PDA

View Full Version : Are dark moles bad?

tashbarnes87
05-02-10, 09:15
Ok i do not know why i just did this but i read a report on skin cancer on the suns website. Someone who has just recently died 'reported a dark mole on his neck' im really really scared now. I have tons of dark moles some are really dark as well. As far as i know they do not have any of the danger signs but im reallllly worred not :( stupid internet x

NatalieSmith
05-02-10, 09:22
Hi there :D
I don't think you should worry about it! Maybe they're all just "beauty spots". I have a lot of them too, but I've never had any danger signs as well. Just stay calm, and if you're really scared about it, go see a doctor to get these checked. I'm sure it will be nothing, but it would give you some peace of mind. :) Oh, and try not to search these things on internet! I know how dr. Google can make us even more scared, so try not to go around searching for it. D:

Hope you feel better soon! And don't worry :hugs:

rebeccad
05-02-10, 10:02
tash, everybody has dark mole some more than others as we get older they get darker also. As long as they are not changing in shape or drastically getting darker they are fine, if you are at all worried get them checked by your doc,
xx

marley
05-02-10, 10:50
Hi there -

Firstly, moles/freckles/beauty spots come in different shapes and sizes and are generally nothing to worry about UNLESS they either change (this means changing shape, itching, bleeding) or fulfill the ABCD criteria (I'm sure the article you read would have mentioned this if it was a legitimate source of medical information!)

Secondly, if you're not satisfied or want some peace of mind, go to your doctor to get the moles checked out. They will either assess the moles individually or refer you to a dermatologist. This is very, very common (hey I'm Australian, we're taught in school to look out for skin cancers and to go to the doctor when we feel unsure).
A dermatologist will remove any mole which is suspicious, even if they don't think it's cancerous. One of the reasons that the skin cancers have such a good survival rate (yes, even the feared melanoma when it's diagnosed early) is because they are routinely identified and easily excised.

Thirdly, you have health anxiety... may I suggest that you resist reading articles related to health matters and dangerous conditions:winks:? You're triggering your own fears! It's as bad as going to Dr Google! :doh:

Cell block H fan
05-02-10, 11:01
I remember going to the docs to show him a dark mole on my nipple. Was well embarrassing when he got the magnifying glass out lol But he said its fine. But it was a strange looking thing, small but half of it was almost black & half was a light brown & it had kinda darker freckles on the light bit! That was years ago, & its still there.
I think its more if they change really, or overly itch. My ex husband had some itchy ones removed about a year or so ago as a precaution, we still keep in touch on facebook & he's not mentioned they were bad x

SamanthaAU
05-02-10, 11:29
Some people just have extra dark ones.

Did you know too, that moles can darken and appear during pregnancy!

Cell block H fan
05-02-10, 11:44
Some people just have extra dark ones.

Did you know too, that moles can darken and appear during pregnancy!

Yes! Ive heard that before actually now you come to mention it. Thats probably about the time the one on my nipple went darker lol

tashbarnes87
05-02-10, 12:13
thanks all, loads of moles grew & appeared during my last pregnancy and the doc said it was all hormonal. im not 'worried' about them as the ABC is fine its just the wording of the article i guess. One that did appear on my back scares me, its the size of O and its perfectly round & looks completley harmless but its becuase i know it appeared during the last pregnancy. I have a massive mole on my boob to the side about the size of a big pea ( sorry couldnt think of anything it looked like lol) & that haas got bigger but the doc said its becuase of where it is & various things growing. God it does my head in. I have loads of moles & its a constant worry!