PDA

View Full Version : Propranolol

eternally optimistic
28-01-10, 12:22
Hi

My daughter has been given propranolol for headaches and i noticed that these are a suggested medication for things like travel assistance etc.

Does anyone use this medication randomly to assist with day to day living or is everyone using this type of stuff, taking it every day.

Ive been on citalopram and that worked great but, I do have situations where everything goes out the window.

ZoJo
28-01-10, 13:41
Hi Jackie,

I was given propranolol for headaches and also for anxiety. I take mine as and when needed. I find that they do do take the edge off if i'm in an anxious situation.

Zoe

Angie_
08-02-10, 02:34
I was prescribed Propranolol for my nerves 15 years ago, as a time-release capsule. I used to manage one or two days without it, but now I have palpitations and feel really sick and heart-achy without it. I've recently had my dose increased and have to take the hard tablets 3 times a day.
Throughout the years I've been taking it I've suffered migraines (which this is supposed to prevent), high blood pressure (being sent for an ECG) - again this medication is supposed to help with this, and have suffered with swollen ankles the whole time. Every time I speak to a GP or get seen at my local walk-in centre because my feet become painful to walk on, the issue of Propranolol always gets brushed aside. These tablets slow down your metabolism and circulation, and to me seem to be an easy way out of addressing the immediate issues of anxiety or 'nerves'.
I would personally proceed with caution if these are prescribed purely as a means of alleviating stress or stress-like symptoms.