PDA

View Full Version : Numbness in head

Jules31
04-02-04, 13:51
I'm really trying to convince myself that all I have is anxiety but I seem to be fighting a losing battle as I have had a barrage of new symptoms over the last few weeks. I've already posted about some of them, the burning sensations in my head and body etc but here are the new ones.

I get a sudden feeling come over me like my brain freezes and I feel like I'm going to lose consciousness. It's not really like a passing out feeling but more that I'm being pulled away from reality. I know it sounds daft but everytime it comes on I think I'm going to drop dead. I then start to feel like I don't know where I am, ie not in the real world. Guess it could be derealisation but it lasts for hours sometimes and I have never felt like it before even though I have had had derealisation Before

Other times my head will go really tight instantaneously and I will start to feel faint and feel immensely hot. I thought it was all in my mind but then someone just touched my hand and asked me if I was ok because I was burning up. The heat floods through my whole body and sometimes causes sweating. It can last for up to I guess half an hour and leaves me feeling drained

This morning I suddenly felt like I was stopping breathing, my body froze and it was like my body was shutting down, then I got a numbness in the left side of my head which spread into the left side of my face. I could feel my face if I touched it and move it but it felt like it had been anaethetized (sp) . The whole of one side of my head felt like it This lasted for about two and a half hours. I also started to feel dizzy and giddy and got some shooting pains in my head. My mouth also started burning slightly and I felt very warm. Eventually it left me with a tension headache, though I've just felt the start of it coming on again.

I'm so sick of all of this. I can't see they are really panic attacks because they don't take the usual format and last for so long but they really do terrify my.

I've also been getting immense pressure headaches where it feels like my brain is being squeezed or will burst.

How can this all have hit me so suddenly. I'm getting the surges all day on and off and just feel dreadful in between, weak, off balance etc.

My GP is on leave for three weeks and I don't really want to see another. Have any of you ever had these symptoms.

I'm trying to get my life on track again but am struggling because I'm just so scared all of the time

My head has just gone really tight and feels like it is burning under the scalp on one side.

I'm waiting to start a CBT course and am thinking of going for hpnotherapy too, but just need some reassurance again until I can get myself going. I've tried distracting myself when I get the feelings and doing positive self talk but it just seems that no matter what I do the feelings don't ease.

Hope you are all ok

Jules

sarah
04-02-04, 14:38
Hiya Jules

Im going through the feel faint everytime I move my head and bad headaches thing at the moment as well as heart skipping beats so I know what you mean.
Its really bizarre the way this panic presents itself differently and seems to come in 'phases' where one week its tight chest, next its dizzy and headaches, then its sheer panic, then heart skipping beats and so it goes on.
I do think that you sound to me like it is panic/anxiety, and believe me I have my doubts too whether it really is or im really sick with some awful disease.
Maybe when your GP gets back you should go just for a peace of mind check up so he/she can test your blood pressure etc to put your mind at ease.
I went for my 1st hypnotherapy appointment last night and am writing how it went on another post.

hopw this reasures you a bit.
I know how weird all these different sympoms seem but I do think its anxiety.

Love Sarah
xx

Jules31
04-02-04, 15:08
thanks Sarah

This really does stink. Can't wait to hear how your hypnotherapy went.

Had my blood pressure checked last week and it was quite high, dr said anxiety but now all these new feelings. Don't know how I will get through the two weeks until he is back

Jules

kate
04-02-04, 15:51
Hiya Jules,

I have also experience all the symptoms you have mentioned, at one time or another.

The depersonalisation thing that you describe I suffer with constantly too.

It IS all due to anxiety, Jules, and although I used to worry about all the symptoms too, I now accept that they are all due to the anxiety playing tricks on you.

Keep smiling

Kate x

red
04-02-04, 16:02
Hi Jules

Sorry to hear that you are feeling bad. It really is a bummer isn't it, when all we want to do is get on wih things!

Most of what you have described is 'normal' for anxiety even though it does feel really bad. If you notice, the sensations that you are feeling move from one place to the next - it's as though when you learn not to worry about one sensation - hey presto, another pops up and tries you with that!

I am being treated with medication for high blood pressure but when I go to the docs it shoots up another 20 or so. I see that as 'white coat' syndrome where, in my case, fear being ill or the doc finding something wrong with me. High blood pressure will not show symptoms, so what you feel could not be that anyway, especially if your doctor just said it was high and didn't take it any further - so you don't have to worry about that. It is more likely to be adrenaline that is causing your feelings, and that can't hurt you.

Hard as it might seem - relax some more, even if you feel that you can't, you will get some relief just attempting it, I promise. Relaxation, a bit of exercise and distraction, even if in very small doses all help as blase as that seems. Have a go.

You will feel better soon - take care.

Red
x

Jules31
04-02-04, 16:22
I'm not too worried about the blood pressure but know it will have to come down at some point. I keep trying to relax but everytime I do another symptom hits me, this afternoon my head is immensely tight and I keep thinking that I will pass out.

