PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie sneeking in to say hello!

frightenedbutterfly
04-02-10, 09:52
Hello!

My name is Sami and I'm 22. I am a student with the OU and also attend my local college for maths - when I can get out the door! - I found this site via the wonders of Google and I'm so happy!! Here's my background with this **** of an illness.

I guess I've had anxiety my whole life (abusive home life, a few traumatic events outside of that too) but it all fell apart when I was 18 just as I got an amazing new job. My first panic attack was pretty textbook, but over the years they have gotten much more painful and disturbing. My current diagnosis is depression, generalised anxiety disorder and panic disorder with agoraphobia. I also have C-PTSD and anorexia.

The support I have received hasn't been great but I have recently found a new GP and I feel somewhat hopeful now. I have had CAT and CBT and also attended day centre, but the CMHT decided to discharge me just as I disclosed traumatic memories to them which left it all on the surface and here I am now a year later fighting it every second of every day.

Medications have proved to be a nightmare. I have tried so many now. SSRI's don't seem to agree with me: escitalopram, citalopram, paroxetine, sertraline.. I've also tried the dreaded mirtazapine! It was a brilliant drug in terms of easing the anxiety and depression but I gained 40lbs. I've had lofepramine aswell but it didn't really do much except make me sweat. Gross.

So now? I'm in a pretty bad patch. I'm praying my GP will find some support for me because I really feel like I'm losing it.

Wow, I've rambled on for ages - sorry!!!! :whistles:

nomorepanic
04-02-10, 09:53
Hi frightenedbutterfly

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Andyroo
04-02-10, 09:53
Hello there

Welcome to NMP! theres lots of helpful information here.

Its really good to have you with us!

You will have lots of love and support here!! welcome. :hugs:

ElizabethJane
04-02-10, 10:58
:welcome:Hi Sami I'm sorry that you are having such a tough time with meds. I am taking mirtazapine too and have found it very helpful. Maybe it is time to get a referral to a new psychiatrist to have your problems reasessed? Maybe he will help you plan a treatment programme? Well done for doing a OU course. That requires a lot of self discipline.

KK77
04-02-10, 15:36
Welcome Sami!

Hope you find all the help and support you need from this site.

Enjoy your stay with us.

moks
04-02-10, 15:47
HI Sami, I'm new to this site and my drug for depression as well! It's a great site with a wonderful group of folks. Welcome! And ramble on....we all need to get it out!!