PDA

View Full Version : Black stools

Cat80
03-02-10, 11:40
I have been in pain for months everyday with my stomach. I don't usually look at my poop as I'm squeamish like that. But I've just been this morning (I keep getting gripes after breakfast most days and have to go to the loo). Just what I saw scared me though because my poop was black and also quite a lot of mucus came out with it (nothing new as I always have mucus).

I'm just scared that the poo was black because I've felt of colour for months now with nausea (quite severe), fatigue, bowel pains and actual stomach pains etc. Now worried something is very very wrong. I do have IBS and I do drink apple and blackcurrent cordial everyday but never noticed my poop so dark before. Last night was a bad night for the nausea as well and I was up till gone midnight feeling sick, only went to sleep after taking an anti nausea tablet.

Emira7
03-02-10, 11:45
Hey there

I too have had a look down the loo. I have had black poo before, I generally get it after I have drunk red wine, eaten spinach. It then normally goes back to normal. To be honest I have been getting a bit to obsessed with what is going on with my 'movements' so I am trying to cut that out.

What you eat and drink does have a big effect on what comes out the other end :-) Mine varies from day to day.

I would say give your doctor a call and get it checked out. Also make a food diary of what you have eaten in the last few days
xx

yorkylover
03-02-10, 12:11
If its black all the time you need to get it checked out,but like Emira it can depend on what you have eaten.But because of the pain you are in ect it wouldn't hurt to get it checked out for peace of mind hun.xxxxx:hugs:

darrenc
03-02-10, 12:21
I've had them black before as well :blush:, but only after I've been to a beer festival. :)

I know I'm not the only one to get this, as my drinking colleague called them the "beer s**ts"! Usually it only lasts a few days, and then everything goes back to normal.

i love tea
03-02-10, 12:36
Hi Cat,

Are you on iron tablets? They can also make poo black.

As everyone has said, lots of things can cause this to happen, so please try not to worry. If it continues, just get it checked out for peace of mind.

Take care :flowers:

Cat80
03-02-10, 12:54
Hiya i_love_tea (I love tea too lol). No not on any iron tablets, only on B Complex which I started taking 10 days ago and there's no added iron to it

i love tea
03-02-10, 13:08
Ahh... was just a thought, as that's what happened to me when I was taking iron tablets!

I'm sure everything will be OK. You might even find that you're back to 'normal' tomorrow (whatever 'normal' is with IBS - I get it too!!)

:flowers:

Cat80
03-02-10, 13:42
DOh, just thought, I have been taking on and off charcoal capsules to help with the wind I get, that could maybe be causing the black stools?

Emira7
03-02-10, 14:39
I reckon so Cat! Honestly, I almost had a heart attack when I first saw black stools. Googled, and discovered red wine causes it. I had a few glasses the night before!

Cat80
03-02-10, 14:49
Thanks Emira, I'd completely forgot I'd taken a few of those over the last few days. Just focused on the fact I have such bad nausea and tummy pain that i'd convinced myself it was something serious.

Got pain now again low down on the right and into my hip

Emira7
03-02-10, 15:22
I googled side effects for you:

http://www.answers.com/topic/charcoal-tablets-or-capsules

Side effects are black stools :)

yorkylover
03-02-10, 17:30
Could well be charcoal tablets,do you suffer from constipation.When I get that ot trapped wind its usually on my right side!!!!

LucyR
03-02-10, 21:31
Hi, I would just like to agree that you should get this checked out by your Dr. if it has been going on for months. I get stomach ache too from time to time, but it disappears after a few days completely. So id get it checked out, you don't want to be in pain for months.

JohnBliss
04-02-10, 20:25
With the stomach upset i too would strongly recommend a visit to the doctor. I have experienced black stools twice in the last three years and on both occasions they were symptoms of a bleeding stomach ulcer. These are easily and painlessly treated with medication.
Hope it's soon "sorted"
Regards
John