PDA

View Full Version : Swollen Lymph nodes

lisamarie32
29-01-10, 16:20
Hello :),
so here it goes...... Ive been worring myself sick over this breaking down and crying etc

Around the 13th of dec i went to a walkin clinic ,i had been feeling tired alot but had a sore throat that came and went at times it felt really sore and other times it was mild i also had a cough (but put that down to being a smoker. yes i know how bad it is for my health and have been trying hard to quit)and thought i should do something about it before christmas came. I seen a nurse practitioner who said my throat looked abit red listened to my chest im also sure she checked my lymph nodes and they at this point were not swollen and sent me on my way with run of the mill antibiotics....finshed the course and still had a cough, i just carried on with everyday life and never thought much more about it still having the on/off sore throat.

The 24th dec came christmas eve and i thought maybe i should go back and see a doctor incase it got any worse and would not be able to see a doctor over the xmas hoildays seen another nurse who told me it was viral my lymph nodes on right hand side were swollen (at this time im sure they were sore) and its was my bodies way of fighting a infection and to take pain relief every four hours and i should be feeling fine in no time so off i go feeling reassured.

19th january, node still swollen about 2cm so go back the the doctors just to check still having mild sore throat on/off .Im told it feels normal and maybe just needs time to settle it does not hurt at this point (It doesnt feel normal to me feels hardish like a grape n kinda fixed can feel it more when i tilt my chin up the doc never felt it this way) Bloods are taken and im told there slightly abnormal but doctor is happy with them when telephoning to find out result a couple of days later. well im not happy so i make a appt to seen a diffrent doctor a few days later.

22nd jan, so i make a appt with a diffrent doctor and explain how worried i am im told im right not to just leave it and orders more bloods this time testing for the EBV ( glaundular fever) results come back fine no EBV i make another appt with a GP.

25th jan. back to the doctors.im asked have your nodes gone down? erm Nope ..im told that she would happy to wait a few weeks but as im worried i would be referred to a ENT surgeon not to panic as she thought they felt normal and that i wouldnt have to wait to long.

27th jan .phone call informing me a appt had been made for the following monday 1st of feb to see ENT. since then i have been stressing big time im so scared of it turning out to be cancer i dont think im strong enough to cope. its on my mind 24/7 the internet and google:doh: i realize does not help.

I must admit ive felt, poked, prodded this node lots ive made it ache infact. im trying to keep my hands off the damn thing!. Im sure this wont be helping matters? it also seems to harden and become softer at times.

Help:blush:

RLR
29-01-10, 18:15
Okay, you need to realize that lymphatic nodes do not function like a balloon. Their ability to restrict and envelop a foreign body invasion either bacterial or viral in nature is based on the ability by Lympatic Tissue to undergo hypertrophy. In other words, the celluar structure which makes up the lymph nodes actually increases in size and fills with lymphatic fluids containing massive amounts of white blood cells which attack the pathogens and restrict them from circulating further.

Once the pathogen is overcome, it can sometimes take many weeks for these tissues to return to normal because the lymphatic system has to circulate these concentrated areas until the tissues become less diffused. This delay is due to the fact that the lymphatic system does not have a pump such as the heart in order to circulate but uses proximal muscle action to induce lymphatic circulation.

The key to reducing your fears is to be aware that diseases like Hodgkin's Lymphoma affect lymph tissues throughout the body and not in a specific location. The lymph system is a network of tissues that are unavoidably connected. Hence, trouble of this type in one area is evidenced throughout the lymphatic system.

I'd take a breath and relax. I'd also stop palpating and irritating the tissues at the node itself.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

lisamarie32
29-01-10, 19:08
HI Rutheford,
Thank You so much for taking the time to reply:).
I only found this forum today and its really helped. your reply and other members similar worries have made me feel alot calmer and relaxed for today at least lol:blush:

I only have one lymph node i can feel its on the right side of my neck and about as big as a grape

lisa