PDA

View Full Version : I have my meds for helicobacter, feeling so anxious

Lissy43
01-02-10, 12:34
Saw my GP today, he said the helicobacter had to be treated and prescribed me Clarithromycin 500mg twice daily, 500mg Amoxicillin two, twice daily and Lansoprazole 30mg one twice a day.

I took my first Clarithromycin about an hour and a half ago, I still feel anxious after taking it that I may react. I took a peek at the leaflet and god the side effects are nasty, I know they are rare but you can have fits, hallucinations etc....I had an allergic reaction to an antidepressant once and since then taking medication scares me so much:blush:

I have taken amoxicillin 500mg before, so I am not too worried about taking those. I have never taken lansoprazole before and the side effects of that are nasty too. I know I have to take them but I am sat here scared stiff. Pancriatitis is one of the side effects of it too:weep:

Since yesterday I have had a feeling of trapped wind under my right ribs and my right side of my back, GP wants to send me for a scan for gallstones. Stupid me did a read up on those and have convinced myself I have those too. GP felt my stomach and pushed around that area and I didn't have any pain, therefore he is said it is highly unlikely I have them but as I have the pain, which he said could just be trapped wind, I have to be scanned to be sure. He said as I am very slim and only 30 the odds are in my favour.

I just feel so anxious, dreading taking my next lot of mds, especially the lansoprazole:weep: I know it is silly, but it isn't easy when you have had an allergic reaction in the past and are scared.

I really hope the medication works and doesn't make me feel too unwell. I have 2 little boys who were up all night with a sickness bug, I am drained and I bet I end up getting that aswell. When will I ever get a break:weep:

Sorry to whinge again, I feel just so anxious about it all.

ScaredCaz
01-02-10, 12:58
Hi Jess

I am glad you are on the treatment best to get this bug sorted i don,t know much about your antibiotics but i take lanzoprozol at the min i am on 15mg a day but i have been on 30 in the past

I was fine on them did,nt get any side effects and they made me feel better they just stop your stomach producing too much acid

oh and in reply to your message i have,nt had the results yet but i am guessing i don,t have it as it has been a while

all the best x

Lissy43
01-02-10, 13:02
Oh good, they send the result to your GP who will tell you over the phone if you call them. I had to ring them, they didn't tell me, lol!

Thanks xx

Maj
01-02-10, 13:13
Please try not to worry about the meds. I've had treatment twice for helicobacter and was absolutely fine. The first time I had flagyl, which can upset your stomach, but after a day or two felt okay. If you read the side effects of most meds you wouldn't take them. Infact I know many people who have had meds for helicobacter and don't remember any of them having bad side effects. You are doing the right thing so try not to worry and just carry on with your normal routine.
Myra:hugs:

Lissy43
01-02-10, 13:33
Thanks Myra.

Did you feel ok on them then? Can you tell me how you took them? I wasn't told and im not sure if im supposed to take them all at once or spaced out through the day.

Lissy43
01-02-10, 18:21
I feel yuk tonight, not with the meds but I am riddled with wind. It is all up my bacl, esp on right side and low down in stomach/bowel area, wind up my bottom. I feel riddled with it and I am in tears. Why me??? is there someting wrong with me? I have been like this since a week after my operation and I am terrified something is seriously wrong with me.

I am not feeling so good right now:-(

Maj
01-02-10, 18:54
The helicobacter could be causing these symptoms. Hopefully when you finish the treatment you'll get a bit of relief. You might find you'll get kept on lansoprazole as this will also cut down the stomach acid. I know - stomach discomfort can make you feel miserable, but you're doing the right thing taking meds for it and hopefully it'll be worth it.

Lissy43
01-02-10, 19:55
Silly me read the leaflet for Clarithromycin and I am terrified now to take another. One of the 'rare' side effects is a serious heart condition, with some wierd spanish name, causes the heart to race, and it says it is life threatening. I am dreading taking the next dose now:-(

Maj
01-02-10, 19:59
Please don't be afraid - they will be doing you good. Don't read the leaflets - they only wind you up. Side effects will be VERY rare. If they were common then they wouldn't be prescribed as often. I'd just take the meds and get on with something that will distract you. Before you know it the days will go on and you'll have finished the course.

Lissy43
01-02-10, 20:03
Thank you Myra, I know I have to take these and I pray my life will get back to normal, as I have been so ill with this infection.

I took my first lot before lunch today, and the pharmacist said leave 12 hours between the doses, but i will be fast asleep by midnight so I hope by leaving it until morning I won't be messing about with the treatment too much.

Maj
01-02-10, 20:07
I hope you have a good night tonight and wake up refreshed tomorrow morning!!

Lissy43
01-02-10, 20:13
Thanks Myra xxx

I would just like to take these meds and not feel too bad. I felt ok really after the first lot, I took 1 of the Clarithromycin and 2 Amoxicillin and although I felt a tad sickly I was ok soon afterwards. I took them an hour apart of eachother which I was told was ok to do. I just hope this continues, or is it likely to make me feel worse over time?

Maj
01-02-10, 20:21
Even if it made you feel a bit rough for a day or two it would be worth it in the long run. But you may be perfectly okay with the meds. I don't think they will have any really nasty side effects. The benefits will outweigh these.

Lissy43
01-02-10, 20:31
So did you feel ok?

Maj
01-02-10, 20:35
I took the treatment twice and apart from taking Flagyl the first time, which just upset my stomach for maybe a day, I was absolutely fine. Before that I felt awful, having terribly irritated stomach with a sickening feeling. It was worth taking the treatment. Sometimes it doesn't work the first time but it does work eventually. My stomach hasn't been as bad since I had the treatment.

