gotten out of the terrible hole I was I last year if the doctor hadn't upped my dose of anti-depressant. I wish I didn't need them but I know I do.

Hope you find the website helpful.

Lilica-Demetier, thank you in particular for your post, I'm trying to fight it, but as I'm sure you can appreciate some days you don't have any fight left in you (I think I'm having one of those weeks actually!) But I've taken your advice and have planned a goal (an outing for tomorrow)-something to get me out of the house and take my mind off everything. As for the doctor thing, I have thought about going, I really am terrified and don't really want to take medication-I guess I'll find out some good first hand information about that here! Its not something I'd rule out completely, its just not something I want to rush into.
Thanks again, hope to chat soon :)

munkeyinblack
24-01-10, 12:11
Welcome to NMP Cat, it can be a bit overwhelming but theres always people on hand to help. Good luck with everything and let me know how ur gettin on

Munkey xx

sonia lane
24-01-10, 12:42
welcome to NMP cat..... I also have a phobia of the doctors lol its stupid really isnt it because if we are ill they are the only plpe to make us better.......... hope you get help on here ..
sonia lane

Andyroo
24-01-10, 12:52
Hello there

Welcome to NMP! theres lots of helpful information here.

Its really good to have you with us!

You will have lots of love and support here!! welcome. :hugs:

Lilica-Demetier
24-01-10, 20:17
Lilica-Demetier, thank you in particular for your post, I'm trying to fight it, but as I'm sure you can appreciate some days you don't have any fight left in you (I think I'm having one of those weeks actually!) But I've taken your advice and have planned a goal (an outing for tomorrow)-something to get me out of the house and take my mind off everything. As for the doctor thing, I have thought about going, I really am terrified and don't really want to take medication-I guess I'll find out some good first hand information about that here! Its not something I'd rule out completely, its just not something I want to rush into.
Thanks again, hope to chat soon :)

Awww, that's alright. I know what you mean about having one of the those weeks :wacko: Horrible isn't it.

Having something to focus on, that's good. Even if it's just small things, it's probably going to help you.
Also, I forgot to say but do you read? Because that's a really good way to take your mind off how you're feeling.

As I said, I feel I need the medication but wish I wasn't on it, if you can do it without, that's brilliant. I actually suffer from IBS which is so uncomfortable- nausea, stomach pain, no appetite, indigestion. Citalopram really helps that. I realised, after a long time of thinking the meds were going to harm my body, that the stress and depression was probably doing something a lot worse.

Doctors don't only recommend medication but a lot of other things I think. Even maybe vitamins that might help. Maybe you should challenge yourself to go there if you really can't deal with it.

Sleep is a good cure, maybe a nice bath or a bit of yogaic breathing.
XxxxX

Brunette
25-01-10, 09:00
Hi cat25 and welcome :)

You can get over PAs without medication - I did.

Meds can help you throught the worst while but it won't "cure" you. Anxiety and panic attacks are only your nervous system doing exactly what is was made to do faced with threat.

Reset your nervous system to "calm" through the acceptance that you will come to no harm and the PAs will eventually go away.

cat25
25-01-10, 15:23
welcome to NMP cat..... I also have a phobia of the doctors lol its stupid really isnt it because if we are ill they are the only plpe to make us better.......... hope you get help on here ..
sonia lane

It is ridiculous being so scared of doctors when they are the to help you and make you better, I think its the fact that they are in a position to tell you the most devastating news possible-and that what I expect!!
When I was at uni I did my dissertation on doctor-patient communication and how the different styles can impact on the quality of the therapeutic process. I think that's the problem I have with my GP-I just cant talk to him (or then again maybe I haven't given him a chance as I haven't been for years!) Still I have had some negative experiences in the past which have affected me greatly.

cat25
25-01-10, 15:35
Awww, that's alright. I know what you mean about having one of the those weeks :wacko: Horrible isn't it.

Having something to focus on, that's good. Even if it's just small things, it's probably going to help you.
Also, I forgot to say but do you read? Because that's a really good way to take your mind off how you're feeling.

As I said, I feel I need the medication but wish I wasn't on it, if you can do it without, that's brilliant. I actually suffer from IBS which is so uncomfortable- nausea, stomach pain, no appetite, indigestion. Citalopram really helps that. I realised, after a long time of thinking the meds were going to harm my body, that the stress and depression was probably doing something a lot worse.

Doctors don't only recommend medication but a lot of other things I think. Even maybe vitamins that might help. Maybe you should challenge yourself to go there if you really can't deal with it.

Sleep is a good cure, maybe a nice bath or a bit of yogaic breathing.
XxxxX

Yes I do read a lot and I find it helps. At the moment I've got so much on with courses I've been sent on through work that I haven't had chance to read for fun in a while-I will have to make time!
I did take your advice though and set myself some goals-this weekend I went to the seaside with my partner, I found it really difficult at first to be out in the open, amongst people and in shops but ended up having a nice time when I got used to it and had been there a while. Then on Sunday I went to Ikea! I've never been there before and was terrified by how big it was, I nearly turned back staright away! But I gave it a chance and got through it-it was an uncomfortable experinece, I never felt calm and at a few points felt the sensations peak to the point where I thought I was going to have to run for the nearest exist-but I stayed firm and persevered till the end!
I'm trying to get to grips with my belly breathing, but am finding it hard to master-did you have this problem at first? I've been trying for months but cant get to grips with it! I cant agree more about a good night sleep and a relaxing bubble bath by the way-it really does do the power of good!
Thanks again for the advice, its great having somewhere to share your thoughts and experiences :hugs:

cat25
25-01-10, 15:43
Hi cat25 and welcome :)

You can get over PAs without medication - I did.

