PDA

View Full Version : social anxiety plz respond

uk guy
30-12-05, 17:01
i have this problem thats playing on my mind all the time.when somesones talking to me i get really anxious and i cant concentrate on what they are saying to me.somone can be talking to me for like 5 mins and afterwards i wont remember a thing they said to me.people think im not listening to them when they talk to me.i am,i just cant concentrate cos of my anxiety.does anyone else have a similar sort of anxiety?please respond.

nomorepanic
30-12-05, 17:08
Hi and welcome aboard the forum.

Try these previous posts....

Talking issues: problem with conversations (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3011)

Panic during conversations? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=386)

Depressed again - scared of people (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5296)

Nicola

LottaLagg
30-12-05, 19:25
You may have an attention disorder too. Ake you doctor to be check for ADHD. Good luck!

[8D]
Lotta

"One Oneness One"

ItWillPass
30-12-05, 19:34
I could have written that post myself. I have the same exact issue. When people talk to me I start to feel light headed, and sometimes even nauseous. I get so focused on trying to look normal that often I do not hear what the person said. I have just been trying to expose myself to more people, and go up to people to talk, lol just for practice. When someone is talking I try to hold on to main ideas and repeat them in my head, just so I get the basics of the conversation. I know im not much help, but I think what you are experiencing is pretty normal.

"I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance, never settle for the path of least resistance... When you get the chance to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance"

"This too shall pass..."

Piglet
30-12-05, 21:02
This is very common - I too have experienced this.

When your general anxiety levels drop this improves too.

Love Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

mico
30-12-05, 23:04
This can be very common with all kinds of anxiety dissorders since your mind finds it difficult to take anything seriously other than what you're anxious about.

However, social anxiety, I find, can be much more subtle in its delivery. I've suffered both social anxiety and general anxiety, but the anxiety generated from social situations throughout my life has been different to the anxiety generated by me general anxiety.

Social anxiety can be very much ingrained into habit, and even with very little 'noticable' anxiety you can still very much notice the effects, such as a lack of concentration.

Although debate will continue to fire up on the subject, I would say that 99% of the inability to concentrate is created by your own inward thinking. This is the dialogue that presents itself in your mind, the one that's saying 'I should be listening right now, why arn't I listening?'. This is the voice that goes over and over, mocking your self-esteem and generall killing any enthusiasm to just be yourself.

Since this dialogue is ticking over inside you like a madman let loose in a playground, there's no longer any room to take in what's going on around you. You're in a state where all you can concentrate on is what's going on inside, whilst everything outside gets slung to one side. Once you understand this concept you can slowly start chiseling away at the internal vocalist and begin to appreciate the things that surround you.

Don't know if this helps at all, but it's food for thought.

mico

'Security is mostly superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding Danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.'

pfidelus
02-01-06, 12:18
Have you tried acupunture? I tired few secions and it did work for me. Also yo u can get good herbal medication from Herbal Inn (UK)

kirgray
02-01-06, 12:41
Hi guy

I get this a lot!. I am quite an outgoing girl-but when a conversation starts up my eyes go blurry, I cant focus, I go light headed and the most horrendous pressure creeps up my head!. Urgh its awful- then I jus want to run and escape-but funnily I never do run-but I do find it hard to keep a conversation flowing.

Do you have any remedies for coping with this?

This may freak people out and am slightly concerned have thought this but when theres alot of people around me I just want to scream shut up!!
its quite bizarre! anybody advise please?.

K X

uk guy
06-01-06, 17:53
thanks for the replies.because of my concentration/anxiety problems ive had to give up college which is a huge dissapointment.does anyone know if taking medication can cause anxiety to the point where you cant follow a conversation?

Meg
07-01-06, 13:10
Hi

Could you not postpone college for a season rather than give it up altogether which would give you time to work on your issues and go back renewed.

Colleges are very understanding about these sorts of issues

What sort of medication ?

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

rois
13-01-06, 13:58
This happens to me sometimes too, you focus so muchon your anxiety and controlling it that you can think of nothing else. I think the more yo're in a social situation, the more you get used to it- i've got a chek to talk I'm in a state before I go anywhere. Until you grt used to it try the nodding dog strategy, nod and smile when you think it's the right time to, good luck,
rois

"Ther goes the fear, let it go. You turn around and life's passed you by, you look to those you love to justify...there goes the fear."

heavymind
31-01-06, 15:58
Hi,
I used to have this problem very severe at times, but I think I have gone out of it now. One-One conversation was ok mostly but was not okay only when I was very stressed or the person was athoritative figure. I used to find it very very uncomfortable to talk in a group. I wouldnt be listening to what other people are talking, I just used to be in a blank state. It like total empty space, it is more like universe hadnt started to exist. Nonexistence, no matter with in my head.

But before even I knew it was social anxiety, a friend of mine pointed out that I was very uncomfortable in groups. Until then I hadnt made a consious attempt to improve, because I only half knew that there was a problem. Blank emptiness, was not letting me understand existence of anything including the problem. Once it was pointed out to me, I started making gradual process. I remembered to LISTEN properly to what others are saying, rather than focus on my blankness and nonexistence of universe. Once I shifted the focus from inside to the outside, slowly , I started becoming comfortable. These days I am more than comfortable in groups. Only that still I have to consiously remember to break the ice and kick start the universe's existence, else it is very easy to slip into nonexistence and inward focus.

There are some subtle avoidance tactics that we use, to try and avoid anxiety provoking situations. A better alternative is to try and gradually move from total avoidance to partial avoidance and then to no avoidance. When we put ourself through a situation, we will discover that we actually are very good at socializing, actually its only the anxiety that blocks us out.

Gradually as we learn to perform in more and more situations, we get used to doing well and the anxiety becomes so less that its now the anxiety that goes nonexistant and not our minds.

In short
1. OUTWARD FOCUS, KEEP EARS AND EYES OPEN.
2. STOP AVOIDANCE BEHAVIOR AND CONSIOUSLY MAKE EVERY ATTEMPT TO TALK.

Ram