Will try the exercise when I can pluck up the courage all I can do at the moment is walk the dog. Just wish I could stop being so scared. Wouldn't mind if it was one new symptoms but so many really bother me

Jules

paul
04-02-04, 17:45
hello everyone,i can totally relate to what your saying.the symptoms always vary dont they?i sometimes get that head thing jules ,the shooting pain,at first i thought it was something else,but it seems to be anxiety.and the tension and chest pains,and dizziness,its down to anxiety,unpleasant as it is.ive had this problem for a while now and its true,it tests you now and again and you question the symptom.

Meg
04-02-04, 18:19
Jules ,

I'm so sorry to hear you're still really suffering. Seeing a hypnotherapist may help and as we've spoken about previously a massage will release lots of tension as I'm sure you're holding in so much over a long time. Then you might get some relief and find some strength to tackle the rest. This has been so exhausting on all fronts for you as its been so long now..

But you still haven't fainted, you still haven't been sick and you're still functioning.

Everything you mentions are anxiety/panic symptoms - if on the extreme end of them.

I can so understand that you're very scared , that'd be normal for all of us I think. If it's not possible to shift it alone as it's too extreme and has been so long now without a chink of being fine maybe it is time to get some help in the form of therapies such as massage, kiniesiology and hypnotherapy along with home relaxation, some exercise and usual healthy lifestyle.

How are work being ?

Are you managing to keep up with the relaxation CD's etc.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Jules31
05-02-04, 09:35
Hi Meg

Had a massage last week and have been told I should have them every six weeks for them to be beneficial. Apparently my back and shoulders were really knotted but it doesn't seem to have helped me much so far

I'm going to ring the hypnotherapist today too

Work is just work, because no one has a clue what I'm going through as I'm keeping it to myself. I have no idea how I'm getting through each day and from next week I have to start working in the Crown Court, so don't know what I will do.

I'm even waking up in the night feeling like my body is shutting down and as though I can't breathe, not hyperventilating, just that there isn't enough air getting to me.

I've just got into work and already I can feel my shoulders burning, my head is so tight and I feel like I will collapse at any minute.

To be honest I was so terrified on Sat that I took myself to A and E, the drs very nearly admitted me because my skin was on fire when I got there and I felt so faint. I was so scared because I was alone. (Ithought I was being brave) But when the dr heard about my anxiety past he just said that's all it was again.

I haven't really been doing the relaxation cds much because I have been feeling so rotten. I know that's illogical because now is the time that I should be doing them the most. I'm just so at my wit's end

Have to go to court now. Thank you for all being there. I know what I have to do but sometimes just need it drilling into me.

Jules

Lottie32
05-02-04, 11:15
Jules

As hard as it may seem, you really do need to stop worrying and accept that anxiety can give you three hundred million different symptoms every hour.

We have all been there.

When I was getting anxious before Xmas, I would sit at the kitchen table, and didn't dare move, cos I felt so strange, and I felt if I moved, something "bad" would happen. Several weekends in a row, I sat there immovable for several hours at a time. I didn't have the courage to move.

Like you can't listen to your relaxation tapes, I couldn't do my breathing exercises, cos I really had convinced myself that if I did any sort of abdominal breathing I would hurl.

So please believe me when I say that I DO know what you are going through, and also that the feelings WILL receed and go.

Try to do as many things to improve yourself as you can - exercise (even if it is only with the dog), diet, supplements, breathing, relaxation. And above all, focus on the POSITIVE. You feel absolutely terrible - BUT you are still managing to go to work.

So many people simply would not be able to do that if their life depended on it! You are very brave, and should give yourself a pat on the back for coping as well as you are (even if you don't think you are at the moment). Hang on in there Jules, things really will improve.

Are you doing any CBT? Or taking any medication? I can't remember. If not, try and get an appointment for some CBT. It really has made a difference to me.

Charlie

Meg
05-02-04, 15:01
Dear Jules ,

The thought of crown court can not be helping at all

It will take at least 3 sessions of 1 and 1/2 massage to get any effect with you as you're soo tense and have months of historical stuff to knead through.. Please keep at it. I know it's hard as you're desperate to find a solution but, just for once, keep consistent about your choice of treatments.

Ruth is absolutely excellent at deep stress massage and will do Reiki as well.

I can come over and go through all the reasons why bodies don't ever just shut down if you want and do the science logical bit but you know all the head zaps are anxiety- there are several people here who have had all of this.

It is extremely scary but you NEED to take comfort from the fact that you haven't fallen over, you still have motor coordination and can see, so your CNS isn't really shot to bits !

You know what you should be doing so it is your choice. If you need company, some help or a chivvy along and Daves not around you can ring me.

Hope today is Ok and then you're off tomorrow right ? I'll probably whip up to Manchester in the morning but can come over when I'm back if you'd like.

