PDA

View Full Version : Will this go on forever?

bullethead
04-02-10, 13:20
Hi all,
Been suffering with what I believe to be anxiety symptoms for 3 or 4 months now and have posted before about aching arms. Latest thing to get me down is the feeling of being off balance and fuzzy headed that has been affecting me in the morning and late afternoons a lot lately.
I have had so many false dawns when I start to feel better only for anxiety to creep back in after a few days and bring me crashing back down again!
I think my biggest concern is that I won't ever get 'back to normal' particularly when I read on here about people who have suffered for years.
The whole cycle of 'feeling bad / feeling better / nagging doubts resurfacing / feeling bad again' is wearing me down. Is it really possible to make the good periods last and actually beat this thing?
Thanks for taking the time to read. :)

NotResponding
04-02-10, 14:10
Yes, possible. You may have to re-think things, re-program your mind. When doubtful thoughts arise, you have to tell them to stop, and say "Is that really a rational way to think of it, if that happens, Im not going to die or anything."-there's more to it than that...
IMO If you have been getting it bad for 3-4 months then you'll have a better chance of beating it, since it's relatively a new thing. Councilling / Self help books may help. Good luck! :)

Idstain
04-02-10, 14:23
Hi, :) . Setbacks are the hardest part for sure but completely normal.

Full recovery is always possible. My brother had a full blow nervous breakdown about 9 years ago and spent 2 weeks in a psych ward, after 4 months on seroxat he was back to work and has never looked backed since. He says he never feels anxious or even thinks of anxiety anymore and now has a lovely family of his own.

I had something similar (technically called GAD + panic) at the start of november and am now almost back to full health and am even moving abroad alone in a few weeks!

My recovery program has been

Claire Weekes' books + citalopram + meditation.

good luck!

bullethead
04-02-10, 14:25
Thanks for that "NotResponding", I have read the Claire Weekes book and felt great for about a week, then like an idiot I started asking myself "do I really feel better?" and checking for symptoms and before I knew it I was right back down again. Trying to maintain the positive moods when they come along seems almost impossible and that's why I really fear not ever getting "back to normal".
Right that's enough negativity for one day, gonna try and get back to the facing, accepting, floating and letting time pass!

bullethead
04-02-10, 14:29
Thanks Idstain. You mention medication and this is something I really haven't wanted to consider as (probably incorrectly) I'd always thought there is no way back once on that path. Is it possible to only be on medication for a relatively short period and does it really help? Maybe I need to go back to my GP (again!).

bullethead
04-02-10, 14:31
Thanks Idstain. You mention medication and this is something I really haven't wanted to consider as (probably incorrectly) I'd always thought there is no way back once on that path. Is it possible to only be on medication for a relatively short period and does it really help? Maybe I need to go back to my GP (again!).

When I say medication I meant the citalopram.....I wasn't mis-reading the word "meditation" :). Although might have to give that a go too!

Brunette
04-02-10, 15:20
NotResponding says it all - above everything else it is your thoughts that need to change and the way in which you view/deal with certain situations.

You don't sound as if you are suffering as badly as some, indeed you seem to be feeling ok at least some of the time, so I would advise you to avoid medication if you can and only take it short term if you feel you need it - remember it will NOT cure your anxiety, it will only lessen the worst of the symptoms.

B

Idstain
04-02-10, 15:26
Thanks for that "NotResponding", I have read the Claire Weekes book and felt great for about a week, then like an idiot I started asking myself "do I really feel better?" and checking for symptoms and before I knew it I was right back down again. Trying to maintain the positive moods when they come along seems almost impossible and that's why I really fear not ever getting "back to normal".
Right that's enough negativity for one day, gonna try and get back to the facing, accepting, floating and letting time pass!

haha i seem to remember doing exactly the same thing. when you first read self help for your nerves you think "omg i am basically cured now!" and then when you slip back you become dismayed and think there's something more serious wrong with you. I was convinced i had x and y for ages and i still get the odd flash of fear but i just see it for what it is and it will pass if i just accept it.

Citalopram can be a great help. It's not addicve so you can come off whenever, i think you may have been getting confused with benzodiazepines like diazepam which are very addictive if you take them too frequently.

Only problem with citalopram is that it takes a bit of time to work properly (like i said my brother took 4 months to get back to full health on seroxat which is similar but then again he was a severe case). I'd definitely give it a go, they can treat anxiety very well.

don't be too put off by the horror stories you may read about side effects and such, they only occur in about 10% of people and they are usually only at the beginning of the course anyway. :)

bullethead
04-02-10, 16:46
Thanks Idstain and Brunette for your responses. I'll keep trying to change the way I think as that seems to hold the key, that said it's good to know that medication need not be as scary as it sounds.