Meds can help you throught the worst while but it won't "cure" you. Anxiety and panic attacks are only your nervous system doing exactly what is was made to do faced with threat.

Reset your nervous system to "calm" through the acceptance that you will come to no harm and the PAs will eventually go away.

Hi Brunette,
its good to know that you can get through PA's without medication, I'm going to really try to (for one thing I'm too scared to book a doctors appointment-even though I'd like to ask for some CBT sessions).
If you dont mind me asking how long did you suffer and how long did it take you to get over them completely? I did suffer with them myself around three and a half years ago, for about a month, but they were no where near as severe as this time around. Even then I think it took me around a year to get over them-and like I said they were nothing compared to the reocurrance.
I guess I just have to be strong and have patients, but I cant help thinking that they will never go away (negative I know!) but I'm so desperate to be 'normal' again-go out and do things without having the anxiety hanging over me!
Sorry for the moan anyway-and thank you for the reassurance that it can be done without meds! :)

Lilica-Demetier
04-02-10, 19:32
Yes I do read a lot and I find it helps. At the moment I've got so much on with courses I've been sent on through work that I haven't had chance to read for fun in a while-I will have to make time!
I did take your advice though and set myself some goals-this weekend I went to the seaside with my partner, I found it really difficult at first to be out in the open, amongst people and in shops but ended up having a nice time when I got used to it and had been there a while. Then on Sunday I went to Ikea! I've never been there before and was terrified by how big it was, I nearly turned back staright away! But I gave it a chance and got through it-it was an uncomfortable experinece, I never felt calm and at a few points felt the sensations peak to the point where I thought I was going to have to run for the nearest exist-but I stayed firm and persevered till the end!
I'm trying to get to grips with my belly breathing, but am finding it hard to master-did you have this problem at first? I've been trying for months but cant get to grips with it! I cant agree more about a good night sleep and a relaxing bubble bath by the way-it really does do the power of good!
Thanks again for the advice, its great having somewhere to share your thoughts and experiences :hugs:

Yeh, it's good to know there's others who feel the same.

I'm always breathing in my chest rather than belly, I can't help it..I can only breathe with my belly if I think about it but I can't think about it all the time.

I hate big shopping places, so scary and the bright lights really make my anxiety worse, it makes my eyes go funny. Something to do with flourescents I think.
It's great that you didn't give in. I always think that we sort of make our own bad experience by running out and then thinking - 'I can't ever go back there, they'll remember me running out' lol. I have done it a few times though, like at the job centre I ran out of and I won't go back there now :blush:

XxxxxX

Mr Parfect
04-02-10, 20:15
Welcome to NMP.

Veronica H
04-02-10, 20:45
:welcome: to NMP Cat. You will find comfort and support here.There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes;SELF HELP FOR YOUR NERVES published by Thorsens ISBN 0-7225-3155-9.This is available from the NMP shop. Dr Weekes was a physician and scientist. She was a fellow sufferer (nominated for the nobel prize for medicine) and really understood this illness. She took the mystery out of it, and devised a simple programme for recovery. I can't recommend this enough. This will get better.

Here is a link to her site;

http://www.drclaireweekes.co.uk/

Veronica

cat25
04-02-10, 21:01
:welcome: to NMP Cat. You will find comfort and support here.There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes;SELF HELP FOR YOUR NERVES published by Thorsens ISBN 0-7225-3155-9.This is available from the NMP shop. Dr Weekes was a physician and scientist. She was a fellow sufferer (nominated for the nobel prize for medicine) and really understood this illness. She took the mystery out of it, and devised a simple programme for recovery. I can't recommend this enough. This will get better.

Here is a link to her site;

http://www.drclaireweekes.co.uk/

Veronica

Thanks Veronica, the book looks good-think I'll get that. I've found self help books very useful in the past and am always on the look out for new ones :)
Did you find it helped a lot then?
Thanks again for your support.

Slothette
04-02-10, 23:49
Hi Cat

Welcome to NMP. I also have a doctor phobia due to terrible experiences. I have made appointments in the past and managed to go but had the most horrible PA's....daft really as my doctor will have seen it all before!! I did feel really stupid and embarrassed though. :wacko:

lisa75
05-02-10, 09:45
Hi, i am also new to this website....first time posting, but have been reading on forum for the last few weeks. It is so comforting and reassuring that i,m not alone in feeling like this....in this pig awful condition we call anxiety!!! I could think of other names i'd like to call it!! After suffering for amny many years, things finally came to a head about a month ago....didnt realise how bad i'd actually been until i now look back. No more looking back though.....this thing will not beat me!!!!!:) Good luck and best wishes to everyone xxx