PDA

View Full Version : achy legs and arms mainly at night

amandaj
03-02-10, 14:02
this is really getting me down now, everynight my legs ache and hurt so bad it wakes me up especially if i lay on my side ,i have to lift my legs in the air to relieve it a bit, also same in tops of my arms my ha was getting a bit better now its hit rock bottom again its never ending ,any ideas as to what this could be would really be appreciated
amandaxx

marley
03-02-10, 14:12
The legs/arms problem is quite common - it's called restless legs (I'm not making that up, it really is!) They're a form of cramping and they can be brought on in numerous ways. They are totally harmless, although I understand that they're annoying and painful! There's another similar condition called akathisia - which can be caused by taking certain medications like antidepressants.

I live with someone who suffers quite badly with it, and he can't sleep a lot of nights because of it, though he gets it worse if he has been sitting down all day. Getting exercise is a good way to alleviate the pain.

You could try a muscle relaxant - I know doxylamine succinate (an antihistamine) is actually a sedative/muscle relaxant, and it's available over-the-counter. It's called Restavit here in Australia. There are always prescription medications, benzos are good with this, but I've first suggested the non-addictive option if you don't want to go down that path.

looking4answers
03-02-10, 23:09
Just off the wall here..do you lay around alot? I do.. I lay on my left side a lot and then my leg starts hurting really bad and at night it cramps because I spent most of the evening laying on that side on the computer also last night my left arm was hurting really bad and I realized I had propped up on it for hours.. So hope this helps..Michael

Andyroo
04-02-10, 13:52
Hello Amanda

I have felt like this a few times but its not so bad thease days :)

I asked my doctor about it he told me it had to do with my anxiety.

We all know how tense our muscles get when we are stressed or anxious.

Im sorry your feeling down about this amanda but its just another silly symthom of anxiety

I hope you feel better soon! you have my love and support:hugs:

xxxx Andy :noangel:

amandaj
04-02-10, 16:53
ty for the replies i cant say im the most active person in the world michael , so it could be that , i am going to try the tablets you suggested marley,andyroo i am hoping it is anxiety as its stressing me out atm thanks again all of you

amandax