PDA

View Full Version : A bad few days :(

Tomimo
27-12-05, 10:02
I felt ok on chrsitmas eve but slept badly so christmas day was awful. I managed to keep a front on for the kids and the family but inside I was feeling panicky. THe intrusive thoughts were constant and ridiculous - I kept thinking "what if all of this isn't real and I'm the only real thing" and loads of stupid stuff about hurting people, which terrified me. I felt completely mad and worried about Schizophrenia. I have been taking prozac for 2 weeks so I was wondering if that could be the cause for feeling worse??

Yesterday I felt a bit better but occassionally panicked that I might be thinking something awful even when I hadn't remembered thinking it - I bit like paranoia.

Is this normal too??

Annie x

trac67
27-12-05, 12:14
Hi Annie,

Firstly well done for holding it together over christmas.

I took prozac for a month or so and I had the same feelings that you are having now, I described it as being off the planet, in the end I changed my meds, as prozac just didnt seem to suit me at all, maybe speak to your doctor about changing yours if things don't settle down in the next few weeks.

I know with a lot of meds, they do increase our anxiety symptoms before they calm them down.

Try not to think 'what if' all the time, when these thoughts come into your head change them into thoughts of things that you like, or times in the past you have enjoyed, this really does help.

Take care

Trac XX

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Karen
27-12-05, 14:55
Hi Tomimo

Sorry you are having a rough time at present. Well done for getting through Christmas Day in spite of this.

The worrying thoughts are just that - thoughts and you are not going crazy and it is not schizophrenia.

Avoid going down the 'what if' route and aim to rationalise and challenge the negative thoughts. Perhaps you could find something that requires your entire attention to distract yourself from the thoughts. Concentrating on worrying thoughts makes it worse.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Tomimo
28-12-05, 16:48
Thanks for the replies.

I made it through Christmas so I guess that's something.

Annie x

kimmy
28-12-05, 17:13
hello tomimo
well done for actually getting on with christmas, you did an excellent thing and didnt just hide yourself away. i know you had the intrusive thoughts but you carried on!!! you should be proud of yourself.

I had the exactly the same thoughts, am i going mad, was i schizophrenic etc would i hurt my kids. PETREFIYING.
I never have or will, there just thoughts thats all, thoughts dont hurt.

Id say you are doing all you can, just keep on doing what you are.
The tablets may make you feel a bit worse, they do take a while to kick-in though. I found i was so worried about what side effects i may have it made me worse. Were you worried about anyside effects? worrying about them effecting you over christmas maybe. I dont know, Im not a doctor but ive been there hun and its no fun i know but you can do it!!! i know you can.

Kim

"to change your world is to change your thoughts"

feel free to pm me anytime..................GOODLUCK[8)]

freakedout
28-12-05, 23:08
Hi Annie,

Isn't it all very wierd, the power of the mind??

I have experienced long spells of being afraid of myself - well actually afraid of my thoughts. Like you there have been the ones about the children - but I have never harmed them. Then paranoid thoughts and being very wrapped up in my own feelings and thoughts that everything else does seem surreal, an almost detached feeling, or I describe it as feeling 'switched off'.

Give your medication time to work, it can take a few weeks to feel the therapeutic effects of it, before then you may be more aware of the side-effects - which you will most likely tolerate better as time goes on.

I like you went through the motions on christmas day for the sake of the kids and the family, it is not easy and sometimes you just wish you could paint a smile on your face because it can seem all a bit false can't it.

Just take one day at a time, hang on in there, you are definately not the only one who sometimes feels completely mad!! You may want to ignore what I have to say because I am 'mad' !!!!!

Keep in touch by PM if you want - no pressure.

Take it easy, Take care, Bye

Louisa