PDA

View Full Version : Lump in mouth

raynbeau
04-02-10, 02:26
hello,

not sure if there is a thread for this but very anxious and wanted some advice ASAP =[ sorry.

i was ill with a viral infection about 3 weeks ago. very tired, weak, usual stuff...but since saturday, i had this tight pain in my neck..right behind my ear. (like when u eat something and ur glands water from the taste) very strange, never had it before. But the pain travelled around to my ear then into the inside of my mouth. Again, never had that before. Since then, the pain in my neck has gone, my ear has some pressure in it but nothing serious..but my mouth kills me. i wake up with a stiff jaw on the right hand side. but tonight i have noticed a lump at the back of my teeth, and the joint of the jaw (best way i can explain it) its like an ulcer..but not an ulcer..well it doesnt look like it. and its a bit hard. it doesnt move if i push it. but is painful like an ulcer. Doctor said i need to go to the dentist, but because i am unemployed and not on JSA..im worried its gonna get worse by the time i get to the dentist...i jus want to settle my worries
(yes i am a big worrier and google absolutely anything that i find odd with myself - bad idea and very bad habit)

further info - im 20 years old. smoker of 4years. Have had gum disease and was treated with metronidozole * i cant spell it =[* about 2months ago. But first time iv had a symptom like this. Oh and my jaw on the left hand side clicked very painfully bout 4 times since last week but not since iv had the pain in my mouth

Any advice or info would be very handy and welcome. Thank you. Rachel xx

looking4answers
04-02-10, 02:31
Hmmm No use in saying anything about google.. I do it myself.. I thought the heath care in the UK was free? Hmmm I guess Obama didn't get around to it.. lol. Moving right along.. I have had a hurting right behind my ear lately too.. Reminds me of what people used to say might be the mumps.. But then again I think I already had the mumps. Sounds like an ulcer.. nothing more but im not a doc..I agree with your doc see your dentist.. because some docs are unable to determine what is wrong with the jaw or the mouth..It would be better for you to find a way to go.. and check it out..Hope you feel better soon. Michael

raynbeau
04-02-10, 02:36
Thank you =] I hope its not mumps...although i've heard we don't have that in UK anymore? nt sure lol im not very health intelligent tbh. I hope it is an ulcer. =[ Its the same colour as my gums, so its hard to tell. huffskies. im guna call dentist tomorrow and see if they'll see me without being on JSA xx

BornWorrier
04-02-10, 08:05
Hiya Rachel

It probably is an ulcer. This can be really painful, and if it's in an awkward place can cause referred pain in the places you mention.

Worst case scenario is a dental abscess. Now then, don't panic! I doubt it's that at all (you'd be climbing the walls with pain if you had one) and I only mention it to show that whatever this lump is, it's not life threatening. If it did happen to be an abscess, then this is completely treatable by the dentist.

You do need to see a dentist. If you're struggling financially, then try to get in to see an emergency dentist. Most health authorities have one, and it'll only cost about £13 or so for them to have a quick look for you. I would advise claiming that you're in agony, otherwise they may not see you at all.

Just to recap, though, I really don't believe you have a serious problem. You'll probably find it completely goes away in a matter of days :)