PDA

View Full Version : DP

DagoGirl
26-12-05, 18:38
I am still having the depersonalization even though im not acutally having PA's. Im anxious but not having PA's. Is it abnormal for me to have the feeling of DP last for a 4 weeks? It does go away for minutes sometimes hours but always comes back. Im scared it wont ever go away - and im scared that its not normal for it to last for so long and so constantly? Thanks for any assurance. Chrissy[:I]

desperate
26-12-05, 19:41
Hi Chrissy,

I don't have proper PAs anymore but i doo suffer from DP/DR a LOT! It's not abnormal at all for 4 weeks...i won't tell you how long mine has been going on for but 4weeks is fine. It will go away as your anxiety does.

Sarah

nblncs7
26-12-05, 19:55
Hello Chrissy,
I understand whay you are going through. Be in control and don't put yourself to worry every hour , "when is this going away?". I've noticed I do that and that does not make it any better. Think of it this way, your going to survive every PA. I'm fighting it constantly, your definitely not alone.

SickofIt
26-12-05, 21:23
I'm feeling a little discouraged today regarding DP. I was going along fine, had some "blips" regarding anxiety/panic and dealt with some difficult personal issues. On top of it all, I am sick today and not feeling well at all. Over the past couple of days, I have really been feeling "out of it." This is going to sound strange, but for those who have dealt with DP/DR (I suppose that's most who post here), have you ever felt like "this particular bout of it feels different than the last" or that "maybe this time it won't go away?" It is really bothering me lately.

DagoGirl
27-12-05, 02:37
Sarah thank you for telling me that its not abnormal. But if you say it goes away when the anxiety goes away then how come your still having it? Is yours constant or just when your anxious about something? Do you think its possible that becuase im so scared of it and constantly worried about when its gonna happen again that I actually cause it?

'Sickofit' - Yes I worry all the time that this time is different and that im going to be stuck this way forever "this time." It is terrible!!!

I dont want to be someone who suffers from it for years constantly. The thought of that makes me not want to even wake up in the morning. Do you think the people that have suffered for years are people that arent getting treatment??? Thank you all for any answers! Chrissy

Meg
27-12-05, 13:15
You can feel less anxious on the outside but still be really tense on the inside. Often when you've been really affected you forget what relaxation truly feels like and think your over it when your body is still holding a lot of tension/ anxiety.

I found that it was with me constantly, then I had lots of time of drifting in and out , then less and less with the odd blip back into it until I realized that I hadn't had any for x months and none since either and now years have passed.

I would put lots of money on the fact yoga helped me learn to breathe and relax properly and helped DP. I would go in all DP'd and come out without it.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

DagoGirl
27-12-05, 15:51
Hey Meg thank you. Would you say it was "normal" to feel it for 4 weeks? Does it mean that I will have it for years? Do you think that the anxiety of taking the medicine is keeping it at the forfront for me, at least until I get comfortable with my med?

Meg
27-12-05, 16:06
4 weeks - Oh yes, that is well within the realms of usual ..

No - it doesn't mean you will have it for years.

I don't know about the meds link bit.

Meg

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.

desperate
27-12-05, 17:41
Hi Dago,

Although i don't have PAs i am still an anxious person, i just think i've learnt to be like that over the last couple of years and although the stressors in my life have maybe gone their shadow maybe lingers on.

Sarah

DagoGirl
27-12-05, 17:59
Meg how long is the norm for it to last? Is it true that as the anxiety subsides it will subside to? Have you ever heard of meds helping with it? Any pointers other then Yoga(dont have the money) that can help make it wan faster? Thanks Meg

Meg
27-12-05, 18:02
There isn't a standard norm.. its takes as long as it takes for each person.

Active relaxation helps

Meg

nomorepanic
27-12-05, 18:40
I had DP for many months and it did come and go but now I think it has gone completely.

Hopefully it will go for you soon as well.

Nicola

DagoGirl
27-12-05, 19:12
Thank you Nic and Meg. I too am hoping it goes away soon. Do either of you think that the fear of it is keeping it around? Im always worried about it and thinking about it therefore it doesnt go away.

Nic - what do you think helped yours? Have you ever heard of meds helping it?

nomorepanic
27-12-05, 19:19
Yes worrying about it will keep it in the forefront of your thoughts so can exaggerate the feelings.

Mine seemed to go when I started a health regime - diet and exercise. It could be that I stopped focusing on it and channelled my energies into that. I am not sure that meds cure it but as they relieve some of the symptoms then they could help it lessen.

Nicola

Kroko
31-12-05, 14:51
I've had constant DP since the beginning of 2000.

desperate
31-12-05, 15:21
Hi kroko,

Mine has been more on than off for a few years now too.

Sarah

Tomimo
31-12-05, 17:17
When I've got mine it stays for ages. I find it very frustrating and scary but as time goes on I get used to it and it doesn't bother me so much - I just accept it. Some days I realise that it isn't there but most of the time it is. I think it is normal for it to last a long time :)

Annie x