PDA

View Full Version : need to see a shrink - what can I expect??

freakedout
27-12-05, 01:30
Hi,

I have an appointment at the beginning of February to see a consultant psychiatrist apparently for assessment and review of my medication. I am currently on anti-depressants for anxiety, panic, agoraphobia and depression (well I think the tablets are supposed to help all those things). I am scared to go to the hospital, the journey, the waiting room etc and mostly the consultation. If anyone can give me a rough idea what I may expect at this appointment I may feel a little less anxious about it.

When people ask "whats the problem?" it is knowing where to start isn't it when you have several issues.

Thanks, Louisa

Meg
27-12-05, 13:52
Louisa,

Write down a synopsis of where you are now with your issues and the history as in the assessment they will be wanting to get a big picture review of you.

If you have opinions on what treatment you want say them them. Try to make all your points heard and ask every question on your list.

Don't let them put words in your mouth.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

freakedout
27-12-05, 14:51
thanks Meg thats a good idea because I know my mind will go blank while i am there and it will seem a bit surreal.

regards Louisa

Meg
27-12-05, 15:04
Take writing stuff so you can take notes whilst there and maybe take someone with you too so they can explain it from a family/ friend point of view if you think you'r egoing to get tongue tied.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Keitharcher
27-12-05, 20:50
Be honest with your shrink, make sure he knows all your problems look for help from him. he should at last be able to put you in a position where you can take stock of your problems and use what he says to beat the illness. I speak from experience, I went that route and am now coming out of it, in fact the next time i see the doc I will want him to start me coming of the meds. Hes a doctor just like any other, if you had a cold you wouod accept the docs verdict, if your arm was broken you would accept it as well. The shrink is just a doctor the difference is no body can see what ails you. You will be fine.

Keith

nomorepanic
27-12-05, 20:58
He may ask you some questions as well.

This is what I got asked when I went to see a psychiatrist....

Age, Weight, Height, Living arrangements, children, length of time with partner etc, where was I born and where was I brought up.

Family History - Parents & brothers/sisters – alive/dead? age, state of health, history of mental illness, relationship towards them. Childhood upbringing ?

School – did I do well at school, was I liked, many friends? Qualifications I got etc.

Work – how long there, friends at work? what job I did? Am I happy, settled, fulfilled etc

How did I view myself, what was my personality? Was I ever moody, irritable, unhappy, sad.

How was my concentration and memory?

How did my partner view me – what did he think about my current issues.

Medications/Illnesses – What medications I have ever been on, what dose, how long, what illnesses have I suffered from? Any ongoing health concerns. How do I feel in general at the moment?

Food/ Drink – Do I have a good appetite, how much alcohol do I drink

Sleep – is it good, bad, problems waking up or not dropping off?

What changes have happened in my life the past 2 years – issues with work? relationships? deaths in family? any changes that have been significant (e.g new job or losing a job)?

What were my hobbies? What sort of social life did I have?

What history did I have of panic/anxiety/depression? What treatment did I get for it? Did it work? How long did it go on for etc.

What was I currently doing to help overcome my problems?

I hope this list may help you prepare for it.

Nicola

freakedout
27-12-05, 22:07
[^]Thanks so much everyone,

you have all been so helpful, I am already feeling more positive about my appointment, it helps to feel a bit prepared.

The only other thing I wondered is if he will be likely to physically examine me at all, you know check my reflexes and blood pressure type of things?

Thanks again, Louisa

Karen
27-12-05, 22:12
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">The only other thing I wondered is if he will be likely to physically examine me at all, you know check my reflexes and blood pressure type of things?
<div align="right">Originally posted by freakedout - 27 December 2005 : 21:07:42</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
It's not very likely Louisa. The only physical check I had was my weight recorded but that's only because I have an eating disorder.

Hope the appointment goes well for you.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

nomorepanic
28-12-05, 13:12
Louisa

He won't be giving you a physical examination so don't worry about that.

Just go prepared and it will make things a lot easier. Don't forget to jot down any questions you want to ask as well.

Nicola

Yvonne
28-12-05, 21:56
Louisa
Please don't worry about seeing the psych at all. I remember when I was told that I had to see one in respect of my medication and I really freaked out. I thought that's it I've gone totally mad. Actually, it wasn't that at all - it was to discuss my medication and psychiatrists are speciallists on the sort of meds we have to have.

If he/she is a good psychiatrist he should make you feel quite at ease. Do not be frightened - as someone else said they are only doctors. I can assure you he will not have you lying on a couch doing analytical stuff.

Anyway take care.

Yvonne

Y Goble