PDA

View Full Version : Mobile lump in side of neck

lilypippin
30-01-10, 00:22
Hi everyone,

I guess I'm looking for reassurance here...I was watching celeb big brother tonight (sad I know, but it's a bit of escapism), and was leaning on my right hand when I found a lump, a bit bigger than the size of a pea, though it's very hard to be objective in these sort of situations, in the side of my neck.
The lump is on the right hand side of my neck, a couple of inches from the bottom of the neck and is incredibly mobile/moves around a lot. Is this a lymph node? If it is, it's way bigger than anything else around it. My rational head says mobile is good, rather than fixed (going by my experience of breast lumps), but my HA head says lymphoma etc. Please can someone give some advice/insight?
Thanks!
Jo xxx

nomorepanic
30-01-10, 00:25
I have had one for about 12 years and still there and harnless

lilypippin
30-01-10, 00:29
Thanks for replying.
When you say it's harmless, do you mean it was checked and found to be harmless? I wondered if it might be a cyst?

J x

Dying_Swan
30-01-10, 00:38
Hi Lily.

I think mobile is usually a good sign. I went through this recently and was really scared. I ended up having scans and a biopsy and was convinced it was Lymphoma - it was just a swollen lymph node. The surgeon said something as simple as a tiny scratch can cause nodes in the neck to swell, and they can take ages to return to normal size...some never do.

I'd get the GP to have a look just to be certain but I am sure it will be fine.

rebeccad
30-01-10, 16:16
i have also had one for about 14 years or at least thats how long ive known about it, mine also moves and its absolutely fine. xx

Cico
30-01-10, 20:56
Yes sounds like a lymph node but if it doesn't shrink, I'd go to the dr just to have it checked :)

I have two that I can feel constantly, both are about the size of a pea. I've had them checked twice and both times the dr says they are normal.

If they get bigger, it's usually because they are fighting an infection and usually they will return to a normal size.

Also, I thought i'd add, my dr told me that if you poke and prod at them, that can result in them taking longer to return to a normal size so try to refrain from doing that - although i know it's easier said than done :p

lilypippin
30-01-10, 22:04
Thanks everyone, you have put my mind at rest a bit. I've now checked my whole neck, both sides and have found an even bigger one on the same side and a smaller one on the opposite side. All seem pretty mobile. I'm also recovering from a cough/cold so perhaps that doesn't help...

xx

BabyRachel
30-01-10, 22:19
Im the same as Nicola, Ive had one on my neck since I was like 7 years old, feels a bit like a bubble trapped in your neck! I was told its some muscle thing - perfectly harmless. xx