PDA

View Full Version : Stopping Lexapro; feeling yucky

bsam
05-02-10, 16:36
Took Lexapro for anxiety then added Buspar; took both for 3 months then decided to stop the Lexapro last week. Buspar works well but the side effects of stopping Lexapro are almost unbearable. Having bad dreams, head zingers, dizziness and flu symptoms....anyone with a similar experience and how long til my body readjusts?

Worrier
05-02-10, 17:05
Hi bsam,

I stopped Lexapro after almost 3 years with no effects, but I did do it very gradually, went from 7 days a week to every other day, then just Wednesday and Sunday etc.

It sounds like you stopped cold turkey - probably not a good idea.

Take care and hope things improve.
Natalie x

rooby
05-02-10, 17:37
hi and sorry to hear you are feeling rough. I stopped lexapro myself by gradually cutting a little bit off the tablet each couple of days. Sounds silly but break in half, then cut one half into half again and while it's a bit fiddly it did work. Don't be too quick about reducing, stay at 3/4 of tablet for a few days before cutting a bit more off for the next few days.

it worked for me hope it helps

unfortunately my dep/panic came back some months later and i am back on them. They are not too bad really. :)

bsam
05-02-10, 21:38
Thanks for the responses...I did cut back to every other day for a week then stopped. I was only taking 10mg per day and my nurse practitioner advised I could just stop. So. I guess I'll just ride it out. A bit worried b/c the negative/worrisome thoughts are resurfacing so I'm hoping the Buspar will be able to work solo.