PDA

View Full Version : pregnant and so worried, please help

little_linz
24-01-10, 00:06
i have got myself in such a panic, i am 24 weeks pregnant and i have caught a chest infection, been too see two doctors and they both said its viral but still gave me amoxocillan, however this started on thursday and it dont seem to be getting better i feel really wheezey, i recently stopped smoking after years of smoking and i am scared this could be lung cancer, to top it off last night my back started really aching and now i cant get any relief from it, its like middle back pain so now i think its my lungs and ts the end for me, cant talk to my partner about this as he thinks its silly, so i have come to bed as i cant stop crying, i think i am going to die without getting to meet my baby. this sounds ridiculous but all the symptoms if googled bring up lung cancer, can anyone help me xx

Rob83
24-01-10, 00:27
Firstly I'd like to say congratulations on your pregnancy.
I gave up smoking about a year ago and when I did I got all the symptoms you describe. (I'm back on them now but not important inthis instance)Chest infections, sore back, sore neck, I also had sweats and found it hard to breathe and the coughing I did could have woke the dead, these are all normal symptoms of giving up smoking, look at them as the final hurdle you have to go over on the path to quitting. Chest infections take a while to clear and for the first few days you wont really notice much of a change, give it a week and you'll feel much better. You are not dying, you dont have cancer though I can understand your worries. You also have your body, and mind going through some pretty extensive changes with the pregnancy, the most probable cause of your worry, again totally normal, just sit back, take it easy and enjoy the whole pregnancy experience, its a beautiful thing.

little_linz
24-01-10, 00:32
thanks so much for your reply, its cheered me up, i just feel lousy at the moment so thanks

Rob83
24-01-10, 00:41
Thats not a problem, thats why we are all here, to help. The problem with panic is it does spiral out of control. A chest infection wont do you any long term harm and wont affect your baby in the slightest, he/she is completely oblivious to it all. Your chest will be fine once you complete the full course of antibiotics, in fact better than normal now you've kicked the smoking in the ass.
Dont be afraid to talk to your partner too, you'd be surprised at how understanding he will be. Your carrying his baby, your the single most precious thing in the world in his eyes.

Typer
24-01-10, 00:44
I had a cough for a few weeks after giving up...I guess the lungs get a chance to clear out.

When I was pregnant I had a virus and antibiotics and all was fine. It will be absolutely fine

Andyroo
24-01-10, 07:45
I had a cough for a few weeks after giving up...I guess the lungs get a chance to clear out.

When I was pregnant I had a virus and antibiotics and all was fine. It will be absolutely fine

Ive quit smoking several times now lol

Every time i quit i always get a cough and so ive just thought the same thing that your lungs are clearing up and your coughing up all that gunk
:wacko:

Carys
24-01-10, 08:31
all the symptoms if googled bring up lung cancer, can anyone help me xx

.....oh dear, late at night in a state of panic, you did the infamous 'googling' of symptoms. I'm afraid that'll usually make the panic worse, as so many benign conditions, anxiety conditions, viral conditiosn and serious conditions can have very similar symptoms. Of course, you will pick the worst possible scenario from the possibilities - as that is what you most fear !

however this started on thursday

Lung cancer can't just start on 'Thursday', it has a slow insidious onset, with symptoms getting worse over a long period of time. I gave up smoking around 7 years ago, as did my husband, and boy did we feel somewhat ill for a few months. We both went to the doctor with dreadful coughs, sinus problems and post nasal drip. Interestingly we both felt like we had a cold most of the time, and even when we didn't feel like we had a cold, we had an actual cold :winks: Not to put anyone off giving up smoking, as it was the best thing I ever did, but some people do cough and splutter a good deal after giving up.

It could be that you have a cold at the same time as getting those 'lung clearing' coughs and snuffles, which would make it doubly bad. Do you feel like you started with a cold on Thursday ? However, I would go back and get the doctor to listen to your chest again if you feel it isn't improving as maybe it isn't just a virus and needs a different antibiotic treatment - not sure how they view those in pregnany though ? ( BTW when you are pregnant, and you've been coughing, you could get an odd pain in your back as you are holding your body so differently to usual when coughing, and putting pressure on muscles that you would not usually.)

IJJ
24-01-10, 08:53
I was at the hospital yesterday with exactly the same symptoms as you and I do no smoke! I was given a thorough examination and an xray and all was absolutely fine - I have just got a viral infection like you so you have nothing to worry about! My hubbie gave up smoking recently and has been plagued by colds, coughs and chest soreness since, like the others say it seems to be completely normal when having giving up, it is just your body getting rid of everything

little_linz
24-01-10, 21:22
thanks so much everyone, was just getting into a lil panic again and came on here to check my responses and i am glad i did, i love this site it always makes me see things in a better light :)