PDA

View Full Version : Fear of meds

DagoGirl
24-12-05, 21:18
As most people with anxiety and panic - I have a terrible fear of meds. I read a side effect then I get it or think I get it. I just started lustral and ive done alot of reading on it online - I have seen every horror story known to man. I have been waking up with very strange vivid dreams and feeling spaced out tottaly. This immediatly sends me into anxiety cuz I think its me going crazy. The feelings of unreality seem way worse when I wake up because of this sensation. I have only been on the meds for 6 days so I know I havent given it time to work, but im scared to keep taking it. The Dr said to take it for at least two weeks before I decide because most side effects go away after two weeks. I have also heard that it can increase anxiety before it makes it go away. But as with any phobia, having to do the thing your afraid of everyday ie taking pills, can be very scary and I want to know its gonna be worth it. Thanks Chrissy

Arclite
04-01-06, 07:51
Like you, I also had this fear when I started taking Citalopram. Infact I was initially perscribed Cipralex, but I didn't want to take them after reading the Side Effects.

I have found that the side effects are kind of generic for all medications. I checked my Anti-Spasmodic IBS tablets and found they had the exact same side effects.

The only ones that I think are related to the Anti-D Meds are the increased anxiety and panic attacks. I certainly felt this but I was warned by my doctor that this was to be expected.

Stick with it, I'm 3 weeks into taking Citalopram and all side effects have subsided. My appetite is returning and I sleep normally once again.

sal
04-01-06, 17:56
I was just like you were, every single side affects bothered me to distraction. As soon as i took a tablet i could feel all the side affects taking over.

But in reality that was my anxiety causing that. Dont get me wrong some medication i did take did me no favours at all but i am lucky that i did manage to persevere with one that has helped me a lot.

A friend once asked me why i read the side affects before i start taking them and just see what happens. She then asked me if i had a headache and took a paracetamol did i read the side affects first, i could only answer no. Her simple reply to that was all medication has side affects so why judge a certain type by side affects and not even give others a second thought.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".