PDA

View Full Version : Stopping smoking & palpitations/ectopics

BornWorrier
04-02-10, 07:32
Hi all

I'm gearing up to stopping smoking. One thing I'm getting in a tizz about is a possible increase in ectopic beats while I'm going cold turkey.

I still get these buggers, although not frequently anymore. And, while I realise that they're not dangerous, I know I'll be terrified if I start getting them a lot.

So, does anyone have experience of this? Did your ectopics increase when you quit?

Any advice gratefully received.

SmartyPants
04-02-10, 12:19
I read a post at another forum of a bloke that was quitting smoking and his ectopics totally stopped when he gave up. Over the days, they became less frequent until he no longer got any.

I'm not sure why you would get more when quitting, as cigarettes are quite to blame for them in the first place.

Good luck with it all.

Maj
04-02-10, 13:08
Hi,

I would imagine it's because stopping smoking will make you feel more anxious to begin with. It is breaking a habit which isn't easy. You'll be feeling a bit more stressed and that's why you've had more ectopics. Stopping smoking is doing something great for yourself so don't let these ectopics put you off. They'll ease off when you are more relaxed.
Myra:hugs:

Shigo13
04-02-10, 17:14
I just quit smoking about 4 days ago due to bronchitis. Apart from coughing up lung fluid(nice visual I know) I feel so much better. My anxiety has gone down a notch, my heart beats like normal, my hands are steadier, but the cravings are driving me crazy! The cravings will go away in time, I am sticking to my promise this time!

den68
05-02-10, 09:01
i stopped 4 weeks ago and like you was worried about palps etc but only got a few in the first week and some hot sweats but thats all gone now. Give it ago you can do it

denise