PDA

View Full Version : Hey, I'm new...

DannyDigital
22-01-10, 17:08
Hey there,

Just joined up today, I've been reading the forums for a few weeks now and decided to register.

I've been suffering from anxiety for about 6 month now and it's showing no signs of letting up just yet :mad:

My anxiety started back in July. It just suddenly came out of nowhere in the middle of the night and my heart was pounding. The next day at work I struggled through it and once I actually got home I got worse, I started getting a pain in my arm and feeling dizzy as well as my heart pounding, It wasn't until I actually got to hospital and they checked me out I actually started to calm down. hey said it was a panic attack related to the loss of my Dad.

The way my Dad died has affected me a lot more than I ever thought it would, he had a heart attack and died on his bedroom floor in front of me in an instant, watching that has must have had a far bigger affect on me than I thought, I'm now also having to take care of my Mum and Sister since he has gone. The general worry I feel is for my family I think, I dont think my brains knows what to do without him.

These days my anxiety is a lot different to when it first started, now it seems to be dull aches all over my chest, accompanied by the odd twinge in my chest arms or back. I have been taking Propranolol fr a few weeks but I don't really find it helps, thinking of going back and asking for something more suited to anxiety like benzodiazepine's.

If anybody has any advice about anything that might help that would be great. Again, sorry to be captain bringdown, just wanted to introduce myself and say hi.

Thanks

Danny x

nomorepanic
22-01-10, 17:11
Hi DannyDigital

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Andromeda
22-01-10, 17:14
Hi danny welcome to the forum !
I'm really sorry to hear about the loss of your dad :hugs: grief tends to manifest itself in strange ways !
I too have been suffering since july , and like you i've been taking propranolol (don't feel it does anything for me!)
i'm going back to the doctors next week to talk about other options myself so if you feel a medication isn't working for you it's the best thing to do ! continuing to suffer just isn't worth it !
Have you ever thought about counselling ?
XX

magpie girl
22-01-10, 17:30
Hi danny and welcome to the forum,everyone on here is really friendly and offer great advice and support when needed:D:D:D

DannyDigital
22-01-10, 18:01
Thanks for the nice welcome folks, it's appreciated!

It sounds like were in a similar place at the minute Andromeda, I think I'll be back at the doctors next week, like in my post above I think I'll ask for something a bit more suited to anxiety like benzodiazepine's, I think I would rather have something to combat the anxiety rather than Propranolol which is meant to ease the symptoms but I don't find it helps at all.

I have actually signed up for counselling, just waiting for my first apppointment to come through the post, here's hoping it will help me out a bit.

The weird thing is, I don't actually feel anxious a lot of the time, It's the symptoms I get which create the worry and anxiety.

Thanks again for your warm welcome guys, It means a lot!

Danny

gypsywomen
22-01-10, 18:03
sorry to hea of your loss you can always talk here ,,

mandie
22-01-10, 18:16
Hi Danny

:welcome:to the site

Sorry to hear about the loss of your dad

You will get lots of support on here

love mandie x

DannyDigital
22-01-10, 18:52
Thanks Mandie/gypsywomen!

Really appreciate your posts, it's really nice to be welcomed! :D

Danny x

cat25
22-01-10, 19:16
Hi Danny,
sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad, you really cant underestimate the impact something like that can have on you. I experienced panic for the first time three and a half years ago when I was really concerned about my Dads health, I managed to cope with it quite well-only experiencing the anxiety for around a month. Then my Dad died, very suddenly and due to the circumstances I felt a lot of guilt. I had such a lot of things to sort out after his death I didn't really have time to think, I had to be strong for my Grandparents. Anyway, to cut along story short out of the blue back in August the panic came back-worse than ever! I had some counselling sessions, that mainly focused on my Dad's death. My counsellor seemed to think the recurrence was due to to me not dealing with what happened at the time (which was hard to do as there were two inquests that dragged on for over a year). I really think you're doing the right thing dealing with things now and confronting what's happened-don't do what I did and bury your head in the sand-it does not work!
Take care, hope you find your counselling and everything helps,
Cat

DannyDigital
22-01-10, 19:58
Thanks for that Cat!

Yeah it was fairly similar for me, When I think back now, I don't think I did much greiving and just try to get on with sorting a lot of things out after he had died, I think maybe I didn't actually deal with it the way I should have and went back to work too early.

Hopefully the counselling may help me out with some of the questions that I have...

Thanks for sharing that with me though, It's reassuring to know that somebody else has had similar experiences with death in the family.

Danny x

sandradee
22-01-10, 21:02
You were busy coping with everyday things after your Dad died, and I reckon all the grief has landed on you like a ton of bricks now things are somewhat calmer, and manifested as panic. It will pass, it takes time. ask me how I know this!
All the best to you, there is lots of help here.

Veronica H
22-01-10, 21:40
:welcome:Danny. Glad that you have found us. You will find comfort and support here.

Veronica

billyson
26-01-10, 23:57
Hey there,

Just joined up today, I've been reading the forums for a few weeks now and decided to register.

I've been suffering from anxiety for about 6 month now and it's showing no signs of letting up just yet :mad:

My anxiety started back in July. It just suddenly came out of nowhere in the middle of the night and my heart was pounding. The next day at work I struggled through it and once I actually got home I got worse, I started getting a pain in my arm and feeling dizzy as well as my heart pounding, It wasn't until I actually got to hospital and they checked me out I actually started to calm down. hey said it was a panic attack related to the loss of my Dad.

The way my Dad died has affected me a lot more than I ever thought it would, he had a heart attack and died on his bedroom floor in front of me in an instant, watching that has must have had a far bigger affect on me than I thought, I'm now also having to take care of my Mum and Sister since he has gone. The general worry I feel is for my family I think, I dont think my brains knows what to do without him.

These days my anxiety is a lot different to when it first started, now it seems to be dull aches all over my chest, accompanied by the odd twinge in my chest arms or back. I have been taking Propranolol fr a few weeks but I don't really find it helps, thinking of going back and asking for something more suited to anxiety like benzodiazepine's.

If anybody has any advice about anything that might help that would be great. Again, sorry to be captain bringdown, just wanted to introduce myself and say hi.

Thanks

Danny x

Hi Danny. Im new too. This is easier than i thought actually! Faceless thing i guess. I read your message. Its late now (for me, got three kids) but if you dont mind, stay in touch as we are newbe's. Take it easy. Billy.

lisa12
27-01-10, 00:15
no exactly what your goin through i have had anxiety for a long time but it as been worse latley as the same thing happened to my mum in july she was only 61 and had been to work n evrything that day...so hard to deal with.
hope you feel better soon