PDA

View Full Version : Can depersonalization be restricted to certain limbs?

Pdubya86
21-01-10, 19:24
Lately my arms have been feeling weird, as if they are not connected to my body (wait, is that what it feels like?). Hmm, either way, I get waves of this uncomfortable feeling, they feel floaty and disconnected even thought I can feel them, see them, they do not hurt etc... I cant seem to take my mind off it and rationalize. Its making me feel quite uncomfortable and on edge. It sounds ridiculous just typing it. Is anxiety playing tricks with my brain?

cassy1989
21-01-10, 19:30
It's definitely anxiety!

I always get this when I am going through really bad patches of my anxiety. It feels like I don't even have arms but they are still fully working. It's so weird but its the only way I can describe it!
I sometimes get it as I am drifting off to sleep aswell. Suddenly it feels like my arms are gone and I really panic x

Pdubya86
21-01-10, 20:16
Thanks Cassy. Its quite an unpleasant feeling isnt it!

cassy1989
21-01-10, 20:26
It is awful! I used to think I was dying when I had it but the first time I had it was about 3 years ago and I'm ok so you will be too x

itoldyouiwasill
21-01-10, 20:53
When my anxiety first started to become a physical issue, one of the first symptoms was that my right leg just did not actually feel part of my body any longer. I couldn't explain this to anybody and was the weirdest thing. It went on for about 6 long months.

naomimimi
23-01-10, 11:46
this is one of the most horrible feelings i've ever had. although i laugh to myself slightly when i am not suffering with it, and try to describe it to someone.
it's like 'uuuum, my arms do not feel like my arms.' i said that to my bf once and he thought i was mad.

but one morning it just hit me, and was when my anxiety became a problem. over it now, or the worst of it anyway. still get slight waves of it every now and again. but i'm now accepting that it might be something i have for ever.

Carys
23-01-10, 12:56
I've had this in the past, a number of times, exactly as you are describing. It feels like my hands and arms (ALWAYS hands and arms and never legs or other body part interestingly) are just working automatically.....I look down at them and feel like they aren't connected to me. It is a most odd feeling, as if you are watching some arms doing something but they aren't yours. The more you think about it the worse it gets, and I think it is worse if you are tired.

Sammy J
24-01-10, 17:07
I'm having this for the first time at the moment and am starting to freak out. I was reading the newspaper and when I went to put it down it was as if I couldn't feel my hands and both arms feel weird.

It feels like my hands are going to stop working any moment. As I said, this is the first time I have experienced this. Am abit scared :(

SammiB
24-01-10, 17:13
i have this aswell guys and since we all have its prob just another trick of the mind, (thanks brain) i dont think its anything to worry about. it feels weird and then you start feeling weird and big circle. At least we can all feel weird together

Pdubya86
09-02-10, 17:31
Its pretty comforting to know that others are experiencing this (hopefully its the same thing!)

At some points in the day I think I manage to forget about it. But its been pretty constant for a couple of weeks. I find myself looking at other people and thinking, "how come they cant feel the same thing!!". Then my brain tries to rationalize, and I remember I'M the one being weird.

I pretty much feel it from the moment I wake up (which I guess is because I have been thinking about it so much lately). My arms just feel completely alien to my body.

Wish I could just forget about it.

How are you finding it SammyJ, has yours gone away?