PDA

View Full Version : palpitations

worrier1
26-01-10, 13:35
I have been getting palpitations lately which are scaring me quite a bit.
If I take my pulse, it seems to beat "normally" then stop then have 3 or 4 rapid beats. It also seems to get worse after I have eaten.

I am 35 years and consider myself fairly fit and healthy although I drink 6-7 cups of tea a day and have lately been having a few beers on a night, probably most nights since Christmas.

Since the weekend I have made a concious decision to cut out all caffene and alcohol to see if the palpitations get better.Yesterday it seemed better, but today they seem to be their again. I also suffer from health anx. so I dont think that helps!

I saw a doc last year who took my pulse and didnt seem concerned!

Should I just try and forget a bout these? Anyone else have this?

could this

Neesh X
26-01-10, 13:45
Hi Chick,
Yeah i get this alot. It worried me so much that its actually what brought on my 1st big panick attack. I had a pain in my left arm and it felt like my heart was stopping and then beating really fast and unsteady straight after.
I have since had an ECG and everything is fine. From what i have read on here its seems like quite a common symtom of anxiety. Its you body again preparing to fight or flight.(the adrenaline can cause this)
The caffene can make anxiety worse ive cut tea-coffee out completely for the last 2 months and feel it is helping alot in the day now but i do still have that same feeling with my heart at night.
If you are really concerned id say speak to your doctor about getting an ECG to put your mind at ease.
Hope you start to feel better soon
Neesh X

rozie
26-01-10, 14:22
Hi Worrier.

I empathise totally and can promise you that if you read the many posts on here plus the brilliant articles you will come to realise that you are not alone with this problem.

Along with the medical check up, I'm sure you will find comfort and reassurance that this is annoying but not in any way life threatening.

Let me know how you get on.

Wishing you well
Rozie

hoppipolla
27-01-10, 02:12
In people with anxiety palpitations may well be more common than not! I came to the conclusion it was the heart's reaction to long periods of high adrenaline, but I could be wrong :)

In less usual circumstances, it can signify other things but this is unlikely. If you are concerned then you can also have a blood pressure test and blood test, that will provide a bigger gauge still to your hearts health, but almost certainly its just anxiety if you're just getting palpitations :)

Propranolol clears them up quite nicely, but they probably wont do you any harm :)

worrier1
27-01-10, 09:46
thanks for all your replies.
I have cut tea,coffee and alcohol out of my diet. How soon should I notice the difference if it were these that could be causing the palps?

Should it be instant or should it be ober a longer period of time?

honeybee3939
27-01-10, 09:51
Hi there

When i cut caffine out it took me over a week before i started to feel the difference. I had a rotten headache for a whole week i even went to see my gp who explained it was the caffine withdrawl.

Hope that helps
:hugs:
Andrea
xxx

hoppipolla
28-01-10, 01:22
I have cut tea,coffee and alcohol out of my diet. How soon should I notice the difference if it were these that could be causing the palps?

Should it be instant or should it be ober a longer period of time?

heh, well I wouldn't say cutting out alcohol is essential, I for one find that socially drinking really helps me react, and many doctors actually say in moderation it's GOOD for the heart!!

On the site of the American Heart Foundation:

"The risk of heart disease in people who drink moderate amounts of alcohol (an average of one drink for women or two drinks for men per day) is lower than in nondrinkers. One drink is defined as 1-1/2 fluid ounces (fl oz) of 80-proof spirits (such as bourbon, Scotch, vodka, gin, etc.), 1 fl oz of 100-proof spirits, 4 fl oz of wine or 12 fl oz of beer. It's not recommended that nondrinkers start using alcohol or that drinkers increase the amount they drink."

Now is that weird or is that WEIRD! hehe :)

But anyway yes, stimulant drugs such as caffeine and nicotine I would agree with cutting out if possible :) I would say again though that palpitation are not harmful as far as I'm aware of have ever been told, and are often linked with anxiety.

Good luck with everything though, we're all here to help! ^_^

worrier1
29-01-10, 12:01
Have managed to keep off caffeine and alcohol for 1 week now and do feel a bit better, although i am still getting the odd flutter in my throat. The palps dont seem as strong as they did at the beginning of the week, which is good!:)

When takng my own pulse, I can still notice what seems like the odd skipped beat......is this normal?or should i say normal for somone who is suffering with palps?