PDA

View Full Version : should i take citalopram?

mike_coventry_uk
27-01-10, 17:41
i have been suffering with dizziness and lightheaded feeling,my doc has checked me and said it is down to my anxiety. they have given me citalopram to take to help with the anxiety. when i get new tablets and with it been my 1st experience of anti depreants i am a little worried?

any users of citalopram who can give me some advice and reassurance before i take my first dose tonight?

omg i actually wory about worrying!

Cell block H fan
27-01-10, 18:41
My brother has been on these years now, & they keep him on the straight & narrow perfectly! I cant take them, I tried for 3 days a few years ago & couldnt get on with the side affects. But he swears by them. I think they suit men better! lol
I would probably take them am rather than pm though. Up to you. Others might have more info for you
x

KK77
27-01-10, 18:54
Well it's not surprising you're worrying because that's what you've been given them for! What dose have you been given? They do work but you have to be patient and give them time - usually 4-6 weeks or more.

I think they suit men better! lol

I thought it was the other way round Cell Block! Have to look into that one...

Cell block H fan
27-01-10, 19:08
Well it's not surprising you're worrying because that's what you've been given them for! What dose have you been given? They do work but you have to be patient and give them time - usually 4-6 weeks or more.

I thought it was the other way round Cell Block! Have to look into that one...

I dont know to be honest, you could be right lol I am just going from personal experience. I couldn't take the side affects, but my brother has been fine on them. I think he got some headaches to start with but that was it. And you can definitely tell when he's run out of them & not been back to the docs for more because he withdraws into himself! My mum has to make the appointment for him because he just doesn't bother!
My doctor suggested me cutting them in half at the time, I think I was put on 20mg? This was years ago so i'm not totally sure. But by then I didn't want to know, & in all honesty I didn't really need them. I had split with someone & found it hard to cope, but time was all I needed not meds. Things happen for a reason I believe x

mike_coventry_uk
27-01-10, 19:12
i have been given a 20mg doseage but am contemplating halving the tablet and trying to start with just a 10mg?

if the tablets disagree with you can you just stop taking them or should u seek docs adivice?

Jem21
27-01-10, 19:15
Hi Mike, I'm on Citolopram and i've found them fantastic, they worked really quickly for me. Check out the citolopram part of the forum, as you'll get lots of advise and you can see other peoples experiences and put your mind at rest.

Cell block H fan
27-01-10, 19:15
i have been given a 20mg doseage but am contemplating halving the tablet and trying to start with just a 10mg?

if the tablets disagree with you can you just stop taking them or should u seek docs adivice?

Only a doctor could advise you to halve the meds. But my doctor asked if I wanted to literally saw the tablets in half, over the phone after 3 days when I got stressed about the side affects. But I wasn't having any of it, & didn't take anymore of them. It didn't do me any harm. I think if someone has been on them a while, its not advisable to just stop them straight off. Thats where my brother comes unstuck because he runs out of them & doesn't bother getting anymore, so goes right down!
If you give them a go & stop them after a few days it wont do you any harm.

KK77
27-01-10, 19:42
See how you get on with the dose the doctor has prescribed and if the side effects are too much ring your GP and ask if you can take half. But you may be fine on 20mg, which is the normal dose for citalopram.

I know it's hard but try to think positively - you won't know till you take them what effect they'll have.

hopefulis
27-01-10, 22:30
I'm on day 12 of citalopram and have had no side effects. I take 10mg in the morning as my gp advised I may get sleep problems if I took them at night. I halved my tablet for the first 2 days and was fine.

I've noticed a real difference in my mood and stopped focussing as much on my health anxieties both yesterday and today.

My experience so far has been nothing but positive and I wish I'd started them sooner rather than stress about the side effects!

Good luck.

NeverRelaxed
27-01-10, 22:54
i was prescribed just beofe xmas, deicided nt to take it..thought i was stronger thn the meds...didnt want to rely on them...im thinking tht was the wrong descision now :(