PDA

View Full Version : Blood tests - what can they tell you? And general unhappy panic post. Please help!

IJJ
24-01-10, 09:12
I have been through a pretty awful time recently. I lost my baby at 16 weeks pregnant and this has brought back all my panic attacks and health anxieties that I had been keeping under control. They are worse than they have ever been. I have started taking setraline but I have only been on it for 3 weeks and it has not kicked in yet and I am seeing my cpn. However I am convinced I have cancer to the point where I am visiting my GP almost daily. They do not know why I lost the baby so I convinced myself it was because I have cancer even tho my lovely doc told me it was impossible for this to cause miscarriage. But I cannot get the thought out of my mind. The type of cancer can vary from day to day but for a while I have been convinced I have breast cancer (my mum had it at 64 so that does not help.) It also does not help that I had clear/milky discharge from my nipples a few weeks after the miscarriage ( I squeezed them stupidly so this is how I know!!). I had them checked by a doctor who even asked me to squeeze them to see what colour the discharge was and examined them thoroughly and told me it was just hormanal. I was still worried so had them checked by another doc last week who told me they were fine and that the discharge would be bloody if there was a potential problem. I have now become so scared that I am going to get bloody discharge from my nipples that I am checking them constantly to the point of not sleeping at night to check them. I also really want to squeeze them to see what colour the discharge is but I know that is stupid. Anyway, thank you if you have got this far! The point to this post is I was at hospital yesterday because of a chest infection and asthma and they did a blood test while I was there. It all came back normal apart from the inflammation one because of my asthma. I know the blood test would not specifically check for any cancer but if I had cancer lurking in my body surely my blood results would be off balance?? Can anyone help, I am desperate

mumof4
24-01-10, 11:30
hi i really know how u feel i lost my baby this time last year i was not as far on as u but i still know the effects. when i lost my baby i was confinced i had cancer and i would have attack after attack thinking i was going to die very soon, i also thought that maybe the cancer had caused a miscarrige as i had 3 heathy kids and had never been through that and it was the hardest thing i have ever been through.

i ddint get to 16 weeks but i got to 12 weeks even though the baby at stopped at 6 weeks so i had to go through 6 weeks of carrying the baby untill it passed,

to help with the milk i still have milk coming out and im a year later i did go to the doctor last week who told me it was normall although its a horribale reminder of things that should have been.

it will get easier and time will heal but i do still find it hard even to this day once i see my pycistirt i will hopefully deal with it,

my panic attacks have seem to be good havent had any in a few months so there is hope and it does get easier.

as for the blood test my doc took some of me a few months ago and i ws normall and i said does that mean i have no cancer and she said no it would pick it up.

miscarrige is a horribale thing for anyone to go through and i wish u all the best if u ever need a chat just pm me.

good luck