PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol Problem

willp
21-01-10, 22:31
Hi all,

First off apologies if I've posted in the wrong place. If so maybe admin can rectify?

I have had anxiety problems for some time now, and these got mixed up with alcohol dependency. I have the anxiety under control now through 16 weeks of CBT but still have the drink problem. I'm now quite desparate - I went to see my GP today and she has given me two days' worth of chlordiazepoxide hydrochloride but this is clearly not a long-term solution.

There's not that much on NMP about alcohol dependency and and I'm posting on the offchance that someone knows of a more relevant forum, or has some help they can provode.

Apologies if this doesn't make much sense, but I am... well... drunk and just don't know where to turn.

Maj
21-01-10, 23:22
Hello,
The chloredioxepide (librium) regime is for people coming off alcohol, but usually is given over a few days. If your doctor only gave you 2 days maybe they think that's all you need? I'm a bit surprised they didn't give you more. Have you a follow up appointment? I'm assuming they took into consideration how much you actually drink. There's no shame here. Many people turn to alcohol for a quick fix when they are very anxious and down. Do you think you need more help to cut down on alcohol? If so the doctor can refer you on the alcohol liaison service. Get all the help you need. Don't suffer alone. Your doctor should be able to support you with this and get you on the road to recovery again.
Myra:hugs:

suzy-sue
21-01-10, 23:48
Have you ever thought about joining AA ..? It can really help ..They will also be able to give you support and advice ..Do you know if you have a branch in your area ? The hardest part of addiction is staying off what caused the dependancy in the first place .Maybe talking to other people in the same posistion, will enable you to kick the drink once, you have actually got yourself sober . Good luck Sue x:hugs:

Anxious_gal
22-01-10, 02:37
maybe rehab might be a good place to detox? if your body is dependant on alcohol too

jacko296
22-01-10, 21:32
Hi...i agree with suzysue..the only requirement to join AA is 'a desire to stop drinking'...which it sounds like you have.I too have abused alcohol in the past but have come to the conclusion(finally) that in the long run it just magnifies my anxiety and i cant hope for any real recovery whilst drinking heavily.

I wish you the very best.

j.

willp
27-01-10, 22:57
Hi, thanks for all your replies. To explain a bit more, I'm usually able to avoid alcohol and live a 'normal' life but I am dependant and have times when I think one won't hurt when I'm out with friends (even though I know it will) and so on. I am seeing my GP again and hopefully she can refer me to a service that can help. I live in central London so I'm sure there's something. I've avoided AA so far because the religious element turns me right off. I know through books and podcasts that one of the steps revolves around spiritual enlightenment and this is just not something I can relate to, or that will help me recover. I think I'm more likely to react against it I think. Maybe I'm being daft and should just give it a go...

So thanks again, and fingers crossed...

Will

Maj
27-01-10, 23:03
Hello Will,
The fact that you can do without alcohol sometimes is actually a good sign. But you obviously want to do something about the amount you do drink. I work with the NHS and I know that there are alcohol liaison officers who are there to help people with alcohol problems. Absolutely nothing to do with AA. Normally connected to hospital/clinics. There must be some in your area. I'd contact them. You sound as though you are on the right track anyway. Good luck!
Myra:hugs:

amandaj
28-01-10, 06:06
hi will i took librium for 5 days on a home dettox back in september ,i was also alcohol dependant, im very happy to say the librium worked and i am no longer a drinker, if you want to chat to me i can go through it with you feel free to pm me anytime

amandaxx

Anxious_gal
28-01-10, 06:27
I'm happy your trying to get better :-)

finny12000
28-01-10, 22:46
Hi will
By writing your first post your showing a desire to stop drinking and inturn that will help the anxiety.
I was a chronic drinker also and had binges for weeks and months at a time that in turn lead to worse anxiety and it was a vicious circle.
I ended up in a ward after many rehab attempts that turned my life around
by trying to find out why i drank so much and the effects it was having on my brain and in turn anxiety ect.
i was given medication to come off drink medication to treat the anxiety and i took anxiety classes weekly after that,i had tried aa and it wasnt for me either but i came to the conclusion that i had to stop or i would be dead by now and thats a fact the amount i was drinking.
look back on some of my earlier posts when i joined it explains a lot and if you need any help advice or general chit chat gimme a pm or email and dont hesitate to contact doc if you need more librium i swallowed them by the bucketload for a week when i came off the drink...take it a day at a time or a hour to begin with and slowly things will get easier ,ive been sober now for nearly 3 years and if i could do it anyone can ,good luck and keep in touch
finn