Lissy43
01-02-10, 20:46
That is reassuring, thanks Myra. It would be nice to not have the constant pains and acid.

pammy1944
01-02-10, 21:25
did you get my email jess?

Lissy43
01-02-10, 21:36
I just got it Pammy, and replied to you xxxx

Jan63
01-02-10, 21:47
I never read the leaflets about side effects cos I would probably scare myself silly and I've never had any side effects with anything I've taken. I would only refer to the side effects if I was having a problem because I think once it's in your head that there are side effects then you will probably get them.
I never had a problem with the triple therapy. The only thing was that you haven't to drink alcohol with one of the antibotics as it can make you violently sick but other than that I was fine and I'm sure you will be too.
I have had the same wind that you are talking about under my ribs and in my back and it is all down to anxiety I think.:hugs: I also take omeprazole regularly and don't have any problems with it at all.

Lissy43
02-02-10, 04:24
Thanks Jan. I was very silly reading it, it has only added to the anxiety. Just some of them were pretty nasty:(

Rachel W
02-02-10, 11:17
I don't know anything about these meds, but as mentioned above EVERY medication sounds scary if you read it. Perhaps you should read the leaflets of meds that you have taken without issues in the past and you will realise that you will be fine. They just have to put the info on to cover themselves as maybe one person has had those reactions.

Hope you feel better soon!!!

Lissy43
02-02-10, 21:39
Thanks Rachel,

I have taken 2 doses today and so far I seem ok. I am worried still about the very 'rare' side effects, as there were some very nasty ones, but I know I have to take these to get better so it has to be worth it.

AJS
02-02-10, 21:50
Hi Jessicalil

I had all these meds last year for helicobacter - the only side effect was that they cleared out my intestines - a bit like having food poisoning - but lost a bit of weight!!! and not much worse than what you get with Helicobacter anyway!

The symptoms you are describing all seem like it is the stomach infection that are causing them. I must have had Helicobacter for 18 months - I had scans for gallstones, scans on my kidneys, liver etc - that all came back fine - the pain and wind can get so bad that you can't move, it also made me need to rush to the toilet like an evacuation all the time.

Two of your tablets are antibiotics - the other lameprazole (or whatever it's called) is to fight any ulcer that the Heli has caused and also help with any heartburn you may have while taking the meds. I ask a million questions at the doctors!!!!!

After the meds my stomach did improve but it has not gone away - but after some more tests like endoscopy and colonoscopy - they are just putting it down to ibs - which gets worse when i am having a bad anxiety/panic attack day!

Hope this helps!

AJS :)

Lissy43
02-02-10, 22:26
Thanks AJS.

Lots of info there, thanks, very helpful.

Did you ever get pains/wind very low down? all below the bellybutton?

GP thinks my aches and pains there are just IBS from all the anxiety. My actual stomach pains are quite rare but the last few days ive had wind in my right rib, hence why he has refered me for a scan.

So far im ok, so lets hope if i was gona feel any worse than I do now then it would have happened.

Lissy43
03-02-10, 13:40
I feel awful today, very low down under my belly button:(( bowel and intestines???? Constant popping and bubbling, why would i have this- had it for weeks!!!worse today:(((

I feel awful on the meds and i cant eat, i feel so sick:( Do you have to eat alot when on antibiotics??

AJS
03-02-10, 19:34
it's probably just the anti-biotics clearing out your system.
about half way through i felt really sick and had black runny stools and a lot of pain.

I had the low down stomach pains (around the belly button and below- and the high up right hand side pain - hence the scan for gallstones etc. Also had lots of trapped wind.

I still have IBS - but the pains I had with helicobacter are gone.

Feeling sorry for you - I know it's horrible - but stick with the anti-biotics or you won't get rid of the infection and it will get worse.

AJS :)

Lissy43
03-02-10, 23:26
HI,

Thank you.

I had awful stomach pains before, and the GP rung me and said you need to eat alot on antibiotics so little and often.

I now have pains and loads of bubbling & popping low on the right side, but VERY low down pain. GP said this is IBS???

I know I have to carry on but these pains worry me:-(

AJS
07-02-10, 21:18
Just thought i'd ask how you are getting on now.
Hope things have settled down and you are in less pain and feeling a bit better.
:)

Lissy43
07-02-10, 21:29
Hi,

Thanks for asking. I am over the worst now, although I still have low down pains it has been so much more bearable and I think my body is getting used to the meds, lol!

Last dose tomorrow morning:-):-) and hopefully it has gone.

Did you have gallstones in the end? I have been refered for a scan as I had right sided pain, but that has gone now.

AJS
07-02-10, 21:45
Hi
Really glad you're doing well - last dose - yipee.
No i didn't have gallstones - they scanned my gallblader, kidneys and liver and everything was fine - I think that high right side pain was all down to the helicobacter - i still have ibs and some of the other stomach pains - but since finishing the course of meds that pain has gone.
Just to let you know my stomach still took a while (about 2- 3 months) to get rid of the lower down pain - but it wasn't as bad - i think your insides take a while to recover from that stomach infection - but fingers crossed that you will have a faster recovery. try those yakults or activia - it's good to get some nice bacteria back in your tummy after all those nasty ones have been in there so long and the anti-biotics also get rid of some of your good bacteria.
Get your scan done anyway - it's always good to have peace of mind - but fingers crossed you will be fine. My dad had helicobacter and he also had the same symptoms.
Take Care :)

Lissy43
07-02-10, 22:11
Thanks AJS,

It is nasty isn't it and I think taking the antibiotics causes even more pain.

I have some probiotics in ready:-)