PDA

View Full Version : Really ,really,really Down

ashero38
03-02-10, 18:37
Hi everyone im not feeling to great today as some of you might know i was told by my GP that i had slight furring of the arteries and that i would have to go on simvastatin to lower my cholesterol well this really upset me i have probably had over 100 ecg's in the last few years and 2 stress tests and untold blood tests all came back fine apart from the furring arteries well i decided to go see my GP for a chat about the simvastatin i said that i had lost some weight and i wanted to see if my cholesterol had gone down at all he said ok we will do a blood test to see what my cholesterol is well i had the test and the nurse says that my cholesterol was 6.5 and Triglycerides were 5.7 when ther meant to be below 1.5 now im scared senseless that im going to have a heart attack or a stroke im 37 dont smoke but did gave up 7 years ago do not drink or take drugs im 17st 5lbs which is overweight for my height and i dont seem to be able to get out of this mind set that im going to die young like in the next few years . Im not very active and i seem to eat when i get down but i cant be put on anti depressants as im on cymbalta which is one please could some one give me ideas on how to motivate myself and how to lose weight , and has anyone else recovered from high cholesterol and is having high cholesterol a deeath sentence im so scared all i do is sit in my room most days as i havent many freinds and wallow in negative thoughts please help if you can

mel1972
03-02-10, 19:04
Hiya Ash,
I would love to give you some words of wisdom but I am in pretty much exactly the same position as you, I lost nearly 4 stone last year through one thing and another and i am still overweight so i get where you are coming from! all i do know is that when i am feeling crap like i am whilst typing this, i have to keep telling myself it's the stress and health anxiety and it's not going to get the better of me!
You have to be positive and enjoy life instead of dreading death!
I am sure you will get lots of encouraging messages as most people on here are fab for that!
take care and hugs
mel

ashero38
04-02-10, 00:11
Thnx for the reply im but im still really concerned

Emira7
04-02-10, 08:02
Hey there

do you have any family history of heart problems, or high blood pressure?

I would take this as a positive, swing it around and think what can I do to improve this situation?

Perhaps try and become a bit more active, even if it is going for a 20 minute brisk walk a couple of times a week (thats what I have started doing). Have a look at your diet, are there things that you could cut out that are perhaps not great for you?

Do you have a practice nurse at your surgery that can perhaps do a low fat low cholestral diet (I am a Practice Manager and we have that service here) for you? It may help you pinpoint exactly what you can do to help yourself. Or they can give you slimming world vouchers?

I hope you don't think I am speaking out of turn, I just wondered whether perhaps looking at this situation in a different light may help?

Love
Emira
xx

randomworry
04-02-10, 14:58
hey ashero please dont get scared cholesterol is NOT a death sentence. to lower it the doctor can give you statins and you can also change your diet and set up an exercise routine which will will lower it.

all the best

Maj
04-02-10, 15:07
I think I posted this before: my husband and I both have high cholesterol. We both take Simvastatin. It can reduce your cholesterol within a matter of weeks - is that not a good thing? It's not just overweight people who have high cholesterol. Some people are just prone to it through their genes. You are being given a chance to turn things round. You don't have to start going to the gym or go running, but you can go for brisk walks, swimming, etc. Walking is a great exercise for the body and mind. Sitting at home thinking about it too much will only make you despair even more. You need to try and get out there and do it. Don't go on a crash diet, just cut down and have treats. You are only human and don't be so hard on yourself. Do things gradually and you'll make a difference.
Myra:hugs:

Corinne
04-02-10, 15:18
I also take the same drug. It really works quickly to lower cholesterol. There is a lot of heart disease in my family. Taking the drug really reduces my fear of any heart problems. My cholesterol is under control and my anxiety level - at least for that - is about zero.

Please don't worry about cholesterol being a death sentence. Taking the medicine will calm your fears, especially when you see how much it will lower your number!

smudger
04-02-10, 15:28
Hi. I was wondering if you have asked your GP if you can get exercise on referral if money is an issue. I was offered it for my depression. Basically Its vouchers that pay for you to go to a local gym. If money isn't an issue what about joining a health club. My brother is a member at mine and he has palindromic rheoumatoid arthritus and he goes when it first opens (he said he gets embarrassed) coz the pool is empty and walks up and down the pool to help his mobility and weight loss. He has furred arteries too. My husband has slightly high cholesterol (genetic from his dad) and he is a keen mountain biker.Do';t let your sstop you doing the things you love will you? You can make a difference, honestly. Good luck to you....:)

ashero38
04-02-10, 18:59
Well my mums, mum died at 42 from heart attack but she was a very big lady my mum and dad have no heart problems and my mums dad was in his seveties when he died and my dad parents were both in there ninetys ikm just scared that i may have damaged my heart already and i have a ct scan on the 18th to double check that the chest pains are anxietyy and not heart related and one doctor said i had something called FH and it was hereditory but my sister and brother havent got it neither has my mum and dad i so want to get on with my life but im so scaredto do so =(