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Jules31
09-02-04, 11:16
I just wanted to say thank you for all of your replies. This weekend has probably been the worst that I have ever had. I have tried to be positive but have still been so afraid of the way I feel. I've confided in someone at work because they say me having a panic attack on Thursday. She has promised to try and make me be positive even when I'm struggling. Hopefully I will eventually accept that all of these symptoms are anxiety. I have tried a tranquillizer on a couple of occasions and this has been no help whatsoever, so I suppose I shouldn't bother with them. I just get concerned as to why they don't work if all this is, is anxiety.

I've got an appointment for CBT on 19/2 and am looking into hypnotherapy

Meg someone told me that Dr McGee in Donnington does hypnotherapy. Do you know anything about him. I'm waiting for the practice to get back to me to see if he sees patients privately and/or deals with people with anxiety.
Hope you are all well. No doubt I will be back again soon

Hugs
Jules

Jules31
09-02-04, 14:22
Just had another attack which has scared me silly.

Was sitting at my desk, when the front of my head went really tight, then over the top and part of the sides. It felt like my head was in vice, the the inside of my head started burning and I mean really burning like it was on fire. I got the burning in my mouth and started to feel really hot, faint and hot balance. The feelings last for nearly an hour and a half. Isn't this too long for a panic attack. I'm really worried about the burning feelings and pain in my head. Does anyone else get it. I always think something horrible is happening to me. I tried being positive with myself again but it was useless. Took another tranquillizer and even that didn't help. Have promised myself I won't take anymore, Have to beat it alone, just have never felt so bad in the last two years as I do now

Jules

Lottie32
09-02-04, 14:31
Jules

That is excellent news - Only just over a week away for an appointment. Please try and stay strong till then, and think positive thoughts (obviously I realise that you will find this nearly impossible, but even thinking about having positive thoughts is a start!)

I can't tell you how bad I felt over Xmas. I really and truly had decided that I was suffering from some really horrible disease/diseases, cos I couldn't get myself under control no matter what I tried.

After 10 days, it started to clear, and I was able to step back and see how anxious I;d become. It really is truly terrible though. Have you looked at Stimpys flash cards (think they are in misc) They are very good for bringing you down to earth.

Please don't give up. One day very soon, everything will just click into place, and the symptoms will start to abate. Honestly. The CBT really will help, and you should give the hypnotherapy a try too.

I spent over sixth months feeling exactly like you do. My mind had total control over my body, and I barely managed to go to work and back each day. Anything else was impossible.

Look at the bright side at all times - you may be panicking at work - but at least you are managing to get there, and having given in to it completely, lying in your bed in a slough of despond.

Please stick with it Jules, we are all with you, and can sympathise with exactly how you feel.

You take good care of yourself

Charlie

Charlie

Jules31
09-02-04, 15:04
thanks Charlie

I've had coming two years of this mess. I had got it down to just dizziness and feeling faint for a long time but now all this and it's so different to anything I have ever experienced.

Hope the CBT works this time, it didn't last

Have nearly walked out of work several times today, was in tears on the way here too and will no doubt be again tomorrow.

I FEEL AWFUL, so weak and faint. Just want to escape from this thing for a while. I can't even when I sleep, because I wake up feeling like I'm fainting in my sleep or having nightmares.

Will look at the flash cards
Jules

Lottie32
09-02-04, 15:24
Jules

Please hang on in there. I've done three years like this. It's only these last nine months or so where I feel normal, with patches of intense anxiety, so I REALLY DO know where you are coming from.

Like you, I just couldn't believe that I would ever feel ok again. Depersonilisation is an acute feeling on its own, without all the other horrible symptoms on top! At Xmas I thought I just couldn't carry on, despite having been much better for the summer and autumn months.

Try as many things as you can until you find one that works for you. (But make sure you give them a good chance first). Do you take beta blockers? Have they helped?

When I am bad, my tummy plays up then I have alsorts of negative thoughts about how bad it will get - which is particularly worrying if I have to go somewhere too. I try not to think about it now, cos if I worry I "make" it worse. This is fine most of the time, but when I am feeling like you are now, it's really difficult to do.

My CBT counsellor is looking at postitive thinking with me next (next session in a fortnight) and I am going to work on this, cos I'm sure it will make the difference.

You are very brave, stay fighting, you will beat it (if I can, anybody can, believe me, I'm the most useless person out, particularly when it comes to self pity)

Remember - nearly walked out isn't the same as walking out. And you made it there in the first place. Focus on these positive thoughts. If you were home alone, you would probably make yourself feel even worse, as you would have nothing to take your mind off it. Have you thought about visiting the doctor for some help with sleeping? The less sleep I have, the worse I feel. The worse I feel, the more anxious I get. The more anxious I get I wake up feeling anxious, spend the day feeling anxious, go to bed feeling anxious and wake up in the middle of the night feeling anxious. Feeling anxious on it's own is tiring enough without sleeping problems too. Hypnotic sleep tapes, milk, breathing etc. can all be used, as well as medication. It might be worth mentioning it to him.

Take care

Charlie

Jules31
09-02-04, 15:51
already taking beta blockers but they don't seem to help

Am trying hot milk at night too. Hate taking tranquillizers and don't want to become dependent on them to help me sleep now. But it was a good idea.

