PDA

View Full Version : Ringing in Ears - Advice Please!

BKF1515
01-02-10, 09:40
I am getting myself all wound up about ringing in my ears. I have had plugged, popping ears off and on for a few months. Sometimes I noticed that they were ringing (mainly at night) but tried to dismiss it. Then the other day I made the mistake of reading an article about how easy it is to damage your ears - one of the symptoms which is irreversible is ringing. Ever since that moment I have been concentrating on the ringing in my ears and of course always hearing it. In my left ear there is a little hum that never seems to go away. It is driving me crazy, especially when I think these noises are here to stay. Anyone else with H/A have experience with this and got out from under it?? Thanks in advance for sharing - I would be most grateful.

BKF1515
01-02-10, 11:37
Driving myself crazy with this - hope someone answers....

Acidomoduso
01-02-10, 12:55
Yes... i suffer from ringing in the ears - too many years of going to concerts! Some days are better than others but i mostly notice it at night when all is quiet. Really nothing to worry about. As long as you don't keep subjecting your ears to the noise then they shouldn't get any worse. You can't change whats happened but you can stop it from advancing further.

If it helps... I just imagine it as a high, sustained violin note and then think about something else to occupy my mind. Good luck! :)

BKF1515
01-02-10, 14:06
Thank you so much for your reply. It sounds like I have what you have - ringing that gets better and worse depending on time of day (worse when I am in bed), and the note in my left ear does sound very violin-like! But how do you stop it from driving you mad? Don't you ever feel like you want some peace and quiet inside your head? I find it very clostophobic which sends my anxiety through the roof. I guess what bothers me is knowing that it will never get better - like it's a life sentence. And my husband telling me he has no ringing at all. The funny thing is that I have not been subjected to much noise in my life - just a few rather tame concerts - but I did have a lot of ear infections when I was really little. I am wondering if they left me with permanent damage.... Thank you for your reply - your attitude has given me a little bit of confidence!

JoeKanon
01-02-10, 14:08
Count me in! I also hear ringing in my ears especially when it's so quiet. I was told that ringing ears means I am losing some amount of hearing. I recently had a pure tone audio and speech tymphanometry -- the results were ok. My hearing is well within normal threshold. In a city where quiet is unknown, I gues the ringing that I hear is my brain trying figure out how silence sounds.

What I do is to distract my brain. I have a very small table-top water fountain in my room. The sound of the gurgling water is relaxing and takes my mind off the ringing.

I hope this helps...

Cell block H fan
01-02-10, 14:47
My mum had ringing in the ear, only one, the left one. Always worse at night, in fact thats the only time she really noticed it. They sent her to the hospital after about 5 years of her complaining of it! Did a scan of the head & said its just Tinitus, nothing they can do. She does notice its worse during times of stress. I have a bit of wayward brother that puts her through the mill x

Ddcoo
01-02-10, 15:10
I have had ringing in my ears for over 30 years, I have had hearing tests and am quite deaf in my left ear, but that has come with age. I have 4 different noises and the way I deal with it, is not to worry about it. I do remember reading somewhere that you should make friends with the noise.I manage not to notice mine most of the time but of course at night it is more noticeable when daytime sounds don't mask the noises. You can get masking devices that go in :whistles:the ear which plays a "white noise" or you can put a radio on low to distract yourself. There are thousands of people who suffer with tinnitus but I do believe it is how you perceive it that helps with ignoring it.

JohnnyLamb
01-02-10, 15:20
My ears ring constantly due to TMJ and 30 years worth of loud rock n' roll. Nothing you can do other than stop the behavior. Rest assured, it can't kill you.

shaz01
01-02-10, 16:45
Hi folks,

I have suffered with this since having the flu and bad headaches in September, I hate it but do find somethimes during the day you dont notice it, but I hate it when in bed..I feel I just cant relax with it.

Shaz x x

Emira7
01-02-10, 16:51
Hi there

I had the ringing in the ears and discovered it was because my ears needed syringing! Marvellous. I could hear again - whoopppeee

Emira
x