PDA

View Full Version : do any sleep aids work?

rosalind
29-12-05, 17:57
I have a terrible insomnia problem and unless I take something I get no sleep at all. I am having CBT but so far don't think it is much use.
Valerian doesn't work nor lavender.
I have found Somnatrol on the Internet and wondered whether to try it.
But I'm scared as it has 5-HTP in it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ros

nomorepanic
29-12-05, 18:08
Have you tried Night nurse (occasional use only), Nytol or Nytol Herbal?

Nicola

rosalind
29-12-05, 21:10
Hi Nicola
I've been using Nytol for the last 5 weeks and it does help me to sleep but leaves me feeling quite wobbly the next day and sometimes makes my heart beat irregularly.
I shall try taking it every other day which my consultant said would be OK.
Herbal Nytol doesn't work for me and I haven't tried Night Nurse - is it the same anti-histamine as Nytol?
I just wish there was a more natural remedy that would work.
Thanks for your reply.
Ros

henri
29-12-05, 23:20
Hi Ros,
I've had bouts of insomnia too, and hate taking medication (taking nytol totally freaked me out even though it's herbal). So I do all the obvious stuff like drink herbal tea before going to bed, breathing exercises etc. My boyfriend bought me this amazing milk bath stuff called "Float Away: Sleep-Inspiring Milk Bath", from Origins. I think it must have been quite expensive, but honestly, it really really helps to send me to sleep. It contains Roman Chamomile, Tangerine and Lemon Leaves. It's fab, honestly.
I also try to make sure i don't eat in the couple of hours before going to bed. Oh, and reading a really boring book in bed helps too!
Henri x

rosalind
30-12-05, 22:11
Thanks Henri,
I am going to John Lewis tomorrow so I shall buy some of the Origins Milk Bath and let you know how it works!
Thanks
Ros

Dusty
20-02-06, 19:34
Hi Ros

How's the insomnia? As a long term on-and-off insomniac myself I can totally sympathise with the war we wage with our sleep.

Did you find anything that works?

Dusty xx

PMT - Proof that God must be a man.

rosalind
20-02-06, 20:19
Hi Dusty,
Thanks for the reply. The only thing that woks is Nytol. I only take half the normal dose and I get about 5 hours which is OK. Sometimes I even get more!!!
I often try not to take anything but I end up awake all night again.
It's as though my body has forgotten how to sleep.
What do you take?
Ros

Dusty
20-02-06, 21:54
Hi Ros

I try not to take anything, because at the moment I am doing OKish.

But the only things that have worked for me are Diazepam taken before a warm bath. resuce remedy and Vertiver Essential oil. But none of them are fool proof.

I found the main thing to do is to be +ve: It is more important to rest and relax. I can enjoy myself when tired. There is nothing HAVE to do tomorrow but even that isn't always guaranteed to work.

Have had a couple of dodgy nights recently when it has taken me a long while to drop off - have woken my hubby up switching on the light to read twice in the last 3 nights! This morning I had an anxiety attack with floods of tears because I was frustrated I was getting worse again. I suspect my recent insomnia has been caused by PMT, hubby going away for 1/2 term (how will I cope?) and kids going to a Playscheme for the first time ever (fear of the unknown).

On the bright side I had a very good day and had hardly any anxiety after initial start. And kids loved the playscheme!!

Just shows I shouldn't judge how I'll be on how I THINK I slept.

Dusty xx

trevor
21-02-06, 08:37
red wine works for me ,

better to fight for something than to live for nothing

rosalind
21-02-06, 10:55
Hi Dusty and Trevor,
Unfortunately can't drink alchohol - due to autoimmune condition which is now in remission but I had steroids for 6 years which wrecked my system. Before that, red wine was great!
Had an awful night last night - feel terrible today - totally jet lagged.
I had started taking HRT which was working so well - it helped sleep and had eliminated the panic attacks and palpitations. My doctor wants me off it for 6 weeks to do some other hormone tests. I've another 5 weeks to go!
Help!
Ros

Dusty
21-02-06, 14:36
Trevor: after bitter experience I have found that red wine did not tend to have a sedative effect on me. In fact most alcohol made more active rather than sleepy. So in October last year I stopped drinking, and bar the odd glass on my birthday & christmas day I have been tee-total ever since.

Apart from all the Breezers I have the NoMorePanic Local!!

Chin up Ros. We are all here for you. Have you spoken to your doctors about your fears? Or are they not that easy to talk to?

Dusty xx

rosalind
21-02-06, 15:11
Hi Dusty,
I've been to countless doctors and had CBT. However, I can't find anything I am fearful about. Neither can they! If I could sleep I'd feel great! My body has somehow forgotten how to!
The panic attacks are definitely to do with the menopause as they went when I started the HRT.
Since my last post this morning I have started the HRT again. I just can't go back to how I was feeling last year when I had no sleep at all.
At least with HRT and Nytol I can function.
Am just going to ring the consultant and tell her I can't stay off the HRT for 6 weeks just yet. Perhaps try again at Easter.
Thanks for the reply.
Ros (Real name Jen but the board already had a Jen!)

chop
18-03-06, 13:35
I tried all natural sleep aids but nothing worked for me.

only thing that works for me is stilnox (zolpidem tartrate) and that gets me 5-6 hours. Without this, I get none at all and cant go on.

Stilnox is not natural, it is a sleeping pill but not really a benzo, has a half life of about 2 hours and does nto leave you groggy. New generation but still it is a pill.

Also, I read many reports on these pills where people did not like them and side effects and some who swore by them. I couldnt go on not sleeping so I tried and its the ebst thing I ever did. No side effects apart froma good nights sleep.

Funny thing is in the arvo without a sleep pill, I can sleep for a few hours again and am slowly coming off them. they certainly helped me.

Chop

Learning to under react

rosalind
18-03-06, 14:38
Hi Chop,
I tried Zolpidem but it made me very nervy the next day and shaky.
I am only using 1/8 dose of Nytol now and getting 6 hours which is the best ever in 9 years. The HRT is helping too I think.
Thanks for your reply.
Ros

chop
19-03-06, 10:34
You are one of the ones who hate the stilnox then lol. There are many who hate it and many like me who swear by it and no side effects.

I am glad soemthing has worked for you and its natural :)

Cheers
Chop

Learning to under react

rosalind
19-03-06, 11:30
Hi,
The Nytol I take unfortunately is not the natural one!
The natural Nytol did nothing!
I take the one that is anti-histamine.
Luckily it is not addictive and as I am on such a low dose I don't get the grogginess the next day.
Glad the Stilnox worked for you!
Ros