Charlie you sound very brave far more than I am. Even as I type this my head is hurting and I feel dizzy and weak.

Thank you for listening to me ramble on. I feel like i'm on the verge of going mad
Jules

sarah
09-02-04, 16:03
Hey Jules

Ramble all you want mate, thats what we are here for. You can see by the number of posts ive made just how much I ramble on so dont worry about it!!!!

love Sarah
xx

Meg
09-02-04, 22:03
HI Jules ,
Yes, he does do hypnotherapy but hešs not the most sympathetic of chaps.
Išll have an ask round when I get back
Glad that youšve got an ally at work now.

Take care. Charlie has said it all really as well as you knowing it deep down .~~

Patience , proactivity and positivity.

Meg

Lottie32
10-02-04, 09:06
Morning Jules

Hope you are feeling better today.

I am really NOT brave. Infact I'm the most pathetic person out. Life scares the s**t out of me. When my symptoms peak, they make me want to put my head in the oven (only its electric, so I think I'd just end up with a tan).

HOWEVER, I just keep remembering how I USED to feel, when life wasn't a challenge, and when I ENJOYED living.

I want that life back.

If I give in to my feelings and don't even try to function normally (and by this I mean going to work, meeting my friends in the pub at the weekend, normal stuff, nothing exciting - I don't even dare go to the pictures) then I know I will go under.

So my plan is to continue to exist as I am, keep on with the CBT, and (very slowly) reclaim my life back.

Cos I'm nearly half way through it, and I don't want to spend the second half as I've spent the first!

I AM GRADUALLY starting to feel better. I remember three years ago when all this started up again. I went to York for a long weekend with my boyfriend and another couple. Over the whole weekend I felt so sick, I ate four slices of toast, two apples, one chicken breast and a jacket potato. I drank only water. I felt constantly nauseous. I was so embarrassed cos I had to keep finding a loo - at least eight times a day. My friends were very sympathetic, but I got so down - it wasn't really a holiday, more a weekend of torture. My BF and I went in my car, and I had to keep stopping on the way back, cos I was sure I was going to hurl. (I didn't). The fact that he was a dyslexic half wit who couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag didn't help - and his map reading skills weren't up to much either! So I had to navigate, map read, drive and fight back a tide of nausea all the way home!

Shortly after that I decided that life was for living, and I went to the doctors and demanded he did something! He put me down for CBT, but due to the waiting lists, I have only just started! In the mean time, I have read two very good self help books, changed my life style, discovered this web site, and accepted that I am mad, but can learn to deal with it!

Please believe me Jules, you just need to hang on for a bit longer, and believe that the horrible things that happen to you really are the product of anxiety.

It doesn't last forever. I am not brave, I didn't suddenly come back fighting, I just willed it not to get any worse!!!! I still feel terrible now, but I look back at my whole York experience and realise that I HAVE come a long way.

You CAN do it, and we are here to help you. Just concentrate on one day at a time. Don't think to tomorrow, and only let yourself remind you of the POSITIVE things that have happened - yesterday you were in tears in the car, and wanted to leave work several times. BUT YOU DIDN'T. You are very brave too - you just can't see the wood for the trees!

Try to do as many things as you can to self help - diet, supplements, exercise. It makes me feel better to know that I am being proactive.

I hope you have a better day today. You fought yesterday and WON!

Love

Charlie

Jules31
10-02-04, 17:17
Charlie, Meg thanks

Everything got the better of me today and I stayed home in bed until 3.15.

I'm really scared of my symptoms, Meg please reassure me, they're so different to normal.

They start off within seconds with immense pressure in my head, round the sides, sort of just to the front of my ears, not my temples, over the top and sometimes in my face. It feels like my head is really being squeezed in metal, then I usually feel faint, or got a hot flush and burning in my mouth and through my head. It feels like acid. I've never felt so bad, last night I just cried myself to sleep and was sure that I would never wake up.

Locum dr gave me tranqs but they do nothing, 2mg diazepam. He also said I looked fine and told me not to go back unless things change. I feel dreadful and am so scared, my head is so tight as I type this, it's not like a usual tension headache but do you still think it is just more severe?

I've never had so many attacks each day, usually it was one every few weeks or at the most a couple a week when it first started. I wasn't stressed so why has this all hit me.

Think I will give dr McGee a miss, can't cope with anyone else who will give me the cold shoulder

Hugs to all of you

Jules

Meg
10-02-04, 22:04
Jules , yet another day has gone by though when you did wake up and are still ok.
I really feel you are still not accepting that anxiety can cause all this and so are still really believeing that you have some dreaded lurgy. Whilst that is your belief, it will be so hard to get better. You used to have dizziness , haven't heard about that for a while and that was the worst for you then but you still haven't fainted or anything...

As you have had the all clear from the docs- several time we have to go with anxiety and you have to start back learning to relax and learning that you are safe and OK. Do anadin extra touch them .

People often describe them as headband headaches..in a metal vice.

