PDA

View Full Version : Leaving school!!!

Samantha
03-02-04, 17:13
Hi everyone, i know that for a lot of people leaving school is like the next best thing to Christmas, but i am really terrified! I do enjoy school to a certain extent and i love the structure that it puts into my life, but how do i cope when thats gone.

In four months examines will be finished and it will be the end of year 11, but with it is going to come soooooo much change. I dont cope well with change and am finding the whole idea really stressful. I know that by leaving school it will mean becoming independant and in a way the end of childhood. I know that i want to do sixthform, but i dont understand how we can choose A level courses for the future if we don't know what we want to do. I have some ideas but with not being sure of a future career or degree i am trying to keep my options open.

Everytime a teacher tells us how much time we have left i come over all light headed, dizzy, and my heart begins to race. i am finding it really hard to concentrate on the work that i am doing and so am having to do it when i get home. Lately ive been beginning to panic more and more i put my hand up in english today and begin to experience symtons of panic, the only way i could stop them was by putting my hand down yet the more i avoid it the more likely my teacher will ask me a question which then starts it again. I cant see past the end of sixth form let alone in ten years time whether ill be married, working or have had kids, which is what all our PSCHE lessons are based on, I just dont no what to do!:(

Sam

PinkLady
03-02-04, 21:12
Hi Sam.
I would first find a subject you feel real comfortable with and then looking at life in general what makes you happy. My daughter says helping olde people makes her happy but
so do teaching children. If you let them know things that you like, they in turn could give you some sugestions. And let them know you would like a little more time to decide. You have a long road ahead of you and its a big world with tons of opportunity. I have
a student that tudors my daughter went to collage with plans on becoming in medicine and now is changing her mind. She is taking courses that still will able her to go in that direction plus options of others. I think if you spent some time with the right guidiance
councellor you will feel more at ease.

Trina

benoo5
03-02-04, 22:29
hi sam,

i have three daughters..one knew exactly wot she wanted..to be a nurse,and she qualified last year.

another decided on media studies,because she thought it was a soft option..but it was like a duck to water,she really took to it,came out with a distinction,and now works as a production assistant,with sky television.

but my youngest!...she is now at college in durham...studying boys...she is also taking media studies...i spent hours talking to her about her future,but like you,she was confused,didnt want to leave school,where she considered herself safe,to go to a college,where she didnt know anyone...but shes settled in,made new friends...and still scrounging off dad...as for the future,she hasent got a clue,wot shes doing,nor have i!...its called growing up,none of us know the future...but your a very sensible young lady,and i really do think,that whatever you decide to do,you will do well....bryan.

mico
03-02-04, 22:43
Hi Sam

I wouldn't worry too much, I mean if your going to enter into 6th form(I'm assuming this is at your current school) then you arn't actually leaving are you?

And as for the rest of your life, careers and so on, you shouldn't worry about that either. People go into retirement still wondering what they want to do!! Really, your not alone on that one, other people may seem very decisive and sure about their future career paths they choose, but there will be many of those people will find they are not so sure about it a couple of years down the line. Just try to find something your interested in and that you'll enjoy.

If you move into different schools, colleges, jobs or whatever then it IS a change, but after a couple of months once you've settled it becomes normal again.

Your young Sam, and this is a good time to try to tackle your anxiety as you go through these changes. You learn a lot quicker when your young and your going to have great opportunities to challenge yourself with.

Good luck

mico

mico
03-02-04, 22:48
Sorry Guys, Must have been writing my post at same time as Bryan, now I look like I've just copied off his post. lol

Anyway you'll be fine Sam

mico

benoo5
03-02-04, 23:10
you made some good points mico..i know your studying,so your words will mean more to sam.....ive often written a post,only to find meg,has beaten me by a minute or so...i use one finger,she uses all hers lol...best wishes..bryan.

stimpy
04-02-04, 09:45
Sam

Try not to worry too much about it.
You have many open doors, enjoy the experience.
Think of the great things you can do. College, or a nice job somewhere.
Don't think of it as the be all and end all, see it as the start of something new and exciting.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

Samantha
04-02-04, 19:06
Hi Trina, bryan, Mico, Liz, thanks for replying, when i was younger i didnt think this day would come but now that its here i cant see what the future may hold.

