PDA

View Full Version : Get so many missed beats at night, feel like I'm about to die

ro44
26-01-10, 17:08
I have been having so many pvc's lately when trying to fall asleep. Last night they were HORRIBLE!!! At one point I was skipping after only 8 beats. It seems to be worse when I have eaten after 7:00 p.m. or so. I go to be early, usually by 10:00. If I have a really empty stomach I seem to do better. If I have indigestion, the pvc's are really bad. Does anyone get them so bad when they are trying to sleep that you wonder if you are going to make it. Sometimes I gasp, startle BIG TIME when trying to drift off. During the day, I have them but not that bad.

Anybody relate?

Going home
26-01-10, 17:21
Hi ro,

Yes this is really common for alot of people who get ectopics. Usually because the evening meal tends to be a bigger meal, and sometimes the stomach can irritate the heart. There's a nerve called the Vagus nerve that runs from the base of the brain down to the groin area, via the heart and stomach amongst other parts, so sometimes the meals you eat can irritate your heart. Also, if you tend to drink more coffee or alcohol in the evenings this could do it too, but if you think its only after eating, especially if you tend to feel bloated, then i'd say the Vagus nerve is the culprit. I find chewing a few ant-acids helps.

GH xx

Maj
26-01-10, 17:53
I know exactly how you feel. I get lots at night too. Some nights worse than others. They are a nuisance but try to be reassured that they are harmless. These are my only symptoms at the moment and have been going on for 6 months. I am not scared of them so it puzzles me why they are still happening so often. I agree with Going Home, I think it can have something to do with your digestive system - although the doctor's quite often refuse to believe this. But as someone said to me recently "the doctor's and nursing staff are the bread and we are the bit of meat between the sandwich - the bit that really knows what's what!!". I couldn't agree more!! Please try not to worry.
Myra:hugs:

ro44
26-01-10, 19:02
I totally agree. I have had these for many years. They seem their worst when I have really bad indigestion. (a lot of burping). Sometimes when I am burping a lot, I then get hiccups. The pvc's are always really bad then. There is a definite connection. I think if I eat really small meals - I do better. I think that lying down when I'm full also makes it worse for me.

Carys
26-01-10, 19:04
I seem to get mine after eating, and that is the only time. It starts practically as soon as I've eaten, and is mild at breakfast, a bit worse after the meal in the middle of the day and after the evening meal is always more severe. I undertstand all the vagus nerve being stimulated thing, and can related mine to digestion just like you, but don't understand why it is being stimulated in the first place. I've eaten for over 40 years without having my vagus nerve being stimulated, so what has changed that has caused it ? I'm not even flippin anxious, and I class myself as being mentally well, so it is seriously irritating. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can explain what causes the vagus nerve stimulation in the first place ?

I have had them late in the evening, but generally by bed time my stomach is kind of back to normal and they slow down. Sorry to hear they are getting you down, but, just as I've discovered over a couple of months, they really won't cause anything serious to happen to you as terrifying as they are causing you to feel.

ames6767
26-01-10, 19:33
Oh I know how you feel. I ate a large meal and sat down after a busy day and I had a terrible run of missed beats it frightened me soo much. I really think that a full stomach sets me off too but it still doesnt stop me being petrified of them. I hope they get better for you soon. x

Going home
26-01-10, 20:05
I understand your puzzlement Carys, and while we're waiting for someone with more knowledge to come along perhaps i can offer you this suggestion...that the reason you have been able to eat for all these years without the vagus nerve being stimulated is maybe because you didn't suffer from anxiety for all of those years, and the fact that you do now means that your digestive system is already sensitive and succeptable to these things.

Also, it's well documented that as we age, our digestive system ages too just like everything else, and so we tend to get more problems with the stomach or bowel than we used to.

Hope this helps

GH :)

Carys
26-01-10, 21:49
I understand your puzzlement Carys, and while we're waiting for someone with more knowledge to come along perhaps i can offer you this suggestion...that the reason you have been able to eat for all these years without the vagus nerve being stimulated is maybe because you didn't suffer from anxiety for all of those years, and the fact that you do now means that your digestive system is already sensitive and succeptable to these things.

Also, it's well documented that as we age, our digestive system ages too just like everything else, and so we tend to get more problems with the stomach or bowel than we used to.