Meg

Lottie32
11-02-04, 09:01
Dear Jules

So sorry you had a bad day yesterday. DO NOT WORRY. I felt so ill over Xmas, I really thought that I had developed a serious illness. I was ready to throw the towel in, and give up.

However, like Meg said, as ill as I thought I still kept waking up the next day! And survived it! And then woke up the day after that! Eventually, it got the 5th Jan and I could return to work, and try and function again.

Things didn't quite go according to plan though, and during the last month I have been diagnosed with clinical depression, and have just started a course of anti-depressants. I got my friend to read the Stop Taking if you Suffer any of the Following section, and haven't read any of the symptoms, cos I know I will imagine I will get them.

Buy some antacids. Burning in the gullet/mouth etc, is a sign of acid. Acid is produced by the body in times of anxiety to help food digest quicker, so you can run away better. Gaviscon or something similar will relieve the symptoms, and the liquid is reasonably palatable.

What are you taking for your headaches. I used to suffer with terrible menstrual cramps, and had to try many different pain killers until I found one that worked.

Please try to take some positive fighting action. I accept that your headache is real, and is very painful, but if you are in bed, it gives you plenty of time to think about how poorly you feel. I find fresh air improves any headaches I may have, and I try to get outside if I'm suffering. Do you have a garden? If so, try to do a few light gardening tasks outside in the fresh air. It might make you feel better, and take your mind off it a bit. I suffer with my sinuses, and I cannot cope with the central heating - and I get that whole head in a vice headache, which is incredibly painful.

How are you feeling today? I hope the headache is clearing?

Love

Charlie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Jules31
11-02-04, 10:50
Well I'm back in the office today,so at least that's a positive step.

Meg I know you're right that I have to accept this, it's just that the bloody feelings are so different and so frequent. So far this morning, I've got a headache, legs feel weak, had a hot sweat and felt like I couldn't breathe. I don't think it helps because I haven't been able to see my gp who I have a lot of faith in.

By the way the dizziness is still there just has to fight for attention with all the other things going on. I'm going up and down right now.

Nothing at all touches the headaches, so I don't take anything

Charlie the burning in my mouth definitely isn't acid from my stomach it's just a sensation that I get that shoots through my head.

I'm sorry if I appear not to be taking any of your advice but I really am, just finding it so damn hard and scarey

Jules

Lottie32
11-02-04, 11:05
Jules

Do not apologise. Not being in control of your body is one of the most scarey sensations you can have!

But well done for making it out of bed, and getting back to work today. You are obviously a strong person, and a fighter, and I have every confidence that you will soon overcome this.

The reason that I believed over Xmas that I was suffering from a "real" illness, was that my symptoms were totally different to those that I was used to. I had convinced myself that I had diabeties. I was thirsty all the time, weeing a lot, and had just about every other classic sign. I had promised myself to book into the docs just as soon as the new year holiday had finished. Then when I got back to work and the surgery was open again, I suddenly felt much better. So it obviously wasn't diabeties after all!

Having had a father who died of stomach cancer, which had spread to his lymphatic system/liver and a gran who died of ovarian cancer, which had spread to her bowel, and discovering that you are more likely to develop some of these cancers if a close family member has had the disease, you can imagine the symptoms that I have had. When I was at my most anxious, my anxiety would replicate as many of these symptoms as it could.

Anxiety is a hugely terrifying thing. It gives terribly frightening symptoms. But YOU CAN and WILL overcome it.

Have faith and hang on in there Jules.

I hope you feel better soon.

Love

Charlie

Jules31
11-02-04, 14:10
I'm wondering if I've had a lightbulb moment. I've been pondering as to how I got myself in this state but more as to why I can't get myself out of it, ie, can't accept it's anxiety and why I'm so scared. Obviously the symptoms are horrible but I think some of it may be to do with the death of my father five years ago. His loss and the cirumstances in themselves were horrific, but what made matters worse was that intially he was diagnosed by his GP as having pnuemonia, when he actually had lung cancer, which had spread to his liver. I know that even by this time that there was probably very little that could have been done for him even with the correct diagnosis. But it was such a relief to hear that he only had pnuemonia. So you can imagine the shock only a couple of weeks later when the correct diagnosis was made. This was done on the friday and he died unexpectedly the following wednesday.

I'm not sure what the relevance of this is, maybe my mistrust of drs or my now natural ability to look on the dark side of everything. Talking things through with people over the last couple of years has helped but I'm sure that this is part of what led to my anxiety. Any one else have a take on things or what I should do from here on, other than what has been suggested

I'm not sure that I shoudld have posted about this but it was just something that I suddenly felt I had to say

Jules

benoo5
11-02-04, 15:47
hi jules,

youve had really great support,and advice on here,there seems little left for me to say.

you say you have beta blockers,and tranx...do you take them on a regular basis?...or just occasionally!

i notice you mentioned your blood pressure was high...this really needs to be looked at,and brought down to as near normal as possible...can you say which beta blockers you have,and what strength!

deep down inside jules,you know this is all due to anxiety..the hard part is accepting the terrible symptoms...if i was a school teacher,i would say..write out a hundred times THIS IS ANXIETY,and then i would say read it over and over again...read it in the morning..read it at work..in fact read it all day and everyday,until one day,it will sink in!

we will have to get you on our LITTLE STEPS programme,youve had these feelings too long now,it will take some doing,to change your thought processes..but you will do it,start now,as soon as you read this..say out aloud THIS IS ANXIETY...keep saying it..every time the head starts,you start back at it,and say those three words..AND MEAN IT!!

best wishes ..bryan.

