PDA

View Full Version : just started sertraline feel awful

jackie26
04-02-10, 15:39
hi i have just been prescribed sertraline today 50mg. took it about 2 hours ago and already feel awful, really panicky and anxious, exactly what i was scared ofhappening with meds. anyone else had a reaction like this so quickly, sorry just very scared adn don't like this feeling at all:mad:

KK77
04-02-10, 15:45
Very natural to feel like you do Jackie. I'm on 50mg too and in the beginning I did get heightened anxiety but not so quickly as you seem to have. The drug wouldn't have peaked in your blood levels so quickly so it could be your own anticipation of fearing the worst too!

It does take a few weeks or more for the drug to start having a positive effect but I would persevere because it's helped me more than any other AD has so far - and I've been on loads.

Hope you feel better soon...

jackie26
04-02-10, 16:05
thanks you probably right and i am just making my self panic waiting for something to happen. glad it has help you hope it does me as well

And1404
05-02-10, 18:57
Hi there, I too just started on Sertraline 50mg, I have broke mine in half and gonna take half for two weeks and then go up to 50mg. I had these about 5 years ago and they are the only AD's that really worked for me. I had a real bad experience with prozac last yr and am now terrified of meds. However I have got to the point where I do need to take them but am real worried about how I am going to feel before I get better.

I took mine this morn and have felt ok up til now, but my stomach has started to churn and I feel real anxious now.

We may be able to help each other through the next couple of weeks Jackie as we both at the same sort of stage xxx

Corinne
05-02-10, 19:11
Are you on any other med? My doctor gave me sertraline (Zoloft) along with Ativan (lorazapam).

jackie26
06-02-10, 10:45
Hi there, I too just started on Sertraline 50mg, I have broke mine in half and gonna take half for two weeks and then go up to 50mg. I had these about 5 years ago and they are the only AD's that really worked for me. I had a real bad experience with prozac last yr and am now terrified of meds. However I have got to the point where I do need to take them but am real worried about how I am going to feel before I get better.

I took mine this morn and have felt ok up til now, but my stomach has started to churn and I feel real anxious now.

We may be able to help each other through the next couple of weeks Jackie as we both at the same sort of stage xxx

hi now on day 3 - not too bad yesterday, abouut 4 mini panics which i somehow managed to control to stop goign full blown, felt shaky all day and headache, dont know if headache cos of tension or cos of meds though prob a bit of both. was supposed to go for a meal last night though wiht my son before he goes away for 6 weeks and couldn't face it so felt crap over that though he understnads. stilll got headache this morning but do feel a little calmer so far but its early yet. i think i am goign to persevere but goign to take tablet at night just to be sure of taking at same timne every day, mornings are difficult don't always get up at same time lol. like everyone else on this site just want to feel better. i am more than happy to keep chatting to help each other through. i usually only take meds for a little while thengive up cos i can't stand side effects but have got to stage where i need them and can't control teh panic anxiety on my own. i keep looking at peoples responses to this med and a lot of people seem to say it has worked better than some others with less side effects so hears hoping they are right. :)

And1404
06-02-10, 13:59
I know exactly what you mean about the meds. I usually give up too. I feelin sickly all the time but my mood has lifted. Just hoping I don't go nuts like I did with fluoxetine, that really scared me. If the side effects get bad whic they shouldn't ad I have had these meds before I will ask the doc to give me some propranolol like he did when I had to come off the Prozac. It reduces the heightened anxiety. Stick in there jackie, I know it's hard! Are you undergoing any therapy?? I gonna have some cbt.

jackie26
06-02-10, 15:00
I know exactly what you mean about the meds. I usually give up too. I feelin sickly all the time but my mood has lifted. Just hoping I don't go nuts like I did with fluoxetine, that really scared me. If the side effects get bad whic they shouldn't ad I have had these meds before I will ask the doc to give me some propranolol like he did when I had to come off the Prozac. It reduces the heightened anxiety. Stick in there jackie, I know it's hard! Are you undergoing any therapy?? I gonna have some cbt.