I think you might have a point with the ageing digestive thingy Goinghome....the reason I am puzzled is because I had years of serious anxiety issues, but not for over a decade. Never had ectopics after eating during all of that time, despite having periods of utter meltdown. Yet after one stressful panic attack day before Christmas they started, and I for the last few weeks I've felt fine - apart from being irritated by them. I have carried on with all social activities, work, housekeeping, nothing has changed, I don't feel depressed and don't feel anxious any more.

This is why I think you may have a very good point, that I am now much older and the way my stomach and 'inside bits and bobs' lol react is different. Anyhow, I've yet again hijacked another thread about ectopic beats...sorry to the OP...at least you know you aren't alone !

Going home
26-01-10, 21:54
lol :D xx

TracyL
26-01-10, 23:46
Hi Guys

Same thing happens to me. I go through phases where I have them every few beats then they ease off abit and will come back with a vengeance. I also find I get them really bad at night or after eating. Certain foods seem to make it worse also. I know last night they started and I still had them when I went to bed and when I woke this morning they're still there. I also have like a really upset stomach so not sure if that is making them worse or whether I have the stomach upset because i'm anxious about them.

We're all in this together though guys and it helps to know i'm in such good company!!!

Love Tracy

Typer
27-01-10, 02:51
I am sick of them...after food, in between, relaxing, working, bad days, better days...no rhyme or reason to mine at all. I am just fed up with them and wish they would go away as quick as they came.

My sympathy with you all..

nickieb
11-02-10, 16:50
Yep getting them terrible too & defo worse after eating. Last night every other beat wasa missed beat for a good few hours. They truly are awful x

Nomorepalpitations
11-02-10, 19:08
I hate to sound like a taurine salesman or something but it really worked for me. I went from 50+ palps a day to 0 by supplementing with taurine. Can't guarantee it'll work for you but it might be worth a shot.

nickieb
11-02-10, 19:46
Does it interact with any meds?

Nomorepalpitations
13-02-10, 09:40
There should be little or no interaction as taurine is an natural amino-acid and is found in foods.Of coures in tablet form it would be more concentrated than in foods. Obviously, if you are worried ask your doc, but i'm sure if there were serious interactions it would be withdrawn from sale (you can buy it at Holland and barret, or any good health store i'm sure). I'm a real convert and have read papers on the internet that show that it lowers cholesterol, helps with palps and lowers blood pressure. Personally, I think for anyone who wants to maintain a healthy heart it should be a must. I must stress though that I am not a doctor and so, if you are already taking prescribed meds for your heart or have a diagnosed heart problem please consult with your doc before adding taurine.

http://www.lipidworld.com/content/7/1/38 - A medical paper on the cholesterol lowering effects of taurine.

http://www.healthy.net/scr/article.aspx?ID=1971 - Information on the benefits of taurine for arrhythmias.

I hope taurine works as well for you as it did for me. Best of luck!

looking4answers
13-02-10, 21:31
This thread should be made permanent. I have had made this statement probably thousands of times.. yes yes yes .. My heart skips every couple of minutes till I go to sleep and even wakes me sometimes doing this. I think its just readjusting to slow down for the night..Mine has been doing this forever and im still here so think you will be fine.. but if you are worried go to your doctor.. Michael

dulcie
14-02-10, 23:35
thank you for all this above. I have had missed beats a lot since i stopped smoking using gum - it gave me bad indegestion and wind - lots of burps!! doctor thought I'd lost the plot, everything you have said has reassured me no end - there is a connection between the beats and the burps, thank you sooo much

smpomeroy
17-03-10, 00:54
oh thank goodness you have just described what I get at so often at night and sometimes during the day. I can lay awake for hours checking my pulse with these weird missed or extra strong heartbeats that make me wake with a start or gasp when Im just dropping off to sleep and they are so often accompanied by indigestion with lots of burping..... obviously we are not alone and Ill try not to be scared of them anymore!

suz
x:D

Typer
17-03-10, 12:40
Nomore palpatations I have M's you for dosage of taurine.

Macchiavelli
21-03-10, 02:49
I seem to get it worse after meals (mostly lunchtime) - seem to burp every couple of seconds for about an hour lol! why is this?