Jules31
11-02-04, 16:08
Hi Bryan

I've just said the words but couldn't do it out loud as I'm in the middle of the office.

At the moment I'm taking propranolol, 40 mg three times a day though I sometimes forgot the middle dose, like today when I'm at work. My GP has said I could experiment with the dosage though. I do take the others everyday. That said I saw a locum dr and he gave me half-inderal (80mg) to start taking when the propranolol runs out. Just because it's easier to take one tablet a day.

I only take tranquillizers now and again and to be honest I find that diazepam does absolutely nothing for me. I have had oxazepam, 10 mg in the past and that helped a little. I don't want to become reliant on tranqs anyway but could do with a bit of help now as things are so tough.

I'm concerned about my blood pressure but my dr isn't. He says that it fluctuates. He can take it three times whilst I'm with him and gradually the reading will start to come down. He says it's nothing to worry about because I have had normal readings, but I don't think it's been normal for quite a while

Jules

benoo5
11-02-04, 17:16
hi jules,

blood pressure can fluctuate,according to how relaxed,or stressed we are..if your doctor is happy,then dont worry about it.

there are a lot of people on here,who have had a bad time with accepting there symptoms,as being stress related,but by working hard at positive thinking,most of them are improving fast..if they can do it..so can you..negative is WHAT IF..positive is SO WHAT.

i really think,if you can take a little while out,in the evenings,just to lay on the bed,and practice breathing exercises,you will feel the benefit,in just a week or two.

best wishes..bryan.

panic140671
11-02-04, 17:58
Hi Jules,

I can so relate to you at the moment. I have been having these strange feelings in my head. I get the intense pressure feelings, knots in the back of my neck and tension across my shoulders. It doesnt help that my shoulders are up at my ears all day! I also get a strange feeling in my head as though the muscles are moving about on my scalp. It doesnt happen all the time, but when it does it scares the s*** out of me. I also get a strange feeling in my jaw and gums. Sometimes I feel like I am going mad!!!

I find that when these feelings come on, that I tense up even more and hold my breath. This makes it even worse, but I find it hard to relax and breathe. I am convince I am going to just drop down dead at any minute. I hate these feelings.

If I can help you at any time, let me know.

panic140671
11-02-04, 18:05
PS Where do I find the Flash cards that were mentioned earlier???

Thanks

Meg
11-02-04, 21:10
Hi Jules ,

I think you have a very valid point about your Dads misdiagnosis. Does it cross your mind much about his illness , I know you often think you have something awful .
So lightbulb moment one , may you have plenty more !

Panic140671
Please go and get yourself a set of 3 good massages, preferably not 1/2 hour from a shop and that will do you an enormous amount of good.

Meg

Lottie32
12-02-04, 09:29
FLASH CARDS ARE IN Top Tips, AND THE TITLE IS Please feel free to borrow my cards.

Jules, that is terrible about your father. Of course, knowing the correct diagnosis would not have saved him, however, it would have prevented such a terrific shock. My dad was diagnosed with cancer, and within six weeks we had buried him, so I do know what you mean.

I'm sure that this is quite likely the underlying reason behind you not accepting the diagnosis of anxiety, and quite rightly so, and also why you feel happier when you can discuss things with your doctor, who you now trust.

How are you feeling today? I hope you're feeling a bit better after your light bulb moment.

Take care

Charlie

Jules31
12-02-04, 10:48
Meg, don't think about Dad's illness to much now because I've come to terms with it I think. Though for the first few years it was a problem. I just couldn't deal with not being in control of the situation. Suppose I'll never forget it though and it does cross my mind every so often or more the memories of him. Plus his death was so horrific (I won't go into the details other than to say it was very unexpected and he was in my arms). At the time I had no one to talk to about it and just soldiered on and then went to bits.

However on a brighter note, I've just got a cancellation appointment with my new cbt therapist TONIGHT. She may or may not be able to help bearing in mind I've done it before but for some reason it just didn't click with me. But I'm willing to try really hard this time and hopefully she will be able to provide a bit more of a structured approach

I'm going to print off the flash cards because I hadn't been able to find them before.

I'm still feeling **** but am fighting off an attack and have been telling myself, Bryan, that it's just anxiety, all morning.

I even went swimming last night too, though nearly had a full blown panic attack once I got there.

Thank you for all of the suppport

Hugs
Jules

Lottie32
12-02-04, 15:14
Well done Jules for going swimming despite your panic.

