PDA

View Full Version : Hello from WembleyBear

WembleyBear
26-01-10, 10:48
Hi, I'm Martyn. I'm 39 and have so many anxiety problems I hardly know where to start! I work in a very stressful IT job, and over the last year my symptoms have worsened.

I suffer from chronic neck pain due to loose ligaments (it's a hypermobility thing apparently as I'm 6'8" tall) and have also recently been diagnosed with prostatitis. I take Dosulepin at night for depression/anxiety but cannot take it in the morning as it makes me too sleepy.

I like my job (used to love it, but ownership of the company changed two years ago and my new director is a real bully), but it is very stressful - I am the only IT support worker in the group and people often vent their frustration verbally at me. My director is totally unsupportive and often speaks to me and indeed my colleagues in a very rude and agressive manner (at least it isn't just me - I try not to take it personally, but I do anyway!). I have no-one in the company I can talk to about this, as the three directors back each other up and just challenge me abusively if I try to raise the issues or say how I feel.

In the last year I have moved house 4 times (finally buying my own place!) but I am increasingly exhausted, at my pain, at the stress of work, at the fear of losing my job and my own health anxiety. My performance at work has gone down considerably because of this, perhaps unsurprisingly, and this doesn't help either.

My one supporter is my partner of 9 years, but he has no concept of depression or anxiety and is almost never ill, so he struggles to understand sometimes. He is a great guy and I love him to bits but am terrified that I push him away with all my problems sometimes. My parents don't accept that I am gay and will not talk to me about it, so I feel like I am hiding that from them as well.

What a nightmare I am! :) Sometimes I find myself wondering how quickly I can get the day over with so I can go back to bed. I am thinking of having either counselling or CBT, but as usual spend so long deliberating over the decision I don't know what to do - I spoke to my GP but there is a waiting list on the NHS of 6-8 months, so I have to think about finding one privately and that has put me in a quandry!

Well, there you have it, or at least most of it. I would probably say that I am generally anxious/health anxious and would welcome any advice on CBT or counselling that anyone has....

Martyn :)

diane07
26-01-10, 10:52
Hi WembleyBear

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

ZoJo
26-01-10, 11:16
Hello Martyn,

Welcome to NMP, you will find loads of help and advice from people on here. I suffer with anxiety mainly health, which I am gradually, hopefully beating! I am in a much better place now than what I was a few years ago.
I have had medication, used natural methods (Bach remedies and breathing) I have even tried spiritual healing!!
At the moment I am reading Dr Claire Weekes book about nerves, it is on sale in the NMP online shop. I am finding that a great help and a good read. I also went for one CBT session, but didn't go back due to having a new born baby and I obviously couldn't take him along!. I have been to councelling, which I did find helpful, talking I find does wonders.
I have also tried an online CBT training called Moodgym, some people like it, some don't. 'The Linden Method' which cost me money!!! and I never completed it!!
It all takes time and with some trial and errors along the way but it can be done.
Partners do find it hard, especially if they don't have any anxiety, it is a strange one to understand but it does sound like he is trying to understand.
Hope my ramblings have helped slightly!!!

WembleyBear
26-01-10, 12:45
Thanks for the welcomes. I will have a look at MoodGym, but agree with you that talking is probably what I really need with someone impartial. I'm going to take the plunge and ring a counsellor. I'm sure it's a gradual thing, but I want to move away from this feeling of helplessness that I have. I've tried hard to do progressive relaxation exercises everyday for the last couple of months, but it's my mind that really needs the help!

Thanks for your comments - they really do help! I will have a look at Claire Weekes book, maybe I can get it from the library. I am currently reading the Relaxation and Stress Reduction Workbook, which I'm finding really interesting.

Huge boost to know others are working to overcome their anxieties too from this site!

Best wishes
Martyn

Andyroo
26-01-10, 12:53
Hello there

Welcome to NMP! theres lots of helpful information here.

Its really good to have you with us!

You will have lots of love and support here!! welcome. :hugs:

Veronica H
26-01-10, 13:40
:welcome:Martyn. This is a friendly place with great information and support. I am glad that you are having counselling. Anxiety sends us into a downward spiral of negativity This will get better.

Veronicax

marie1974
26-01-10, 13:52
hello and welcome to nmp, you will find lots of support and info here and make lovely new friends too. hugs xx