having counselling at work through occy health its ok but not great. did try cbt before private but it was far too dear so had to stop. gp going to refer me but we all know that the lists are long. i had fluoxetine in oct last year only took 2 made me feel like a zombie, felt really really bad with them. i dont feel sick today just got a thick head - hungover without the booze

And1404
07-02-10, 21:01
I don't feel too bad today, felt very anxious first two days and sickly but so far today been ok. Hope you havin a better day too xx

jackie26
08-02-10, 10:07
I don't feel too bad today, felt very anxious first two days and sickly but so far today been ok. Hope you havin a better day too xx

hi, glad to hear you had a better day. i am now on day 5. still got a slight headache, and a bit groggy first thing, like the feeling you get when you slept to long. panic and anxiety have lessened - hopefully that will contiue, but certainly feel calmer. going to persevere with these little tablets as the mild headache far outways the anxiety i was having without them. hope you have a good day today:)

And1404
09-02-10, 18:54
Hi Jackie, I noticed the first day that i took the tablet that my bad mood lifted, I too felt quite agitated and on edge for the first couple of days but that seems to have settled now. I do feel quite sleepy and relaxed but hey i am not complaining about that. The only thing that I am a bit worried about is I am aware of my heart beating all the time and sometimes in my throat which I dont like. Day 5 today for me today and feelin less anxious now about the meds. Hope things are going well for you today too xx

jackie26
10-02-10, 10:03
hi andi1404, glad to hear you feeling better. i feel as though i can hear my heart beating as well, not all the time, mainly at night when i lie down, i just try and ignore it. got a little bit of musle ache down left side of my chest which is strating to freak me out again, but i am trying to tell myself i have had it before exactly the same and it was fine, but i am getting anxious about it. like you feel sleepy, sleeping like a log at night best in a long time but could easily sleep all day as well, never mind better than panicking all day i guess. have a good day x

And1404
11-02-10, 20:07
Hi Jackie, hope you are having a good day today, am still feeling ok on these tablets, less anxious and unable to have a panic attack strangely. Felt like I was going to have one yest but my body didnt go into panic mode which was strange but am not complaining!! Hope you good too xx

jackie26
12-02-10, 09:06
Hi Jackie, hope you are having a good day today, am still feeling ok on these tablets, less anxious and unable to have a panic attack strangely. Felt like I was going to have one yest but my body didnt go into panic mode which was strange but am not complaining!! Hope you good too xx

hi, i am so glad you still feeling ok and that you not having panic attacks. i am now on day 8 and have been feeling fine, tired but fine up til yest, like you could have gone to full blown panic mode but it didin't but i do feel jittery today, not sure why. i just feel at that point where you can feel the panic just brewing under the surface, i hope it will go away cos like you i was feeling fine on these meds. it could be cos my line manager is due to phone me today to see how things are and i feel dread about that cos i can't give her an answer as to what is causing me to panic and i am running out of sick time beofre they cut my wage which i can't afford to happen, - which i could win the lottery so i didn't have to work lol. sorry i am rambling a bit this morning. i really hope you continue to have good days:hugs:

KazD
14-03-10, 19:55
Hi I've just come off paroxatine and been put on sertraline as I wasn't coping. Day 1 I had really bad nausia then nothing till day 4 when I kept feeling dizzy, day 5 and 6 within 30 minutes of taking the tablet I have a crushing feeling in my head and really bad headache, the only way I could cope was by going back to sleep for hours. Going to try taking tablet at night as I have to go work tomorrow and cant cope with this pain at work.

WICKED123
17-03-10, 15:23
Hey everyone, I've been on Sertraline 50mg for 4 weeks just been to the doctors today and have now been prescribed a 100mg it's a bit crazy because I feel so dizzy and very weird (sick feeling) after taking my first one today. I suppose it's just my body getting used to the higher dose though!

hannybun
17-03-10, 17:06
hello there

i read today in my mag that for the first 2\weeks of this med it can increase\anxiety/panic xx

jackie26
17-03-10, 21:05
hi i am just going into my second week of 100mg and have to say i do feel a lot better for it. i do sometimes still feel a little woozy but i think that is either cos i have not eaten properly. :)