By continually facing up and fighting your anxieties, you will overcome them (I promise).

I hope that the CBT session goes well tomorrow, hopefully you will find you get on with the therapist and can continue to make progress

Take care

Charlie

Meg
12-02-04, 16:09
Good that its a different person Jules as so much of this is personality based as well as the techniques?

Good luck and well done today

How is court going ?

Meg

Jules31
12-02-04, 16:27
Thanks Charlie for the constant support I really need it

I've had a really bad afternoon, feeling dizzy, headachey, upset stomach, you name it. Will have stayed an extra two hours at work too because no point going home and then back again to see CBT woman

I haven't been into court since my two panic attacks there last week. Had a long chat with my boss this morning, as only us two in. He wants me to go to court often so that it becomes normal to me again and less of a threat. I'm dreading it but he has said that he will send someone else down with me for a while and I can just watch them. Even that gave me an attack last time. Then when I'm feeling ok I can start doing some things on my own. It's not that I'm not capable of doing the work at all, just I feel so physically ill that I can't concentrate

I've got hardly anything done today but at least I'm here.

Have a great holiday Meg, hopefully we can get together when you get back and I will have made some progress. I'm really sceptical because have failed so miserably in the past but will try and keep it up this time.

Dave did have to drag me to the swimming pool though

Jules

Lottie32
13-02-04, 09:30
Jules

You haven't failed. You are still going to work, going swimming, finding ways to resolve the problems you are having with your boss.

Giving in is stopping in bed all day, not going to work, refusing to try anything. (Although sometimes you can't help it).

I know exactly how you feel though - I suffer terribly with my tummy, and am convinced that I shall need the loo, or throw up at very regular intervals. Which makes doing anything really enjoyable. Not! However, as I have progressed through my CBT, I have finally started to realise that my tum is anxiety related. It is getting better, and I am getting braver. You really will get there honestly. It doesn't matter if Dave had to drag you to the baths. You still allowed yourself to be dragged!!!!! There are times when I have refused to do anything.

Find some talismen that you can take into court with you - water, sucking a peppermint, an elastic band around your wrist to keep flicking. Something subtle to take your mind off it, that nobody will know you are doing. And take your boss up on his offer. I know it will be very hard, but it will become harder and harder the more you put it off (spoken as a weak person who gave in and had to start doing everything over again!). It's very touch trying to concetrate when you think your head is going to explode, or your tummy is churning. I useless at saying stop to myself, but this does work for some people, as does imagining "nice" things - a tropical beach etc.

How did the CBT go? I see a really nice lady called Amanda. We always end up having a right old laugh, and I walk out thinking that I haven't really done anything. But I have, cos I always feel loads better for going, it's like she has legged me up another rung on the ladder. All I've got to do is to stay there until the next appointment. Please stick with it Jules. It DOES WORK. Since I started going last March (7 appointments ago) I have stopped over at peoples houses, gone clubbing, gone for nights out in local town, gone out for meals, gone to two concerts, gone to the theatre. Ok, so they have all been within my safety zone of 30 miles or so from home. But I wasn't doing ANY of them before. CBT has done nothing to relieve the physical symptoms directly. I have had to battle on through them. But what it has done is reduced my anxiety and made me "braver" and more confident, which has reduced my physical symptoms, so most of the time, they are not there at all.

Have you thought about a relaxation tape to play as you go to bed. I've got a good one if you want a copy. (Just e-mail me your address). I play it quietly as I'm trying to drop off. I think I sleep better for listening to it, particularly after a few days of it. And the better quality my sleep, the less prone I am to headaches, dizziness, etc etc etc. Just a thought.

Hope you have a good day!

Love

Charlie

Jules31
16-02-04, 10:53
Hi Charlie

Well the CBT went ok, though the woman says she may well be doing the same work with me as the therapist before did. But it can sometimes be good to get a new perspective, so I will give it a few sessions and see how it goes. She seemed really nice

I also went to hypnotherapy on Saturday. Not too sure that I feel really comfortable with the guy completely but will give it some time before I decide for sure. He did seem really genuine in wanting to help me though. Ihave to do self hynosis now twice a day.

I have had a bad weekend, feeling very vague and unreal, as though I don't know where I am and can't think clearly. Also my head had hurt a lot, it's either had lots of pressure either side so it feels like it will explode, or the pressure has been in my forehead and over the top.
We went out for meal on Saturday night and the tight head came on within seconds on the way there. It took about an hour and a half before it eased off at all and scared me stiff the whole time that something was going to burst in my head.

Had the same feelings all day yesterday too and then kept waking up in the night feeling like i couldn't breathe. Does this sound like anxiety. I've only had these feelings for the last few weeks and thought anxiety couldn't do anything else to me

I will keep perserving with everything though

Hope you have a good day too

Jules

It would be great if you could send me a copy of the tape. I've emailed you my details.

Jules

Lottie32
20-02-04, 09:48
Hi Jules

Sorry I've not been in touch - I've had a really dodgy stomach upset and have spent the last four days battling with my mum (who also came down with it) for the bathroom.

