PDA

View Full Version : Panic attack after effects?

wellshivermetimbers
25-01-10, 15:19
Hi guys and girls,

Compared to my relatively long post the other day re my job interview, this post will be quite a short one. An enquiry if you will.

Does anyone else find that when something quite anxiety inducing/a worrying event makes you work yourself up (such as a job interview or hospital app etc) into an anxious state and you really have anticpated panic the days proceeding the event? Well does anyone else find that the days after the event you have weird physical symptoms and sensations such as a heavy feeling in your chest or paused heartbeats and if so, is this normal and what causes it? About 2 days after the interview i had these paused heartbeats and i still have afew today and just wanted to know whether this was a well known, post panic type thing to happen?

God Bless you all

Dave
wellshivermetimbers

Carys
25-01-10, 16:43
Absolutely ! The period after a highly stressful situation I feel physically ill. I had a very stressful day some time before Christmas, which emotionally pushed me to my limits and involved a few panic sessions; following that I felt like I had flu, aching, exhausted, the ectopic beats you have talked about, a dodgey stomach and assorted other tension symptoms- ranging from tight chest to a stuffed up nose. It was annoying as I didn't actually feel anxious at all after this one day, but I've now got used to the fact that I have a tendency to get symptoms following a really bad day. This only happens to me rarely, maybe a handful of times in a year. In actual fact, this time, it has taken about 4 weeks for my ectopic heart problem to calm down !

So, in answer to your question, certainly for me a couple of days of panic attacks preceeding an event and the actual stressful event can cause delayed stress symptoms. It is due to the amount of adrenaline that enters your system and the extreme tension in various parts of your body over the panicky period. If you liken it to having done some hard gardening, you would feel muscle pain afterwards for a few days.

Brunette
25-01-10, 16:45
Panic and anxiety can really take it out of you.

It isn't unusual to feel these and many other symptoms in the days following an anxious occasion or panic attack.

B