PDA

View Full Version : Cancer phobia

MOMINPANIC
28-01-10, 22:31
I think I have always had anxiety issues to some extent or another. I think it has just gotten worse over the years, espcially after my son was born.

I never really thought of myself as having a cancer phobia until a couple months ago when I found a huge lump in my throat. The first doctor I saw, I think thought I was crazy and pretty much told me it was normal, when I knew that wasn't normal for me. I went and saw my PCP about a month later who told me my thyroid gland was swollen, but didn't feel a distinct nodule, so was thinking it was a goiter. I had an ultrasound which did in fact show a large nodule on my thyroid. This is where my cancer phobia all started. I had it biopsied, and it came back benign. During this time my grandpa died, as well as an aunt, neither of cancer, but it still hit hard. My cancer fear subsided somewhat and then my mid back started hurting. I did some online research, which of course the first thing I see is that this could be a sign of metastatic lung or breast cancer. I was afraid to see my doctor about this. I am a medical transcriptionist for the health care company I go through, so I am terrified about coming across a report that shows I have cancer. It is a huge fear of mine! So, I made an appointment with a chiropractor instead, who did x-rays and my back is just kind of messed up from years of computer work.

So, did that put my mind at ease? Oh, only for a day or 2. Years ago I went to the doctor because of lumps in my breast, and they told me I have fibrocystic breasts. It has never really bothered me, but now I have become obsessed with the fact and am convinced that these lumpy breasts are not normal. I made an appointment for a physical tomorrow and am terrified she is going to find something on my breast exam. I have been overly doing my breast exam, especially in the "extra lumpy" part to the point where I have bruised myself; that is how obsessed I am about it. I am terrified she will want to do a mammogram for whatever reason and something will show up on that. I am only 35, BTW. It doesn't help though that there was just something on TV about someone who recently died from breast cancer at the age of 37, and a distant family friend who is 28 was recently diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. I do have a family history in that my paternal grandmother had breast cancer twice, but no history of breast cancer on my mom's side; however, both my mom and grandma (mom's mom) have had a history of breast cysts that have been biopsied. In any case, I am absolutely terrified for my appointment tomorrow. I haven't been able to sleep, have emotionally shut down, and am in a state of panic.

I finally broke down to my husband last night and he is really great and supportive, given the fact that he has had cancer 4 different times - testicular cancer 3 different times and melanoma once. His father is also going through his own battle of colon cancer. I felt bad breaking down in front of him given all he has gone through, but at the same time I think he understands better that way.

It is just nice to find a site where people understand what you're going through. I know that everyone has to die at some point, I think my biggest fear is just dying young when all I want out my life is to watch my little boy grow up with me around, and I'm so afraid that cancer is going to take me away from that. Before my PCP starts any exam tomorrow, I am going to explain to her my anxieties and maybe she can help me in some way. I noticed a couple of people mention CBT therapy (or something like that)? Can someone please explain to me what that is. Thanks for letting me vent, I just hate feeling like this and having this cancer phobia take over my life.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/nmp/misc/progress.gif

Vanilla Sky
28-01-10, 22:42
Hi and welcome to NMP. My anxieties started after my son was born, I think a lot of it is hormonal and it's best to get it sorted as soon as you can , don't let it go on for years like i did, then again i did not know it was anxiety and just suffered it. I think having a baby is the one thing in the world you never want to leave and the thought of death does creep in and gets magnified untill it gets to be an obsession. There is lots of help out there, the fact you have joined this site means you are looking for ways to overcome it and you will beat it , just takes time. You will find it supportive and helpful here and i hope to see you in chat sometime, just wanted to welcome you and say hi :) Love Paige x

MOMINPANIC
28-01-10, 22:50
Thanks for your response, Paige. I have had anxiety issues for much of my life, I think. I know I have had episodes of OCD at times, as well as social anxiety. I have been put on Ativan for the social anxiety, but I don't know how well it has worked. in am sooo anxious about my appt with my doctor tomorrow. I am hoping she will have some good recommendations for me and can put my breast cancer phobia at rest!

jojo2316
29-01-10, 13:54
Hi there. I know what you are going through - I am just the same. Today especially, I feel almost ill with anxiety about my lumpy breasts....... I check them obssessively and am convinced i have breast cancer (despite having had a breast ultrasound and mammogram recently)....... I am 33 and don't know how I am going to get through this....... I want to live to see my children grow up.
CBT stands for cognitive bahavioural therapy...... I am having it at the moment; it attempts to deal with my 'faulty thinking' and my obsessive checking which fuels my anxiety. I believe it is very successful, but since I feel giddy with fear today, I am not so sure!!

jojo2316
29-01-10, 13:58
Oh and - like you - I also give myself horrible bruises on my breasts - i feel them so frequently and so hard......... It's awful!

MOMINPANIC
03-02-10, 22:17
Thanks for all of the suppport. My exam went fine and was relieved, until I started stressing out about other things. Monday, I believe, it was ovarian cancer, even though my doctor did a pelvic exam and felt the ovaries and said everything felt fine; yesterday I was stressing out about my sinuses, and today it is anal cancer. This anxiety has caused me to have frequent loose stools and I know the discomfort is just due to that, but of course I start thinking other things! ARGH! I hate this HA! The doctor prescribed me some anxiety meds, so I am hoping those kick in soon. I have lost 10-15 lbs in the last month or so because of this anxiety, which I guess is good to an extent, but I am just never hungry because of all of the anxiety! I never had this problem until the last couple months. If this fear doesn't go away soon, I'll probably be making an appt with a behavioral therapist or something, because I don't want to live my life like this!