PDA

View Full Version : Food poisioning fears

PixieL
26-01-10, 16:06
Hi all, some of you might remember me but i havent been around for ages as i've been really ill with my panic attacks. Just wanted some advice on this really. I'm terrified of food poisioning and its got so bad i mistrust all foods and don't want to eat. I just don't know how to get past the fear, and i can't explain why im so scared, vomiting or anything dosn't really bother me, well nomore than the next person obviously noone enjoys it. But i'm so scared of getting ill. It's really hard to explain, does anyone else ever get this unexplained fear for no reason? I just feel like its another thing in a long line of phobias i have and i hate it. I'm hungry but i can't bring myself to eat and its worrying everyone in my family. I just don't know what to do. any advice?

Maj
26-01-10, 18:16
I feel for you. I've never had such a fear, but the only thing I can suggest is facing the fear and doing it. Try and summon up as much acceptance as you can towards the phobia and reassure yourself that it is only a fearful thought, then try and eat something. You can't possibly starve yourself. If this is having such an effect on your life then you need to let your doctor know. We have to eat to live. I'm sure you'll get through this with the right help.
Myra:hugs:

PixieL
26-01-10, 18:50
Hi Myra thanks for your reply, i've had a chat with my dad and agreed to eat some potatos and stew just a little to start. I was in such a state when i posted first i forgot to say alot of my problems with food also come from a chokeing phobia and germ phobias. Your right though i have to eat. Thanks again :)

KK77
27-01-10, 01:27
I've always been a fussy eater but a few years ago I noticed that I would worry about how food had been cooked - whether it'd been cooked enough and that I may get a serious illness from eating meat. It also coincided with the time I came off my antidepressant.

I don't have such fears now - although I am still very fussy with food - and I would definitely speak to your GP about it because you don't want to leave it until it becomes a much more serious eating disorder.

Take care

butterfly00
27-01-10, 01:28
My panic attacks started with a bout of food poisoning and had a big fear of it for 6 years. I was nervous about eating anything even lettuce just inc ase the water it was washed in was dirty or something. Over time I started eating more andmore things untill it was just chicken I wouldn't eat, and then I would eat it but only if I cooked it, and now I'm fine with all foods, I do tend to over cook meat but its all progress and a process of desensitising yourself to undue worry.

PixieL
27-01-10, 01:59
Thanks for your replys, i will be seeing someone tomorrow from the recovery team at my local mental health clinic as i havent eaten properly in a while. Thank you for your support guys it means alot to know im not alone in this. xxxxxxx:hugs:to you guys

unspoken
27-01-10, 01:59
I know this feeling. I have a phobia of chicken, particularly raw chicken. I wash everything before I use it, just in case someone cut chicken and didn't bother washing the stuff properly. I can't touch raw meat at all. I got IBS after a stomach bug and I've been really paranoid since. As much as I try to be rational about it, this TV advert I saw where this woman puts raw chicken on a chopping board then puts the bread for the sandwich on it and then her husband gets food poisoning terrifies me.

I cope with it by mostly eating foods which are unlikely to give me food poisoning. So something like boiled vegetables, pasta, tinned and packeted long life type foods. Focus on being able to eat things that are low risk first and then try to build up and reintroduce meat and things into your diet. As said above, once you realise that you won't get poisoned, you'll feel more comfortable eating.

saz2121
01-02-10, 13:13
My sentiments exactly. I came down with quite bad food poisoning last July - after eating Chinese food. I will ill for 6 weeks and off work for almost 3. I dropped over a stone in a week. I had the constant runs for weeks, constant nausea, sweats, fever when i was awake, aching limbs etc. I was at the docs several times within that period, stool tests, blood tests etc etc. Blood was fine showing i was fighting off infection & stools were fine. I didn't know they tested for salmonella only when REQUESTED. They didn't default on tesing for this. I could be quote rich my now has they done so.

Anyway, since then i haven't been the same. Paranoid is an understatement. The smell drived me crazy but my safety behaviours kick in. I hate to eat out, when i do i ALWAYS think i have caught something... which in turn sets of panic attacks, which in turns FEELS like food poisoning. Nausea, the skits, acheing tummy, IBS, hightened temperature.

I know how it feels, but i always tell myself our bodies are amazing things and what they can endure is amazing. One day our bodies will pack in, but not for many years yet. I have been well from anxiety for about 3 months and in those 3 months i have had the best fun EVER. I let go of the crap that weights us down.

But guess what..... i had a dodgy Fajita on Friday night..... and the runs on Saturday.... stomach still feels dodgy and it's Monday...... that's another one of my fave foods out the window. Won't be eating them again..... back to square one.

fordbird
29-06-11, 21:56
read my post `contamination and harming fears` in the ocd section.
i have similar problems to yourself, but i think food and drink is contaminated and i cant cook for myself and its very tiring and stressful esp we ur family dont get it and either ignore you or laugh at u.

seen so many people about this over the years and still i have it.

hope this helps let me know if you would like any further info or help from me.