PDA

View Full Version : How long will it take for gastritis to settle?

panacea
25-01-10, 08:26
Feeling a bit down.

Diagnosed with gastritis/tiny bleed by gastroenterologist last week by endoscopy. Now on omeprazole.

Struggling with nausea every morning and not feeling 100% during the day. It's probably exacerbated by anxiety and worry.

I feel particularly fed up because I dont know what has tipped me into this viscious circle. I'm always careful with my diet, normal weight, not on long term medication, don't drink or smoke. Although I am a worrier, I wasn't particularly stressed by anything leading up to this.

Was wondering how long it is likely to take to get over this episode. Does it take a while for the omeprazole to have an effect?

Thanks

maybeoneday
25-01-10, 10:15
hi
im suffering with very bad heartburn, nausea,tiredness,pain in stomach on left upper side, very bloated noisy belly, my doctors hs given me omeprazole but i have a medication phobia, it lists some nasy side effects, have you experienced anything?

Roxy_Red
25-01-10, 10:30
Hi there, sorry to hear you are suffering with gastritis. It can be so painful. I was diagnoised earlier this month at A&E with gastritis. I already was taking 20mg daily of Omeprazole, the A&E Doctor advised me to take 40mg daily. It worked instantly for me, I could'nt believe it. I hope the Omeprazole works as quickly for you.

Roxy_Red xx

panacea
25-01-10, 11:09
Thanks to you both, Maybe and Roxy.

My pain is also central to left. The nausea, pain and belching come in waves through the day. Definitely worse in the morning.

I haven't read the side effects of omeprazole because I will start to imagine that I have every problem under the sun. At this moment in time, I think the benefits of an acid inhibitor outweigh the negatives. So I shall persevere.

I'm already on 40mg omeprazole because of the moderate gastritis and small bleed. I keep getting metallic/iron tasting burps especially in the morning but my stools are normal now, not black.

I can't work out what's worse, the gastritis or the anxiety. It's doing my head in.

Thanks anyway.

Maj
25-01-10, 11:20
Anxiety can definitely make gastritis worse as I believe it can increase the acidity in your stomach. I know lots of people on stomach meds and none of them have said they had any side effects. I think my stomach problems were made worse with anxiety. The fact that your stools are normal is a good sign. The metallic taste is a VERY common symptom and not serious. Sounds like it's settling down. It's the anxiety you now have to try and manage and it sounds like that's why you're still feeling bad. They say the stomach is the most sensitive area of the body when stressed and you are now finding this the truth!! What about trying some relaxation tapes?
Myra:hugs:

panacea
25-01-10, 11:34
Thank you for replying, Myra.

I feel so tearful this morning. The metallic taste is a great source of stress to me as well as the other symptoms but I feel comforted by your info that this is a common complaint. I even dread going to the loo, just in case..... I just can't seem to let go of my worries.

I'm trying to keep myself busy and relaxed. It's a challenge today.

Health anxiety can be so disabling and fill your every thought.

Thank you, once again.

Maj
25-01-10, 11:37
A friend at work was complaining the other week about feeling rotten, having a sore stomach and a metallic taste. She went to the doctor and was given lansoprazole. She took double the dose for a few days and then started feeling better. You are not alone. It is a really common complaint. Keep taking the meds and look after yourself. You will gradually start feeling better. Don't worry.
Myra x

maybeoneday
25-01-10, 14:00
hi panacea

sorry you have got anxiety as well hun, i find that wheni dont feel well my anxiety is high, like now with this, because i spoke to the doctor over the phone about my symptoms i feel like maybe its more that gas as hes not checked me over, did you get any of my symptoms, im cagging too and it feels like i cant breathe properly because of the bloating. i have sinus problems too so that dosnt help.
still scared to take that tablet, it says not to be taken with some anti depressants, im on seroxat anyone else took omeprazole with seroxat?
denise x