Trina-yeah i have spoke to two careers advisors, which i have now seen where my a level choices could take me. Everyones saying to take something that youll enjoy so in a way at least i will enjoy these courses even if i dont know where i am taking them.
Bryan-your girls sound as if they are enjoying what they are doing, and all gone on into further education u sound really proud. I am going to continue with me media studies, and have decided to keep my options open by taking two 'solid' subjects with them as well.

Mico-yeah it is the same school, which in a way is a good thing as at least i will know the school and teachers etc. I know your right change wil come and i will adapt but wouldnt it be good if thins could stay the way they are 4eva?
Liz-yeah but soo many doors to choose from...lol, but at least i will have time to think about it in these next two years, and the experience i could gain would help later on in making these decisions.
Thankyou all for your replies
Sam

Rennie1989
04-02-04, 20:37
Sammy (ya dont mind me callin ya that)

ya have exacly the same as me, but im in yr9. I get light headed, skaky (24-7), sweaty or cold, scared and neusious.

do ya take rescue remodies coz they help if ya take em before ya leave to go to school.

i write a diary everyday with what happens to me at a school day coz it let outs my feelins, try it

hope ya recover soon

jade

mico
04-02-04, 21:27
quote:Originally posted by Samantha

i didnt think this day would come but now that its here i cant see what the future may hold.

I think thats pretty normal for everybody Sam. We grow up thinking adulthood is so far ahead we barely believe that it will come, and if if it does we are going to be completely different people, much stronger just like those people we look up to, right? Well I think your getting to the age where you are beginning to realise that that assumption is wrong just like we all did. I hope I'm not making it sound like a bad thing, it's not, but you never turn into a different person, you'll always be you.

I suppose when you are young your parents/friends/relatives, etc look after you a lot and give you a lot of direction in your life. You are shown where to go, how to do it etc. Now you are reaching an age where you are making your own decisions about a lot of things, some of which might seem like very big decisions to you. You are creating your own path now. But don't worry about because we ALL feel the same.

Maybe it would be 'comfortable' if things stayed the same forever Sam, but to be honest, I think you'd get quite bored after a while. If you try to think more positively then you begin to welcome change and the excitement and happiness it can bring. I know it's difficult to deal with sometimes - I hide away from things all the time - but it can be good for you, seriously! You will have many oppurtunities over the next few years and with a more positive view on change will help you get through this time and shape you into a much stronger person.

The reason I am saying all this is because your at a great age where you can learn fast, forget problems quickly etc, etc, etc. The rest of your teenage years will help shape you as an adult, so make the most of it.

mico

Samantha
05-02-04, 19:27
Hi Jade course not some ppl call me that- what are rescue remodies?
Mico-your exactly right and if things did stay the same where would the new adventures lie? I suppose when we are younger we assume that everyone is immortal and things will be the same, its just i cant let go of the past if that makes sense and as new things begin to happen i feel bad about not enjoying them. The more i cling on to the past the more of the future i miss which i then resent later on as things could have been different.
sam

mico
06-02-04, 11:52
The past is usually more comfortable than the future Sam, more predictable, you know what is happening in the past. The future however is an entirely different thing, you have no Idea what is going to happen, some people find that exciting, but for a lot of anxious people it is intimidating.

I think your probably just seeking the comfort of the past because you are so unsure of the future. But unless you build a time machine your not going to stay in the past and you will have to move on. Think more positively about the future, picture it just as how you want it to be and set some goals for yourself to help you get there. Sometimes just having some goals to focus on can take your mind off a lot of things.

mico

Samantha
08-02-04, 18:35
hi mico ty for replying
Your right the past is comfortable, and although we cant change things everything seems ok, where as the future like you say is unknown. At the moment im focusing on short term goals like coursework and options at least it gives me chance to concentrate on the here and now before the future.
Sam

Positive thinking is the key to success!