PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Ultra Magnus
01-02-10, 01:34
Hello

I'm a 23 year old male and think I am suffering with health anxiety. I used to be very relaxed and generally not much of a worrier but that has changed completely over the last six months.

I went away travelling for six months but after coming back I seem to have turned into a complete hypochondriac and am always worrying about my health. It started with abdominal pains which I started to think was cancer. I went to the doctor and was told it was IBS. After this the symptoms seemed to mostly go away but soon after that I developed a fear that I had lymphoma and was constantly checking for lumps which naturally I found. I spent several months trying to convince myself that I was just worrying over nothing but eventually went to the doctor last week. He said that he couldn’t feel anything. This quelled my lymphoma fear but it took less than a week for me to develop headaches and convince myself I have a brain tumour starting the whole cycle again.
The anxiety ebbs and flows. Sometimes I have good days with very little worry but when it is at its worst I can’t sleep because the fear of illness is constantly on my mind and the constant anxiety is really stopping me from enjoying my life. I think the time has come that I need to talk to my doctor about my anxiety rather than just asking about what ever illness is my flavour of the week.

Reading through these forums it seems like there are other people that are in a very similar situation and have already found some useful advice so hello to all and good luck with overcoming your anxiety.

nomorepanic
01-02-10, 01:37
Hi Ultra Magnus

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Mr Parfect
01-02-10, 01:47
Welcome to NMP.

KK77
01-02-10, 01:54
Hello Ultra

You've hit the nail on the head: you need to focus on your anxiety (and ways to reduce it) rather than on the symptoms of anxiety (ie thinking you have a disease etc).

Take care and welcome to NMP

Andyroo
01-02-10, 04:03
Hello there

Welcome to NMP! theres lots of helpful information here.

Its really good to have you with us!

You will have lots of love and support here!! welcome. :hugs:

Veronica H
01-02-10, 09:31
:welcome:to NMP. glad that you have found us.

Veronica

Vanilla Sky
01-02-10, 12:57
Welcome to NMP :welcome: Love Paige x