PDA

View Full Version : Panic Getting me down

Brum_Bird
24-01-10, 12:42
Hi everyone,Im 25 an have been having panic attacks since last september it all started with a simple bus trip which has turned into a terrible last 5 months, for some reason i dont know what i just started to panic, ever since i havent been able to leave the house on my own i can only find it in me to go out with my partner an even then thats a big deal. the thing thats getting me down is i have a 3 yr old little girl who is stuck in with me most days coz im to scared to go out i cant go to the shop coz i think im gonna pass out i cant drive an its just getting a bit to much my little girl starts school in a few months an im gonna have to be able to take her. I need to be able to get over this i need to be able to find the mind set to fight it, i am taking propranolol which i find do help but its not gonna make them stop.
If anyone can help i would really appreciate it!

mandie
24-01-10, 13:02
Hi

welcome to the site.

i think u should ask your dr to refer u for cbt counselling. I had it in the past and am waiting for more, it did help me.

Im sure lots of others will have some good advice for you.

love mandie x

Brum_Bird
24-01-10, 14:27
Hiya mandie,
Whats cbt counselling? not heard of it before, im going to try an go docs tomorrow, got to do something.
xx

gypsywomen
24-01-10, 14:31
you also need to go back to the docter tell hm how bad you feel x

cat2
24-01-10, 18:49
Hey,

I know how you feel.. I have the same problem with anxiety/ panic attacks. I'm scared it will happen again. The thing is we over protect ourselves and the brain is getting used to thinking we're in danger when we're not. The brain can't tell the difference between real fear or imagined fear, so what we tell ourselves is how we feel. There are good books that helped me: "What to say when you talk to yourself" ,and "feel the fear and do it anyway".

If you can go on CBT treatment that could be great for you.
I tried it with a psychologist, but couldn't afford it tbh so i'm reading self help books and they do help.

Best wishes,
Cat

mandie
24-01-10, 23:01
Hi

CBT stands for cognitive behavioural therapy

Cognitive therapy is designed to change people's thoughts, beliefs, attitudes and expectations

There can be a long wait on the nhs, i waited 6 months.

good luck

mandie x