I'm afraid that your mind can give you just about any symptom imaginable! And anxiety is very good at twisting the mind.

HOwever, look on the positive side - you still went out on Saturday, you are not giving in to it, and despite not enjoying yourself, and feeling bad, you still carried on "as normal".

One day soon, your anxiety will "give up" and go away. Honest. Mine has over little things already, and my Saturday afternoon/evening feeling physically ill is getting better (although it still happens).

I have posted a copy of the tape to you yesterday (I didn't leave the house till Thursday, sorry I've not got it sooner).

Have you tried something like Indian Head massage to ease your head and shoulders. My mum who has loads of spare time and money finds it very beneficial, and even has a really nice lady come to the house to do it! If you are interested, she may know of somebody in the area who does mobile visits.

How has your week been? I hope you are, if not feeling better, not feeling any worse.

Take care

Charlie x

Charlie

Jules31
20-02-04, 16:23
Hi Charlie

Got the tape this morning and it was a really pleasant suprise because I'd forgotten about it. Will tuck myself up tonight and give it a go and let you know how I get on.

Sorry to hear you've had a poorly tummy hope it is ok now.

I've had a really bad week, the most immense headaches that you can imagine that have just been getting worse and worse. Saw dr yesterday and he said he thinks they could be migraines or cluster headaches. Have had migraines in the past and not really like those The pain is worse but they don't last as long, though are more frequent, three or four a day. Have some meds to try and ease things down so will see how I go. Though I can't drink with those and the odd glass of wine has been the only thing that has been keeping me going lately.
Whereabouts are you, you said just down the road, but I don't know where.

I tried Indian head massage once about 18 months ago but it didn't really help. I went to Boots when they were doing them. It would be great if you could give me some details of some local people to try out. Though working part time, trying to save for a wedding, and pay for CBT and hypnotherapy has left me broke.

I have next week off week so am going to try and relax.

Take care, thanks again for the tape
Jules x

Lottie32
21-02-04, 11:20
Hi Jules

Hope you've had a chance to try the tape, and it helped somewhat. I never actually played it, so I'm not sure if it works! maybe I should have checked. OMG now I'm getting anxious incase i've sent you a dud! Let me know if it doesn't work and I'll re-do it!

Will let you know about therapists in your area. Can't you get CBT on the NHS (I'm in Southern Derbyshire Health Trust area, and at the minutes, they are offering me loads of treatments. Free!)

Feeling much better now thanks. Hope you have a relaxing week - the weather is supposed to be ok, which always makes me feel better.

Symptoms can change for conditions which you have had for years - my friend always used the "throw" when she had migranes. Now she doesn't.

I live near Matlock, about 12 miles north of Derby, so we aren't that far away at all (figuartively speaking of course). Are you coming to the get together at Megs house in May?

Have a good "chill" next week

Love

Charlie

Jules31
21-02-04, 13:56
Hi Charlie

Didn't get chance to try the tape last night cos my partner went to bed before me. Will try and give it a go today.

I am feeling dreadful, my head is full of pressure, I keep getting a funny feeling in my mouth and my legs are so weak. I feel like i will keel over any minute.

When I asked for CBT on NHS there was a six month wait. What sort of things are they offering you, maybe I can push for something too.

Glad you are feeling better, hope I am soon

Jules x

Lottie32
21-02-04, 19:34
Hi Jules

Get yourself on the waiting list and save yourself a fortune girl! Once you have had your initial evaluation, then it's quite quick if you are struggling. I had to wait longer, cos it is more of a social and not enjoying life to the full thing with me.

Can't remember exactly what Amanda said, but when I have finished my CBT I am going to be working with somebody else, still on a cognitive basis. As I understand it, we will look at all the issues I have with my past (which hasn't been that bad, but I am the sort of person who blows things out of proportion and can't let go) and work on making me a stronger confident person.

You sound so much like I felt over Xmas. I ate about thirteen boxes of decongestants, cos I was convinced it was my sinuses playing me up. It wasn't and they didn't touch the head ache either!

I felt like I was made of cotton wool, and instead of walking was floating round on balls of cotton wool. I wasn't confident leading the horses around either - I thought that if one of them pulled away, I wouldn't have the strength to hold it.

If you partner goes to bed before you tonight, just lie down on the sofa, and listen to the tape in the front room.

It didn't have a major effect on me immediately, but I definitely noticed an improvement after I had listened to it every night for a week. Persevere - it's the only way we can get through.

You take care

Love

Charlie

leanna69
28-07-07, 10:41
i get the burning under the scalp its awful, i too had an obsession with brain tumour from the age of 14 to 18. i am 19 now and feel i am getting over it, it used to control my life. now i only think i have a tumour wen i get a headache or the burning. you are absolutely fine and trus me it will pass. i get this in cycles the last cycle lasted about 7 month. i feel a hundred times better now than i did a month or 2 ago. i convinced myself i was going mad and everything. its all in the mind and ur mind will get bored eventually. it can only torture u for so long
leanne
xxxx